This is Geiranger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Geiranger

We have threads for many place in Norway, large and small, but none dedicated to maybe the most photographed place in the country - GEIRANGER. To remedy that I will start one here.

Yes, there are a lot of webcam pictures from Geiranger in the "Sameness" thread, and Geiranger features widely in other threads.

With the upcoming Cruise Season, with hundred and fifty or more cruise ship visits in Geiranger and thousands of tourists passing through, this should be a timely addition to the "Kingdom of Norway" main thread on CVF.

I have collected a number of old pictures from the web, showing Geiranger as it once was, which should be suitable to kick it off.

It may even open a possibility for a "Before and Now" comparison.

The oldest one I could find. Geiranger 1880-90:
    Last edited by ombugge; April 27th, 2011, 05:43. Reason: correction

Cruise Ships in Geiranger, 1906:

Geiranger 1910:

Comment

Geiranger seen from the West (Unknown date):

And to kick off the "Before and Now" comparison, a more recent view from the west:

Here is one that is remarkably alike to the Webcam pictures that features in the "Sameness" thread. This one from autumn 1926:

Comment

Here is one of the most famous pictures from Geiranger:

I read an interview with the girl that is featured here, Ms. Mjelva, some time ago.

Another famous picture from Geiranger of old. One of the cars that took tourist up to Dalsnipa passing under a "fly-over":

And the snow banks on either side of the road:

Remember, this road had been cleared without the aid of modern equipment.

Comment

Communication to/from Geiranger was by Steamers on the fjord. This one from 1935:

Until the purpose built Carferry arrived on the scene in 1937:

Comment

And Oernevegen across the mountains to Eidsdal was completed:

Among all the hustle and bustle of the tourist season it was time to prepare for winter and isolation, sometimes for months. Here is mutton shanks and ribs being dried:

Comment

The Seven Sisters looks "bigger" then they are these days:

Challenge is passed. Anybody visiting Geiranger this summer who can take "Now" pictures to match the "Before" above??

Comment

Remember, this road had been cleared without the aid of modern equipment.
                They had no huge machinery to move snow like we do today, so then they had to "remove" most of the snow before they brought in their ploughs and stuff.
                The way they did that was, since they knew the position of the road beneath the snow, to scatter soot over that roadpath.
                Then, as the sun warmed the soot, the snow melted in that sooted path and there they were, left with just enough snow to handle....

EDIT: Oh, and yes..., this was of course a great idea for a new thread, 'ombugge'!!!
                "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                  They had no huge machinery to move snow like we do today, so then they had to "remove" most of the snow before they brought in their ploughs and stuff.
                  The way they did that was, since they knew the position of the road beneath the snow, to scatter soot over that roadpath.
                  Then, as the sun warmed the soot, the snow melted in that sooted path and there they were, left with just enough snow to handle....

EDIT: Oh, and yes..., this was of course a great idea for a new thread, 'ombugge'!!!
                  I thought that they used manure for the "colouring", but otherwise agree. It was common effort by the small community living in Geiranger for the common good. (Would that be possible to find today??)

Comment

Well, in a programme on norwegian television about the re-opening of winterclosed roads in that area, they used soot.
                    I've also heared manure, but in conjunction with roads to/around big farms and such...

Anyway; as for the 'common effort for common good'....
                    The society has turned out so cold and individual today, I don't know where you'll find that. Maybe like Geiranger, smaller communities in small fjords...
                    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Amazing seeing these historical images from Geiranger: very interesting to see how the place has changed over the years.
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Re: This is Geiranger

Ever wondered what Geiranger is like during winter?

http://kortreist.adressa.no/turer/no...ticle11187.ece

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thanks for that, Captain!

I remember when I fell in love with Geiranger, and saying something how I would love to live there, I remember my mom saying "Oh, don't be ridiculous, Elizabeth...you'd have no way to make a living in the winter with no tourists."

See, people DO live there in wintertime.

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                            See, people DO live there in wintertime.
                            There is, but naturally, a lot less than in summer.

You should really look into a good book from this place.... I will have look for a copy for you. It's called "Geiranger" and is written Arne Åsheim and Oddgeir Bruaset.

Comment

Permanent population in Geiranger: 205
                              Last edited by ombugge; March 17th, 2012, 16:17.

Comment

Working...
                              X