Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walking Bjerkestrand (Kristiansund/Frei)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Walking Bjerkestrand (Kristiansund/Frei)

Then I came to that farm, called Vika or Vikageillen.

On that farm there was an old mill house. They made their own flour in the old days

An old workshop...., I'm not sure

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Don't quite know what this small house has been used for, but from the small slot between the rock steps and the wooden house, it seem like it could be a place for storage of food (stabbur)

Nice curve in the bridge basin of the old barn

Comment

Great feeling for details as usual. I love the first image with the mosquitos that really gets me into the mood for the rest of the pictures. Great to see all these old houses.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
          ....Then, down by the boathouse at Viken, I found this strange stone. It seems like it has fallen off a cliff, but I wonder how it got these beautiful rounded shapes and formations...? Cecilia, any idea...??....
          Those rounded shapes…first glance and I immediately thought “honeycomb weathering” – this kind of thing.
          But maybe there’s more to it than only relatively recent weathering processes. There might also be features originating from the time of the rock’s formation.

I’ve indicated an area of somewhat bulbous masses which might be due to differences in the density of deposited layers of material (for example the weight of rapidly deposited coarser sediment causing it to sink unevenly into a lighter muddier layer).

So it might be interesting but difficult to poke around along the length of the stone looking for other places along its length with any kind of variation in the layers, seen there in side view.
          As well as that green moss, I can see roots that seem to be growing up along the layers in places. If there are variations in the mineral constituents of rock layers and the plants favour one rather than another, that in itself can be a useful observation!

I know why we didn’t see this stone on my visit –it must have been just before there when you mentioned the magic words “ice cream” and “coffee”!!!!!!!

That mill house photo is a delight…
          As are the textures of wood and stone in the last two and the composition of that last image

Comment

Thank you for the info on that rock/stone!
            I would rather belive it's from the forming of the rock, as in very old, than honeycomb weathering.
            Haven't seen anything like it in the area.
            As for the reason why we didn't see it, it might well be that we were ready for coffee and ice cream, but also our main focus on that old wooden boat up against that tree across the path.
            Making us move with our back to that stone
            Last edited by Sterkoder; June 11th, 2012, 18:36.

Comment

Close to 5 months since my last visit to Viken farm, so in the very nice autumn/winter weather we had here today, it was about time to walk down there again.
              I guess most of my photography now will take place in the week-ends, as its pitch dark outside when I go to work and go home again.

Enough talk, here are the pictures from todays walk down to the farm

Rosehips make nice colours in the sunshine

Some might recognize this old rusti milk canister. The wind has blown the lid off (the strong northerly wind must have blown in the hole in the bottom and forced the lid off, perhaps)

A view towards the Viken farm boathouse, with the mountains at the island Tustna in the distance

A low sun makes beautiful patterns, and light conditions. We can see the 994 meters high Reinsfjell mountain behind the trees

Nature is its own artist. Ice in a small pond

Comment

Couldn't walk past this without thinking of Cecilia. Vilde is also in the picture there, my friend...

In October/November the seawater is crystal clear in these parts of the country

Viken farm, the main house, barn, carpenter house and boathouse

Every time I've been down at the farm before, it has been at low tide. Today it was different. Low tide is much more interesting to me as a photographer, but high tide also has its beauty.
                We see Årsund island and Tustna in the distance

Frozen seaweed. For a guy who's been working with this sea plant for 9 years, I might have a different view on the subject than others....

A barely flooded rock on the sandy beach during high tide

Comment

What this is, other than a twig on the shore, I don't know...

A thin layer of ice is about to form

The roing boat is moved a bit due to work on the path down to the boathouse

To tree experts out there: is this a Europalerk (Larix decidua)...?
                  Can't think of any other 'needletrees' which turns yellow and drops its needles during autumn here in Norway But WOW, what colours they display!!

Camilla, the family dog also came along. She's 1 year and 7 months old now

Comment

To continue with the beautiful coloured tree(s)...., pictures taken vertical against a bright blue sky gives awesome colours

From the boathouse, the public area used for bathing, relaxation, bar-b-q and what not looks like this

Close to the carpentry it looks like a heavy dense rock type has compressed and pushed down a softer one..., or what do you say Cecilia ?

