Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walking Bjerkestrand (Kristiansund/Frei)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walking Bjerkestrand has turned into a "Walking south side of Frei"-thread.
    Tonight, I drove to the grosery store, and on my way home, I desided to stop by the former ferry quay at Kvitnes, and the shore over at Freistranda beach.
    The reason was of ourse clear skies, almost full Moon and expectation of some Aurora Borealis.
    I was not suited up for cold, windy photography, but had only sneakers, a jeans and my jacket...., so after a short hour out, I had no feeling in my fingers. IT WAS COLD! :-D

Anyway, here's the view toward Gjemnessundet suspention bridge, and the remains of the old ferry quay can be seen in the foreground. (Difficult to pinpoint focus in manual)

Reinsfjell (992 meters) to the left and Gjemnessundet bridge

The Aurora Borealis was not expected until midnight, but two hours early...., here it appears on the north-eastern sky

The "photographymobil" parked at Freistranda. Freikollen (629 meters) in the background

Had to get the Big Dipper in the frame :-)

SAS Boeing 737 from Oslo/Gardermoen on approach to Kristiansund airport

Last edited by Sterkoder; November 6th, 2014, 08:00.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Frei church in the distanse, as we see Freistranda towards east

Freistranda towards west and the harbour for private leisure crafts and other smaller boats

Warming up with hot tea, I say good night...., hope you enjoyed :-D

Comment

Out tonight, to take pictures of the nicest moonraise I've ever seen. It's a pitty I didn't have time to adjust camera settings, as I would like to take pictures of the Moon touching the mountains. Did not work. (Note-to-self: take a class in night photography, moron!)
        Anyway, the moonraise looks more like a sunset, and from Viken farm it all looked like this

Comment

also ''moron'' can make great images in the night.

i would go out aswel,it's still not cold here at night.but there is not much to see here,flat not much to see here.
          have to go to a city for it.
          be Lucky that you live in such surroundings
          Last edited by janihudi; November 9th, 2014, 13:26. Reason: before a misunderstanding
          best regards Thijs

Comment

More great images, Svein. That is Orion you have caught back in #287.1 and 2, isn't it?
            And as for the last two, well, "moron" did pretty well with those two beautiful photos! Except that in the last one perhaps a very small amount of faint ground detail over to the right might have been welcome, or else a little crop. But the moon with its subtle streak of cloud and its glimmering reflection in that one left me wanting more.
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• Sterkoder
              Sterkoder commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks!
              Yes, it's Orion I've captured there. The lowest bright star to the right there, a part of Orion, is Rigel.
              That star has a mass 17 times greater than the Sun and shine 60.000 times stronger than the Sun. Rigel is 700 to 900 lightyears from the Earth, and is the most important star in star navigation, as she can be seen on all the oceans of our planet. Rigel is the strongest shineing star in the Milky Way :-)

• Tommi
              Tommi commented
              Editing a comment
              A kind of a unique look I would say about that moonrise.

286/2 is brilliant.... love the moonshine on the water and the visible blue night sky.

Having been on nightwatch the past week, it's been an amazing time - as clear as I seldom see it.
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
            Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
            Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

First walk of 2015 for my Pentax and me. Here's just a few pictures from around Frei church, inbetween snowshowers...

Freikollen (629 meters) as seen from the church

The church graveyard with an old iron cross in front. The yard itself is filled with old crosses like this over old graves

This cross is placed on a graveyard used long before the church were built (1897).

Wilson Lines TINNO at anchor. Gjemnessundet suspentionbridge in the background

Frei church, and we see a new snowshower is about to come in behind Freikollen

Flatsetsundet and the leisure craft harbour as seen from the parkinglot by the church

Snowshower closeing in...

Frei church from year 1897 in a nice wintery light

Comment

Snowshower and stronger wind approaches. Just this and another picture before I climb into the car again :-)

Enjoy the rest of your week-end folks! :-)

Comment

I love that weather.

Just some short thoughts:
                  tricky light conditions - yes
                  generally you could benefit from pushing the contrast a bit
                  #292:1 lift the shadows/mid-tones
                  #292:4 and the following photos: lower the black tones and lift the high tones to get more contrast and clearer pictures

Just realized, sorry if I'm trying to edit photos "Tommi-style"...

Comment

Don't be sorry Tommi, it's ok. Better with such comments than just "Like" (How can one be better from "Like"? )
                    Anyway, I tried to edit the way you describe the images #292/5 and 6 and #293 both, but when I tilted my screen a bit, I got some pretty annoying lines in the shower/clouds.
                    Ajusted contrast a bit, just a notch, but since my white balance was on 'Auto' and thus the white clouds a bit burned out, I decided not to use my contrast extensively :-)

Well, new day..., new weather pictures. (I must point out that they are all iPhone images, as I left my Pentax at home).
                    This time from where I use to walk for exersice, Orsætra...., a hill 192 meters above sea level (you've seen it before in this thread).

West, towards Averøy and Eide.

Snow is blowing off the top of Freikollen (629) in north-west, with weather coming in behind

Towards south, the sun is about to raise from behind Reinsfjell mountain (924)

Then the snowshower comes in, and the weather contained some thunder and lightning today

The sun managed to light up Freikollen before the shower covered it all up...

Last, a panorama from south-east to the left all the way to south-west to the right. Just minutes away from shower darkening it all up

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                      Don't be sorry Tommi, it's ok. Better with such comments than just "Like" (How can one be better from "Like"? )
                      Anyway, I tried to edit the way you describe the images #292/5 and 6 and #293 both, but when I tilted my screen a bit, I got some pretty annoying lines in the shower/clouds.
                      Ajusted contrast a bit, just a notch, but since my white balance was on 'Auto' and thus the white clouds a bit burned out, I decided not to use my contrast extensively :-)
                      Sometimes the result just don't get any different, whatever approach you try.
                      It sounds like you have a laptop screen that ain't too consistent about colors & lightness regarding the viewing angle? Never considered a better monitor? It don't need to be top notch, just consistent.

