Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walking Bjerkestrand (Kristiansund/Frei)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Walking Bjerkestrand (Kristiansund/Frei)

Good morning to you Svein, and already I’ve many thoughts that have come out of our discussing your photos!

First of all may I say I regret I included that reference to “liking” on Facebook when I was being dismissive of just saying “wow”. I hope no one takes it the wrong way. I only meant to imply that although I had noticed your photo album on FB, I had ignored it for the simple reason that I knew you would also post the photographs here on CVF –which is more suited to the kind of sometimes lengthy discussion which I know you want. But of course it is also nice to have an instant appreciation from often busy people, such as our Captain, who, even at the start of work shift weeks, saw and liked your album. Had it been my pictures, such a like from someone whose photography I so admire would have meant a very great deal to me.

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    ....I also hope you can tell me if you don't like an image, and why....
    Yes I would certainly not hesitate to do so, and that is indeed something that would require the space a forum provides (perhaps that is indeed why there isn’t a “dislike” button on FB!)
    But looking back, I don’t recollect having said outright that I didn’t like an image of yours, and I have been trying to understand why. I’ve come to the conclusion that I just don’t see the ones I don’t like –pass them by them without even realising I have.

But another of my thought processes that I understand better is also playing a big part here. I first became aware of this years ago in the context of wine tasting…I mean “serious” wine tasting –kind of thing one might even take an exam in. Trouble with me was that my wine tasting notes were far too subjective and personal, not the kind of descriptions that anyone else could relate to, let alone assist someone in deciding that it was a type of wine they might buy. Neither did I find a more quantitative approach much better – like deciding how dry a wine was on a scale of 1 to 5 kind of thing. But when one had a wine tasting where the wines were presented in pairs or threes, and one was evaluating them together, then I found it easy. Easier to evaluate characteristics like dryness relative to each other, and very much easier to pick likes and dislikes and give reasons by comparison with the other wines.

So although some photos might simply not register on my radar so to speak, the wine-tasting-like thought processes are going on where several similar photos are presented together, like those yellow coloured trees. For example, I don’t like #203/4, but I don’t think I would be able to explain why without referring to the one I picked as my favourite, #203/5.

(Just reproduced them smaller side-by-side here for easier reference, the disliked 4 on the left, and the liked 5 on the right.)

So…4 has too little blue sky and too much beige to balance the mass of yellow like the colours in 5 do. 4 seems messy somehow, but I wouldn’t have been able to explain exactly how until I’d seen how 5 conveys the cascading nature of the tree, and how well that relates to the composition (one’s eye goes up the trunk, pausing at the top for a moment before cascading down to the bottom of the picture. Oh, and that is really making use of the vertical portrait format. So now I’m just realising how much I dislike the use of portrait format in photo 4 –it doesn’t “say” anything …and I think the choice of portrait format needs to say something, make a statement of some kind, whereas a horizontal format is more forgiving.

And of course that fault in 4, now that 5 has enabled me to recognise it, seems even worse because you are usually such a master of spotting suitable subjects for composing portrait format effectively! You did exactly that in my favourite 5. Actually I don’t think there is a portrait format image in 4, but I like these letter-box-shaped ones I just made!

…and my favourite :-

Comment

I'm adding my WAOW too... in capital letters!

Very nice images: inspiring and very colorful. Perfect weather to head out and capture the light of the season.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thanks for all the nice words folks, and comments to learn from!!!

Today I was a short trip out to picture a couple of ships over at Freifjorden 1 Anchorage.
        As those are posted in the shipspotting thread, I might as well show the picture I took when turning my camera 180 degrees towards the Freikollen (629 m.) and the spire of the old Frei church (anno 1897)
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

First time at Orsætra hill this year today, and the very first time in 8-9 months. Enjoy!

Comment

Orsætra continuing

Map of southern and mid-Norway...?

And finally, a trailer tire in -6 degrees

Comment

Fantastic photos Svein - really enjoyed them. Some beautiful textures.
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I can feel the cold in your pictures Svein! No snow though?

A trailer tire as a arty motif! Very nice and frosty. That must almost be a premiere for CVF?! What do you think Thijs?

Comment

There is an eternity since the last time I was looking at your pictures Svein and you deliver top photos, I must say

Nice to see some sunshine in your photos, it's something I look forward to here in the north gradually.
                  Best wishes from
                  Bengt Domben

Comment

Thank you folks! Your words are inspireing!

Nope, no snow yet. We had it all before Christmas...., but you know in this part of Norway, March and April are two of the most snowy months of the year, so...

Even though the tire is from a small tracktor trailer for timber transport, Thijs might like any large tire, I don't know.

I like such forms, specially in black and white.

In a couple of images here, I had to use the camera blitz, and I hate that.
                    The main reason was that they were taken a time after sunset, and I would have to bring a tripod.
                    I used ISO 1600 and thought that was high enough. Tried a couple without blitz, but was not satisfied...

Comment

no snow here eather Svein,just came back of the walk with the dog,and it's getting white now,like on the tyre but thats it.
                      they gave up colder wheater here,but compare to Norway,it's nothing.

i specially like the ice crystals of 215/1 and how you can see the ice on the tyre,more crystals on top and how it vanish to a white layer on the side. (below of the image)
                      best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                        In a couple of images here, I had to use the camera blitz, and I hate that.
                        The main reason was that they were taken a time after sunset, and I would have to bring a tripod.
                        I used ISO 1600 and thought that was high enough. Tried a couple without blitz, but was not satisfied...
                        It's about the time of the year when details easily gets very dull contrast and there is no light available to log time exposures.

Comment

Enjoy? …you bet I did! Well, I keep coming back to these, and especially the blue and gentle gold sunlight of the perfectly composed first image of the logs.
                          In #215/5 the frosty bits on the long twigs have an almost sparkler firework look about them.
                          And of course that frosty tyre –marvellous.

Comment

Thanks, C..., always motivating words!

Went up to Orsætra again today, but without my Pentax.
                            Then, not all see the beauty in nature making its own art, and has to destroy everything.
                            (Now, if it was a child, jumping up and down in pure happiness of life, he/she would be excused).

This is how image 215/1 from yesterday looks today (via iPhone)

Comment

Someone has been cutting woods just down the hill from my home, and so came a beautiful motif up in daylight. An old saw at the farm 200 meters from my home.

Couldn't resist trying out b/w, but with no tripod and ISO1600, it is a bit too grainy for my taste

Comment

Interesting motif indeed. I so like the b&w and don’t find it too grainy, though sure that can be a matter of personal taste, though also depending on the subject matter.
                                I distantly remember experimenting with a b&w printing technique which actually used particular chemicals to produce an increased grainy effect to add to the aesthetic appeal of some subject matter!
                                Last edited by Seagull; January 27th, 2013, 10:25.

Comment

Working...
                                X