Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walking Bjerkestrand (Kristiansund/Frei)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Walking Bjerkestrand (Kristiansund/Frei)

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    And I felt I could make the picture a bit more interesting by tilting my camera

Sterkoder!

This is NOT a proper tour snack....!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A weatherbeaten and twisted branch

As I jumped over a hole in the rock, I spotted beautiful colours under me. Had to turn back, and this was the result

You have an idea about what happens when you pour concrete in a plastic bag, and remove the plastic after the concrete has cured...?
      Nice, isn't it? Kind of art in my view.

A dying mushroom by those boathouses.

A small roing boat pulled ashore. This one looks like something my grandpa could've built after drawings he found in his old Popular Mechanics.
      Looks like this little dinghy is made out of waterproof plywood and it reminds me of my childhood years at Aspøya

One of the few autumn coloured trees at Bjerkestrand this year. The reason why most of the forests are not so colourful in Norway now as previous years, are due to a 'brunsopp' (in norwegian) brown fungus.
      This again is initiated by a very wet summer.
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

This is the branch of a wild rose bush

And when I took this picture, I almost laughed out so loud that if anyone had seen me, they must've thought I was some sort of maniac.
        Why...? If you've seen the classic funny movie TOP SECRET, you will know instantly

Great view when looking back after walking back towards my home.

If you tried, you might get lucky one in a million times if you tried to hit the top of that small branch with a rowanberry

But the rowan tree managed on the first attemt itself...
        Last edited by Sterkoder; October 22nd, 2011, 22:03.

Comment

Final picture before the rain came pouring down

Hope you enjoyed my walk on this boring day, which came out totally different. Photography get me in a good mood!!!

Comment

This is not the branch of a rose tree, but a rosehip bush

I simply love the simplicity and the look of this photo: this is working very well in my eyes! Well done, and well spotted Sterkoder!

I'm really glad you took this walk, and that it turned out to be worth it. From the images, I can clearly see it was a good walk, and you got great shots... and best of all, it's really healthy!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

This is good sterkoder, really good. You have the talent to keeping it very interesting, nevertheless that we are looking at old beer cans or tyres, it's still very appealing. That rowanberry was funny, a great finding!

Comment

Just when I have to go, I’ve just seen there’s a new walk in this thread…..I’ll be back Sterkoder to give this the attention it deserves…

Comment

Thank you so much for comments!
                  I was very curious as to how many of my 66 images from todays walk would be blury.
                  Never did a hole series in ISO 1600 before and since my tripod was missing, the images could be anything.
                  Turned out ok though, and I only deleted three.
                  I see a certain improvement from previous years, and I'm happy with that...
                  Funny thing with that concret picture; concrete can be both hard and "soft".
                  Last edited by Sterkoder; October 22nd, 2011, 21:36.

Comment

Sterkoder!

This is NOT a proper tour snack....!
                    I know, I usually drink coffee from a steel thermos when on 'safari'
                    Besides, this tincan came with the sea current, remember?
                    (I'm not a big fan of norwegian beer, so for me it would be better had it been a Tuborg)
                    Last edited by Sterkoder; October 23rd, 2011, 02:24.

Comment

What a start to your walk Sterkoder! You must have felt so pleased you’d decided to go out the moment you saw that leaf. Amazing colour. But yes, that “whatever it’s called” in the second photo is lovely too and I found the sort of diagonally crossing lines in the composition very satisfying.

I couldn’t make my mind up about #118/4 of the “three seasons”…maybe I’d have focussed on the tree…but to be honest if I’d been there I’d most likely have not been able to decide. So in trying to do several with different things in focus I’d probably have missed the boat so to speak!!!

The next image of the leaf and the bark of the tree is it as far as I’m concerned…your absolute image of autumn. …(and how appropriate that as a favourite it should be located near the stone seagull )

The shore in #119/1 takes me back to being there –and always a special subject for you. I can hear those small waves, and the light reflected in that pool bottom left completes the picture.

See, I knew that sailboat’s moment would come if I decided not to focus on it earlier. The panorama with Aspøya is simple and rather emotional.

The tussocks reminded me of Dougal, the shaggy dog in the 1970’s TV animation series “The Magic Roundabout”. Goodness, I haven’t thought about that for ages!!!!!!

In #120 I liked the first one because the chair has the same sort of general shape as the branches strewn on the grassy shore. Oh and I do like that tyre….it has formed it’s very own “rock pool”…or should I say “rubber pool”! Yes, tilted version of the beer can! (I won’t comment on the variety .
                      Hello there…I thought there would be a guest appearance somewhere…sturdy looking look-out-pole I’ve got there!

