Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Tromsø

A few photos taken last friday morning.

It still quiet at this time in the morning.

Christmas tree in the square

The rescue company's boats moored outside the office in the inner harbor.

Best wishes from Bengt Domben

The cutter Hermes II turned 100 in 2017, and marked the anniversary with a not so small role in Harald Zwarts new film "The 12th Man".
    The film is about Jan Baalsrud's escape from the Germans during WWII.

Comment

Ohhh.... thank you so much for this very much appreciated and perfect Christmas gift.

Tromsø is a beautiful city and I have lots of really great memories from the north here.

That Peppe's Pizza down by the dock must have been there for many decades already. I seem to remember it 3 decades ago already. Or perhaps it was another pizza chain back then?

Oh, and at the location of Apotek1 was three decades ago, the post office and Postsparebanken I remember.... my place to get cash, with the help of a draw-book.

But, I may need some help to locate the exact location of the first image.... I can see it's in Storgata, but not where along the street. I would guess immediately beneath the former cinema, now library?

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Peppe's pizza has been in these premises for a long time, but I don't know how long.

When you round the corner to the right where the people are standing and talking, you enter Cora Sandel's street and look straight up at the former Focus cinema.

Comment

Originally posted by DS Lyngen View Post
          Peppe's pizza has been in these premises for a long time, but I don't know how long.

When you round the corner to the right where the people are standing and talking, you enter Cora Sandel's street and look straight up at the former Focus cinema.
          Oh, so wonderful - then I'm online as to the exact location. Tromsø is such a wonderful place, and seeing these images, they bring back lots of memories of both big, and small, rather insignificant events.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

The bathing boat Vulkana north Tromsø strait a few days ago.
            Here is a link to the website of Vulkana which has been a permanent feature here in Tromsø for many years.
            https://vulkana.no/

The gravel ship Martin H unload gravel in the background.

Comment

The bathing boat appears to be a very creative way to spend the day in Tromsø.

It would be great fun to try out this product some time in the future.

Website link saved for future reference!

Comment

When the sun shines on Tromsø Maritime School, it means that the sun is definitely back in Tromsø again.

Solen skinner på Tromsø Maritime Skole by DS Lyngen, on Flickr

Comment

• nari
                  nari commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What a fabulous photo of a lovely city...I am looking forward to being back in Norway on 25th March....on Lofoten, of course. No other ships will do.

• DS Lyngen
                  DS Lyngen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you nari for your comment

When the sun shines on Tromsø Maritime School, it means that the sun is definitely back in Tromsø again.

Solen skinner på Tromsø Maritime Skole by DS Lyngen, on Flickr
                Nice image from a very familiar place. It looks exactly like nearly three decades ago, just the way I remember it.

Comment

You're right in that, this building hasn't changed much over the past 40 years outside.
                  When I joined the mate's school back in 1981-82, it looked the same.
                  It has of course been upgraded over the years outside and inside, but if you go for a walk you will have no problems recognizing the classrooms and where you had your regular school desk.

Comment

You're right in that, this building hasn't changed much over the past 40 years outside.
                    When I joined the mate's school back in 1981-82, it looked the same.
                    It has of course been upgraded over the years outside and inside, but if you go for a walk you will have no problems recognizing the classrooms and where you had your regular school desk.
                    I have to say that I really enjoyed this school: this was back then the best maritime academy in Norway (even though I didn't have any other school to compare it to).

I will always treasure my time at this school as a very positive experience, and a time of my life when I actually enjoyed school very much.

Comment

The sun this morning seen from island Kvaløya.
                      It was very cold outside this morning -17 so I didn´t stay out for long.

Solen i morges by DS Lyngen, on Flickr

Comment

These old boathouses have a nice location on island Kvaløya.
                        In the background, Island Tromsø and the mountain on the mainland show lots of snow.

Gamle båtnaust by DS Lyngen, on Flickr

Comment

Image number 12 is so worth the trip out: it's literally stunning! The snow-capped peaks, the sun, the frost-smoke.... what an awesome view!

Comment

A winter view from my balcony this morning,island Tromsø with the mountain of Kvaløya in the bacground with fresh new snow from last night.

BED02368 En del av Breivika havn,Tromsø by DS Lyngen, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                            X