This is Svalbard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Svalbard

I couldn't find a suitable exsting thread to post this BBC link to news from Svalbard, but perhaps making a thread for Svalbard will be useful in the future.

The BBC reports a death following an attack by a polar bear on a British expedition group for young people:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14415592

Re: This is Svalbard

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
    ....but perhaps making a thread for Svalbard will be useful in the future.
    …and eventually it is! However I’m just going to post rather randomly selected photos, and without much explanation. The context of my travels, in August 2012, is to be found in the thread for MS Nordstjernen.

I'll start with some photographs taken in Longyearbyen.

Comment

Longyearbyen

This illustrates the necessity of running the utilities in pipes above the permafrost level and buildings are raised on piles.

Comment

Comment

View looking towards the old cemetery, and also showing old mine working on the hillside.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Sculpture of a miner.

The central terminal of the aerial cableway, which was used to transport coal from the mines to the harbour.

Comment

Inside the museum, which is new since my previous visit to Svalbard in 1999.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Polar bear warning roadsigns mark the limits of the settlement, beyond which a firearm must be carried.

Comment

That must be among the most photographed road sign in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                            That must be among the most photographed road sign in the world.
                            Yes indeed –and generally with someone insisting on standing next to it! I had to get in the queue to take it just as a feature against that wonderful landscape and continually changing light.

As D had a digital camera as far back as 1998, I thought I’d ask him if I could see photos from the previous visit to Svalbard in 1999. Sure enough, I thought I remembered taking such a photo. (It wasn’t until the year 2000 that I was actually allowed to borrow his camera when away on my own! –and was so pleased with the results that I subsequently bought my own camera and turned totally digital.)

This was always the particular sign that tour trips stopped at, but back then it was black/white reversed.

There is an even more interesting “then and now” comparison, this time with my photo #10/2 when the low cloud had lifted just sufficiently to see the remaining snow from the previous winter higher up the mountainside. You can just make out a wine-glass shape. Apparently it is a great guessing game each summer to forecast when the “glass” bowl becomes detached from its “stem”.

In 1999, this had clearly happened long before the photo was taken on the 22nd July. Whereas this year the snow hadn’t melted and the “wine glass” was still intact! I wonder if it ever did before the new snow of this winter!

Comment

Fascinating pictures! Interesting, that also there the number of traffic signs is heavily increasing. Three times as much as in 1999, if you compare #12 and #14.
                              Someone should look after the small letter box house in #4/2, since a traverse is broken.
                              One of my favourites is #5, spooky, how the cemetary crosses are spread under that mine equipment. Just the place a body will fall, if it is thrown out of that mine...
                              The other one is #10/2, could be a perfect advertisement picture for these new sporty SUV's like BMW X6 or Range Rover Evoque.
                              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Working...
                              X