Haha…pakarang was quick in there with the beer can comment!

The twisted branch in post #122 is almost slightly scary, like a creature or perhaps a giant stick insect, an excellent image in every respect.
                      And I am absolutely intrigued by that concrete…it is indeed art.

The little dinghy is charmingly captured in your photo. Actually it reminds me of my childhood too, but that was a large and similarly shaped basket my grandmother used for collecting and carrying washing from the clothes line …I used to spend hours curled up in it pretending it was a boat, tucked up under a blanket and waterproof, and having with me my most precious belongings.

Photographically that thorny wild rose branch, #123/1, is an absolute winner. For the first time, I start to put it with other images as if at an exhibition, something I so often do with pakarangs. It goes alongside #118/5 of the leaf and the bark.

Thank you for the walk… oh I can hear the squelch as I step though the rain-soaked moss of that last image!

Comment

When I a seldom time shoot with the ISO at automatic, the camera seems to like ISO1600 and ISO3200.... the images turn out to be allright at that ISO speed, but if I manually select 1600 or 3200, they get very grainy.... that I don't really understand. hmmmm.... Should be the same result, right?

You seem to have been very successful at your images, even at this high ISO.

I normally never shoot higher than ISO200 now. There is something still sticking in my mind from the age of the old films: 400 was back then very high film, and 1200 was a film rarely bought.

Comment

I read what you write with interest, Jan-Olav!
                          My experience, with the Pentax, is that having shot a hole lot at ISO200 and struggling with 'this and that', I've lately used 400, struggling less.
                          Now that I shot all from yesterday at 1600, they were all ok.
                          Is it so that ISO for old type films and digital cameras are two different things??
                          I never use 'auto' for anything or at any level no more. I only use 'manual' be it ISO, white balance, way of taking the picture and what not.

Cecilia:
                          Heartfelt thankyou for taking time to comment my images so that I can be a better photographer in the future. Appreciated beyond!!!!
                          This way, as I also have meanings of myself, I'm fortunate enough to pick the best of what you say to melt with my own opinion. That mix should give good results, I hope.
                          Add a couple of others with their info, Pakarang and Tommi, and we almost have ourselves a photography course here

Comment

I read what you write with interest, Jan-Olav!
                            My experience, with the Pentax, is that having shot a hole lot at ISO200 and struggling with 'this and that', I've lately used 400, struggling less.
                            Now that I shot all from yesterday at 1600, they were all ok.
                            The ISO itself should be the same thing, but we have remember that the number stands for the speed or sensitivity of the film or the camera, nothing else. Back in the film-days a higher speed/sensitivity meant almost certainly a more grainier image. This is also true for digital cameras, but here we are talking about noise. This noise is usually a lot less visible than on a film with the same ISO-speed. As camera sensors are developing we constantly see a decrease of noise in our digital images. Modern sensor technology have also made it possible to bump up ISO values to all time high, the most modern DSLR's are capable to use ISO's up to 6400, but honestly the most gives best pictures below 1600.
                            I usually use ISO400 or 800, but if I have to I'll gladly go up to 1600. 3200 is more of a back-up plan and the 6400 is used when nothing else will work. If I can choose, I'll choose noisy pictures over blurred pictures...

Comment

I usually use ISO400 or 800, but if I have to I'll gladly go up to 1600. 3200 is more of a back-up plan and the 6400 is used when nothing else will work. If I can choose, I'll choose noisy pictures over blurred pictures...
                              Totally agree.
                              On a daily basis I use 400 more now than before. As the following pictures from todays walk shows, the light conditions were not the best, so also this time I used 1600 and in fact 3200 a couple of times.

I have five minutes to walk before being in the forest, and here's a marker showing where you'll end up. And before you comment anything: Yes, there are two ways to Prestmyra.

Walking through an allé or tunnel of trees, with my better half, daughter and family dog.
                              (I know it looks like we have a family pig, but the dog moved too fast for my camera settings)

A small stream coming out of the more and more swampy pond Setervannet

Coming up to the pond itself

Comment

It might be too much with all these mirrory pictures, but hey...., the nature is so impressive

The pinkish ray up in the clouds there are the small sign of a sunset

A trees system of roots, from the underside. This is rather old, so it is covered with moss and everything

Originally there were three trunks, but maybe someone had tried to make a sculpture or something. All three of us passed just five meters from it, but only "the photographer" in the group noticed it

Time to change objective on the way back, so now I'm shooting through the 50-200mm. Motifs everywhere....

Comment

Working...
                                X