Sterkoder's 480 km tour Kristiansund-Åndalsnes-Dombås-Oppdal-Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sterkoder's 480 km tour Kristiansund-Åndalsnes-Dombås-Oppdal-Kristiansund

As I wrote in the cruiseship in norwegian waters-thread, I made a long trip by car Thursday 4. August 2011.
    I also wrote that my trip consisted of pictures of all kinds, and instead of using a large amount of time to spread them around in all correct threads, I make one thread for them all.

Here's my route with some of the places I took pictures

The main reason for my trip was to take pictures of "Costa Pacifica" in Åndalsnes.

I started at home, in Kristiansund, but did not start to take pictures until I drove off the ferry at Sølsnes.
    Here's the ferry I remember from my childhood, "Tingvoll"

Before coming to Isfjorden, I took a picture of Åndalsnes towards the mountain Romsdalshorn

And with Isfjorden as a background, there was the first sight of "Costa Pacifica" (smoke is from a fire far behind the ship)

The cruiseship with Romsdalshorn and the city of Åndalsnes

Last edited by Sterkoder; August 6th, 2011, 01:04.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Re: Sterkoder's 480 km tour Kristiansund-Åndalsnes-Dombås-Oppdal-Kristiansund

Then, at Åndalsnes it was easy to find a place to park and it was time for one of my busiest days as a photographer (and the hottest: 26 degrees Celsius in the shadow)
    "Costa Pacifica" moored at the only quay, outside the trainstation

The trains are not as nice to look at as the old ones, in example the diesel locomotive Di.3

Lucily it was low tide, and I found a small "beach"

I'm so sorry to post so many of the same ship, but I simply can't choose one

Comment

Impressive ship

Comment

Then it was time to take some other pictures, or at least compose/mix the "Costa Pacifica" into my other images.
        But first, heres the ex.(I belive) Fjord1MRF car ferry "Aure", acting as a bar/restaurant during the music festival RaumaRock that started Friday 5. August.

The train cart chapel

Some flowers I found

Framed by a tree

The train to Dombås

Trainstation and crowd of happy people (I would guess)

Comment

Constantly changed position for new angles, you see....

As a background for the town square

Åndalsnes is the end station at Raumabanen

Then it was about time to head on up Romsdal toward Dombås. First stop was of course the spotter place for Trollveggen (Wall of Trolltindene mountains).
          This wall has been used for basejumping, but has taken so many lives it is now prohibited to jump there.

I only stood there with my mouth open. Must have looked rather silly..., but what words could I use to describe these mountains? I don't know...

Comment

The spottermobile had to be in the frame, but even now as you have a known size in the picture, you can't see how HUGE these mountans are

Then I drove to the highest point of the road in Romsdal (before Bjorli, Lasja and all that of course).
            Here's the beautyful stone bridge Stuguflåten

Then I drove past Bjorli and Lesja, many motifs passed my windows, but I was a bit pressed for time so I'll have to go back some day. Next stop and dinner at Dombås, here with Dombås church built in 1939

And of course the well known, mandatory, dinner place; FRICHs Restaurant
            Last edited by Sterkoder; August 10th, 2011, 16:22.

Comment

As I love to take pictures of old (and often abandoned) houses, I've grown an interest of architecture.
              The most beautiful station buildings along the norwegian railways must be architect Erik Waldemar Glosimodts five buildings at Dovrebanen, which runs from Støren south of Trondheim to Dombås:
              Fokstua, Vålåsjø, Hjerkinn, Kongsvoll and Drivstua.

Dovrebanen opened 17. September 1921, and when going by train to Trondheim to celebrate this the day after, the train had a terrible accident at Heimdal just before Trondheim, killing Mr. Glosimodt.
              Sadly he got to see his masterpieces at work for just a day or so...
              I did not stop at Fokstua, so my first stop after Dombås was Hjerkinn. And just look at this design...., breathtaking...!

The cargo and luggage building

Detail from the main building
              Last edited by Sterkoder; August 6th, 2011, 11:40.

Comment

Then, across the main road E-6, is the road church 'Eisteinskirken' (Church of Eistein), built in the late 1960's I belive, to celebrate the pilgrims to Nidaros (Trondheim), as the route of the pilgrims and the Kongeveien runs over Dovrefjell here. Please fikll me in, I'm almost out of knowledge on this one.

Comment

If you are still with me...., let's go to Kongsvoll and another masterpiece of Mr. Glosimodt.
                  Kongsvoll station, and as you can see, much the same design and ornaments

The cargo and luggage building

To get to Kongsvoll station from E-6, you have to pass over a narrow old iron bridge. This is the view beneath

Comment

Then, finally, a long time dream to picture this, and the station building making me aware that Mr. Glosimodt was the architect; Drivstua station just a few miles up from Oppdal.
                    Here's the old locomotive stable/stall

Details around the main door.
                    (You know, Glosimodt also drew old Narvesen kiosks (one still stands at Karl Johan not far from the Stortinget), assisted in a renewal of Grand Hotal at Karl Johan in Oslo, Palads hotel at City Hall place in Copenhagen and much more we can se familiar lines from)

Drivstua main building (had to cut the right side due to a modern blue trailer which was parked there close to the wall)

Cargo and luggage building

Comment

Detail of that cargo building

Then Cecilia told me I was rather good at positioning myself to get a nicely composed picture at the first click.
                      Well, it must be up to others to decide, but let me show you what I mean:

When taking pictures of such a lovely and old stationbuilding and area, I want as less modern features in my frame as possible.
                      By using a certain amount of time to look at your picture through the viewfinder before you push the button, much is done.
                      By moving just 15-20 centimeters to the left and bend my knees just a notch, I got rid of the modern steel lightpole there...., see...?

