Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walking Bjerkestrand (Kristiansund/Frei)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Walking Bjerkestrand (Kristiansund/Frei)

Five pictures to go, and here's a boat not going to sail for a while

A few trees of the Osp (Populus Tremula) type looked like columns of a kind

Freifjorden looking towards Aspøy and Reinsfjell

Old roof tiles stored under a boathouse

It was time to walk home again when the temperature went down and small ponds started to freeze (and so did my fingers)

Well, I think my new lense worked out well
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I just read your comment on page 9, Tommi..., thank you so much!!

Comment

Very good pictures that you took with your new lens, Sterkoder
        Congratulations with the lens.
        Best wishes from
        Bengt Domben

Comment

Thank you, Sir....! I see you're doing a great job yourself down there in Spain, especially photographing squirrels

Comment

Great photos with this new lens! You must tell us more about how it actually feels to you in use, what were the advantages on that walk compared with your other kit, was there any moment when you could have done with a different lens, and even if there was did ease of use, less weight to carry when walking, not fiddling changing lenses with cold fingers and so on override that? It will be interesting to hear about. Perhaps you will end up with a “car kit” and a “walk kit”!

Anyway, there are some special images here. The reflection of the tree in the water in #178/1 is marvellous. I like the way the widest part of the puddle is exactly the right shape for the reflected tree with its branches and foliage, compared with the direct view of lower straight trunks in the upper part of the picture.

In the same post the background and colour tones for those straw stalks is so well chosen, and in the next view of Reinsfjell I love how you caught that patch of sunlight. (That kind of thing might be another advantage of the new lens …there is nothing more annoying than to see a rapidly changing effect of light like that if you have the “wrong” lens on your camera and can’t change it quickly enough)

Great composition with all the foreground rocks in #178/5, especially having some bright sky reflected in the rock pools –that kind of brings the whole picture together.

I love my seagull! Beautiful lighting on those rocks.
            And that wooden millipede is fantastic!
            Nice depth of field in the rocks of #179/5 with an almost tangible wetness. And I very much enjoyed those vein patterns in that big stone…and then there’s the boat and the roof tiles and that amazing gold light in the freezing pond! What a wonderful walk!

Comment

Thank you, thank you!!!

In short, I can tell you that it's a great relief to not have to change lenses all the time.
              The Tamron 18-200 is a pleasure to use, and fantastic for, as you suggest, a walk not needing to carry all my photo equipment.

It can not cope with my original Pentax 18-55 and 55-200 (as I knew from before), but I've learned to accept the slightly lower quality.
              My camera salesman said I would not see the differences, but I do.
              I must say though that it's not more than I can fix in my editing programme.

I have a Tamrac photo bag, so whenever I leave the house, I will carry it on my shoulder(s), and since its contents are Pentax 18-55, Pentax 55-200, Tamron 100 Macro, Samsung 10-17 fish-eye and now a Tamron 18-200....., I belive it's all up to the 'operateur' behind the camera now

When I park my car and walk around, the Tamron 18-200 will surely be my companion.
              I can't see before me that I will be changing lenses whenever on events like Tall Ships Race, airshows, or any other crowded places, so over all...., this is a good catch
              Last edited by Sterkoder; February 26th, 2012, 17:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                Five pictures to go, and here's a boat not going to sail for a while
                Shouldn't the water be on the other side of the wood?

But honestly, very nice series of images Sterkoder.... I clearly understand that you are happy with the lens so far... a whole new world is now opening for you, this is great news and I know we will be amazed by you in the future.
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                  Shouldn't the water be on the other side of the wood?
                  Reminds me of a couple of lads I used to know who named their boat "Jacuzzi"...

Comment

It's not entirely Bjerkestrand, but it certainly ain't Kristiansund (theoretically yes, but commonly thought of no), so therefore I choosed to use this thread.
                    I belive it was in year 955 we had a big viking battle here, called Battle of Rastarkalv.
                    This has been made into a play (like the more known Battle of Stiklestad), and from behind the stone seatings for the public, there are a great place to take pictures towards Freifjorden 1 Anchorage

Turning 180 degrees we see Freikollen and Frei church

Three monuments, or rather a monument, erected to commemorate the Battle of Rastarkalv

Comment

And down by the old Kvitnes ferry dock on the south side of Frei is this small Colin Archer lookalike "Aries". From looking at its ropes and moorings, I don't think this one will go anywhere by itself...
                      Last edited by Sterkoder; March 11th, 2012, 00:36.

Comment

#189/3…The perfect lighting on the standing stones and the distant trees against the sky perfectly caught. I like how the just-out-of-focus foreground grass and pebbles almost seems to suggest a cascade, as if the mound and the monument had just risen up from the earth.

Comment

Two great posts, with great compositions...

I loved the scenery in post 189, but that picture in post 190 is so well composed and so well pictured. Well done S!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Went up to the Rastarkalv battle-area from year 955 near the Frei church to get some pictures of a couple of vessels at the Freifjord 1 Anchorage again today.
                            Those will be posted in the proper thread, but here's Rastarkalv and how it looks today

A memorial stone erected in 1955 and unveiled by Kong Haakon VII on the 19th June that year.

Frei church from 1896 just before the snowshower came in

I'm not sure if the main door is from 1896, at least not the handle and lock

Comment

What a beautiful church that is, Mr. S... and so happy that our server-problems kind of forced you out to get some fresh air...

Comment

It's time to post again in this thread, and now we are in the green winter here at Bjerkestrand.
                                10 degrees of air temperature and cold northerly wind gives no summer, but anyway, here's an image taken at Orsetra yesterday. Small mosquitoes dancing in the evening sun.

A small frog sitting quiet, hoping I didn't spot it...

Today, I walked down to Viken farm and further on to another farm I haven't been visiting earlier. In fact, this is only a kilometer or so away from where I live, and I didn't notice it untill today..., 18 years after moving here.

First a wild flower on the path down to Viken farm

Then, down by the boathouse at Viken, I found this strange stone. It seems like it has fallen off a cliff, but I wonder how it got these beautiful rounded shapes and formations...? Cecilia, any idea...??
                                (This stone is 3 meters away from that boat by the tree you photographed when we visited the place when you were here).

Comment

Working...
                                X