Comment

Then it is the stabbur (food storeage house) on that other farm, Vika

On that farm is a beautiful holly..., I guess that's what it's called in English

On that Vika farm, they have a fully operational farm saw

This twig remind me of a woman athlete, stretching up after a jump competition...., but hey, that's me

Comment

Finally...., after walking almost back home, on the left side of the main road there is a creek

That's all, folks...! Hope you enjoyed...

Comment

Fantastic photos - beautiful light. We had snow in our little corner of south west England today, actually looked more wintery than your walk for a few minutes, before it all turned to water and there were floods all over the place!!

Thank you for taking us on the walk with you.
                          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Sorry, I just have to use the WOW word Svein!

Hardly know where to start among so many special images, but perhaps the berries of #201/2 is as good a place as any. I picked it out because it’s the kind of subject I’d be attracted to photographing but then struggle to know what to do with it. I’d be telling myself it just wouldn’t work to have a branch sticking out from the corner of the frame like that…BUT… of course it does work. Perhaps it’s having that darker shadow in the grass at the bottom, and getting the background landscape exactly the right amount out of focus. Somehow it conveys non-visual things too –the freshness of the air, the temperature, the difference between standing in sun or shadow.

Then our dear friend the milk canister, subject of many masterpieces, and now another. The shadows of pieces of grass against the rusty exterior are also bright against the blackness. Add the rusty detail still visible in the rim shadow on the right and just that small triangle of blue light within – and there you have it, an profound image of dark depths that one can keep on looking at and looking into.

You know how I have gradually accumulated a series of very favourite images of pakarang’s on colour themes –his Blue Reflections for example? –I imagine them as an art exhibition. Well here I shall start a Sterkoder art exhibition “Blue” with the image you describe as natures art. (#201/6).

The “seagull” stone with onlooker reflected in the blue water amid such rich blue shadows is so striking, and must have been so challenging to expose.

Oh then I’m pairing the crystal clear water with “Blue” –but as much for the line shapes the sun makes as for the colour.

In #202/4 I liked the contrast of white mountains and the near dark mountain-like shapes of the rocks in the water, and in the next image the frozen seaweed makes a fine abstract pattern with limited colour palette.

Twig on the Shore challenges the imagination! (at the moment I’m seeing a kind of mythical animal with head and beak on the left, and a long tail, but I’m quite sure I’ll come back to this tomorrow and see something entirely different!

Another blue! ….Blue Ice! I keep feeling someone might press too hard against that stretched-like surface and I can hear how it would sound when it broke.

#203/3, the boat among the trees, is another image that has a strong and satisfying composition but is also variations within another limited colour palette. I keep saying that kind of thing about the colour range, so it is clearly an aspect of the Sterkoder style that has emerged. Those rock ones fit into this category too, and yes I do agree with your interpretation.

#203/5 is my chosen one of those cascades of yellow against the blue sky.

I started not intending to talk about so many images, but how can I help but do so – the farm buildings and the saw mill are so interesting, and then there’s another piece of wood to fuel the imagination, and finally the magic colours and reflections of the creek.

…or I could just have said WOW or liked on FB!!!!!

Comment

Such a brilliant day for a photo-excursion, and splendid results indeed.

Comment

Thank you for not only saying WOW...., as I appreciate it very much that you comment on my pictures. I also hope you can tell me if you don't like an image, and why.

The “seagull” stone with onlooker reflected in the blue water amid such rich blue shadows is so striking, and must have been so challenging to expose.
                                I've always said that I want to take a correct picture the first time, but to be honest...., that particular picture I took four times.

Another important change I did this time, was to use -0.7 instead of 0.0 in the seeker, because my images has always been too lighted as opposed to on the camera display, where they look too dark.

It has been so long a time since I had taken pictures now, I just had to get out today. Glad I did...

By the way:
                                Twig on the Shore challenges the imagination!
                                This twig looks like something Sigorney Weaver should take care of. Reminds me of one of those slimy creatures from one of the ALIEN movies...

Thanks also to Tommi for positive responce, and to Mark: it was a pleasure bringing you along...., to put it that way
                                Last edited by Sterkoder; November 5th, 2012, 00:23.

Comment

Working...
                                X