Oooops, there it was...

Well, then I drove to Oppdal, (pictures uploaded in the Oppdal-thread from a trip a few days ago), so my next stop was that old house at Ålvundfjord pictured so good by Jan-Olav in his round trip-thread.
                      Then I asked him if he took a picture of the window with all those bottles, which I remember from my childhood driving past that building with my parents. He didn't...., but I did. Here's the house first

And the window

Then, I don't know if you remember the picture of my Linjegods truck parked at a restplace after Ålvundfjord on the way to Tingvoll...?
                      Then you could see the mountains and fjord unobstructed.
                      That was early 1990s, but look at it now, as I parked my spottermobil at the same spot for comparison. All overgrown, destroying the fantastic view we once had along our roads

Ok, folks...., we've come to the end of my pictures from this long roadtrip. Hope you enjoyed it....
                      Last edited by Sterkoder; August 9th, 2011, 06:58.

Comment

a great trip Svein,and even more great images.
                        love those railwaybuildings,very colorful also,you don't see that overhere.
                        i even reconise the 2 biggest trees (the right and the middle one) of the image above and that from the truck image.
                        must bring memories back of the ''good old days''.
                        best regards Thijs

Comment

Oh Oh Oh Oh !!!!!!….Seagull jumping up and down and fluffing her feathers in delight…..BUT she has to go out now
                          Couldn’t resist a sneak peep while I was posting Tommi’s birthday card though…Oh look at all those stations … back later!….

Comment

So much to delight!
                            Normally I’d be writing a paragraph of appreciation about the excellent Tingvoll ferry, but my attention was soon drawn to the last photo of this first post which is my favourite for showing that even this big ship is dwarfed by the mountains in this part of Norway. And then in post #2 the first photo of ship plus train –that was when I realised that this is the same Costa ship that Nichu photographed together with a helicopter in the Trondheim thread!

Of the ones of the ship that follow which you couldn’t choose between, I was immediately drawn to #2/5, which is indeed the one I already admired in the Cruise ship thread. I also like the head-on “pakarang” view version, #2/3. I can see that you wanted to show more surroundings in photo #2/4, and normally I would go along with this strategy (as I recently did in your Kristiansund photos of Discovery) but somehow here it feels a bit unbalanced and the extra scenery doesn’t add a lot. Just my reaction.
                            Of the “dramatic viewpoint “ ones I liked #3/3 better than #3/4. I think it was because there was the line of the quay as well as the ropes leading up to the ship, and maybe simply because it was a more unusual and imaginative view.

That shot with the flowers really works well, and then the train to Dombås reminds me of the train and station platform one I was enthusing about recently, and I like this for the same reasons. It is fast becoming a classic Sterkoder train view!

Good to see the happy looking tourists, and also single out another ship view in #5/2, before heading with you to Trollveggen…guess I have my mouth open looking silly right now also. What else can I say of such scenery!

Here you go again –it’s #6/4, the portrait format of the bridge is the one I prefer. The image of Dombås church catches all the subtle colours and textures of the walls and roof.

And so to the railway stations. Well you know I have a thing for Scandinavian railway stations, so don’t expect me to come up with too much purely photographic comments and feedback . I am now motivated to find out more about this architect. I love the colours used in contrast with the dark wood, the styles of columns (the porch corners in #7/2, and in 7/5, 9/3), and the doors themselves.
                            It’s a charming detail you noticed in #7/6.

You ask about that pilgrims church…well that’s easy as I immediately found it on a really useful website someone introduced me to recently!!!!!
                            Eystein kyrkja was built in 1969 and is named after the King Eystein who built a church here in the 1100’s. The present church was designed by Magnus and Anton Poulsson. Magnus died eleven years before the church was completed, but then I’m struggling a bit with translation, but presume Anton finished the work. The church search website also gives details of the interior of the church, mentioning the soapstone font and pulpit, and the rose window.

Well I knew I had heard of architect Magnus Poulsson before! Of course, the Oslo City Hall!
                            (I don’t know anything about Anton, but Magnus Poulsson had an architect son Esben who designed Havøysund church.)

Then to Drivstua station, and I specially like the way the grass roof is emphasised in the upwards-looking view of #10/5

What a great photography lesson in that example you gave of perfect careful positioning!

Finally the bottles in the window have been captured, and what a "then and now" to finish with!

Comment

You ask about that pilgrims church…well that’s easy as I immediately found it on a really useful website someone introduced me to recently!!!!!
                              Well, I didn't find it in that webpage. I might have written the name wrong. Have to do another search, because I want to see the interior...
                              (EDIT: Yepp, had to write Eystein kyrkja. Incredible how exact one has to write down the search).

I'm so thankful for all your inputs, and for you enjoying the trip also.
                              I guess I'm at the peak of what's possible from me at this point, but thanks to you and others, I'm still learning....
                              One thing I might do, (to please viewers, because I don't like it at all myself), is to include more of the scenery around my objects when taking pictures. We'll see...

I tell you, if you find something to read about architect Glosimodt, you have some interesting time ahead.

Have to go back and read comments and compare images again
                              Last edited by Sterkoder; August 6th, 2011, 22:42.

Comment

Working...
                              X