No announcement yet.

This is Tromsø

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both boats operate charters out from Tromsø in the form of whale safaris, Northern Lights tours, etc. at this time of the year.

Lovund Express ​​​and Aurora Explorer ​​​​north Tromsø strait this morning.

BED02285 Lovund Express by DS Lyngen, on Flickr

BED02250 Aurora Explorer by DS Lyngen, on Flickr
    Best wishes from Bengt Domben

Comment

Great seeing that the ships and tourism are having good days up north. Kind of amazing that someone wants to PAY to see snow, winter and what the average Norwegian despises.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A long time since the remains of the wreck and the cormorants has been displayed.

A wide angel image of the wreck in Tromsø strait.

The wreck by DS Lyngen, on Flickr

There was seven cormorants this morning taking a sunbath.
        A closer look shows that a bit of the wooden beam has fallen down.

The wreck and the cormorants by DS Lyngen, on Flickr

The wreck with cormorants by DS Lyngen, on Flickr
        Last edited by DS Lyngen; February 28th, 2019, 22:28.

Comment

There is not much left of the rusty iron frames.
          If and when the wooden beams fail, the rest of the stern will collapse and fall to the seabed.

Not much left by DS Lyngen, on Flickr

Comment

Very nice to see it again. It has indeed changed a lot! I believe it will collapse soon. There are some very thin sections and if one fails, it will be a domino effect.
            Did you open a discussion that then there will bee needed an artificial reef to allow the cormorents to continue their sunbathing?
            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Thanks for commenting, Ralf
              What is a pity for the wreck is that this should in some way have been taken care of so that cormorants and other seabirds could have a natural place to sit on when they have their rest periods, but of course no one in the municipality or others who care about this .
              When the remains of the wreck fall into the sea, the birds must find another place where they can be in peace.

If this had been taken care of as an artificial reef, it should have been done at least 25 years ago.
              But for the municipality there would probably only be talk of wasted money if such an idea had been presented.
              But the wreck has been tough and has lasted for over 90 years so far, so maybe it lasts for a while yet

Comment

Fascinating to see the progression there. Within time, the wreck will eventually collapse.

We have a smilier situation at Ranheim near Trondheim too. Or we had a similar situation. There was remains from a WW2 wooden pier demolished by someone (without permission) a decade back, maybe less. They were sentenced to build a new "resting area" for birds out there as a replacement. I may have gotten all the details completely wrong but this is how I remember it.

Anyhow, there are now some constructions out in the fjord where I see birds rest often. Perhaps it's the same kind of birds too.

One thing too, it almost looks like the birds blend perfectly in with the structure. Both in color and shape.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Most cormorants are now sitting on the old ferry dock in Tromsdalen on the mainland.
                  I counted 52 cormorants today.
                  This ferry quay was in use until Tromsø bridge was opened in 1960.

Cormorants rests on the old ferry dock by DS Lyngen, on Flickr

Cormorant takes a rest breake by DS Lyngen, on Flickr

Cormorant_ by DS Lyngen, on Flickr

Comment

• yvneac
                    yvneac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Fantsatic photos of cormorants. The details of the feathers of this splendid bird are great. Your pictures could be published in an ornithologic review. As a birdwatcher, I'm really impressed. Bravo!

Oh yes, that looks like a good alternative and will last surely for the next 100 years!
                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• DS Lyngen
                    DS Lyngen commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for the comment,Ralf
                    Yes, we hope this old ferry dock will be left in peace for years to come so that cormorants have a place to rest.

Thank you very much for your comment, yvneac
                  A close up of another cormorant

Comment

• yvneac
                    yvneac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    WOW. What an eye (both bird and photographer!).

• DS Lyngen
                    DS Lyngen commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you yvneac

The wreck was always a special place for me - but seeing its current state I am so happy the cormorants have established themselves in a new home. That old ferry quay is also a fascinating and now historic location. But I'm also amazed and thrilled at your exceptional photographic skills in a different genre from that we most associate you with, and your obvious rapport with these exquisite birds.

Comment

Thank you so much for your inspiring comment, Cecilia

The wreck definitely has very little space left for cormorants,
                    so it's nice that there are other places where it can find peace after being out to catch fish during the night.

Comment

Beautiful images of beautiful birds. Especially love the close-ups, I actually had no idea their feathers were that spectacular.

I don't even remember this old ferry dock.... but so happy to see that it's still there and in somewhat complete construction still. Ferry bridges have together with ferries, also evolved I see.

Comment

Working...
                      X