White balance could affect exposure a bit, but normally it's not your limit, and definitely not if shooting raw. I use mostly auto WB and adjust afterwards if things look strange.

Nice pictures you've taken today.

Comment

Well, since I've done all my pictures ever, at least since I went digital, on a lap-top..., I belive I'll continue. All editing done in same angle.
                        I would concider a stationary Mac with a large screen and terrabites upon terrabites of harddisc space..., but I'm not willing to pay the extra money for the apple logo ;-)
                        And as for RAW...., mmmmm...., I don't like large files, I don't have PS or even LR, so I don't see shooting in RAW as an option.
                        It's no trouble with the light or colours for me useing a lap-top, it is when I "edit hard", the dark night sky, clouds and showers start to get "pixel lines", or how I should explain it :-)
                        I also use WB on 'Auto' as I find that ok, but I do tend to set it in another mode more and more, as my camera could not possibly know what I want to focus on when in Aperture Priority or Manual.
                        Thanks for taking time to comment and thanks for the nice comment to my pictures of the day :-) I'm also satisfied, concidering they were taken with an iPhone ;-)

Comment

• Tommi
                          Tommi commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Could you post an example of the pixel lines, so perhaps we could try to sort out whatever is causing that phenomena?

I was also very anti-RAW for a long period. Now I'm perhaps shooting half raw/half jpg, very happy about the extra edge of picture quality the RAW-format can provide in some certain situations. This have made me accept the huge increase of file size, which mostly is a problem when travelling.

Can you actually determine the impact of the WB setting at the scene?
                          I mostly use auto, when shooting "studio scenes" I sometimes use flash or manual setting (using a neutral white background/grey card to let the camera determine the correct WB setting).
                          BTW, does exposure-lock/AEB-lock also lock the WB setting to a center subject? That could be useful.

Great photos Svein.

I particularly like the way that they're so atmospheric. The two in 293 really carry a little menace as the snow clouds seem to come out of the picture towards you. The dark line on the water seems to move as you look at it.

The iPhone ones have worked well too. The range of lights from the very dark to the very light is very appealing - 295/1 is probably my favourite.

Re RAW vs anything else - I've never regretted spending £70 on Lightroom - it works really well for me - especially with the hints and tips that Tommi gave me when I was considering the move! Yes, the RAW files are very big, but disk space is relatively cheap these days. Compared to the DTP and Photoshop work I do for other things, the cost of storage of the RAWs isn't a problem.

But of course we all have different views and different opinions - and the reality is that you're producing some stunning photography!!
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I enclose a "hard edited" picture here, a very bad example though. But you can see what I mean by "pixel lines" or pixels in the squalls there, in the darkness of the snowshowers.
                          Don't know the correct name of those lines/dots/pixels :-)

In the question of RAW or not, I will be a hard nut to crack.
                          My view on RAW is similar to what they said about megapixels years ago. "The more megapixels you had, the better photographer you were". Of course it's not like that.
                          Now everyone (not only you guys) say I should photograph in RAW, because my pictures will be much better.

Well, I disagree.
                          I belive strongly in the fact that the most important tool to a photographer is the eye. Secondly, a picture is made in the camera...., so I must understand my camera and its settings as much as I can, and so compose my picture in the frame before I press the shutter button.
                          A digital picture need adjustment, if nothing else, sharpening...., so I try to take my pictures with one goal in mind; to edit as little as possible afterward.

That's why I personally has never felt the need for neither PS nor LR...., yet.

If I will never photograph in RAW?? Can't say. There might come a day, but until then, JPEG is the setting in my Pentax.

The determination of the WB on scene, is in a Pentax K-5 II done by clicking 'WB' and the different WB-settings for the last picture taken can be seen.
                          I can not change the WB in a picture taken, but I can delete a bad one and take another of the same object. A cameras "brain" belive strongly that the world is mid gray, and if I have white clouds, a bright white wall, a light area of water, persons with light to white clothes...., and I have WB on 'Auto'..., I don't have a clue as to which white the camera is useing when I take the picture.
                          I'm sorry if I explained myself so that you thought I can set WB to a specific spot in my image. Of course it's not so :-)

It would've been much easier if we had our cameras and sat in the same room guys, wouldn't it? Over a cup of coffee, or something else, it would be a very interesting and educational meeting :-)

Comment

• nari
                            nari commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Do you mean "noise" for those pixel lines? I often edit out "noise" too readily and as a result the photo looks flat -loses dimension.

Anyway..., near Frei church, behind that brown house in #292/5, is a most beautiful house or should I say houses.
                          There's the summer house of the richest man in Norway in the mid- to late 1800s, a Kristiansund man called Nicholay Knudtzon. The Government once came to him to ask him if he could lend them money. That's how rich he was, by those days standards.

I went out with my Pentax to capture his now restored buildings, used as a place for representation, lectures, exhibitions and such, owned by our local bank.

Here we go (Yes, I know about the highlight):

The interior of the entire main building, is restored as if Mr. Knudtzon just left the house for a few minutes. I mean, the beds are done, pictures on the wall and everything :-)

In the old days the main entrance was to the south, btween two lion sculptures. Now, cars are driveing in through a east gate. The text beneath the lion say J. C. Bolinder Stockholm

Comment

Working...
                          X