No announcement yet.

Pentecost tour through Norway 2015 / Pinseferie i Norge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meanwhile Splendida was about to leave. A boat is needed to untighten her ropes.

Last passengers and crew members have entered the ship over the now folding landing stage.

And then it is folding in, while the ship is leaving.

(to be continued)
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Wonderful report, despite the wet weather and foggy conditions....

I think we have stayed at the same camping.... Fossen Camping if I'm not mistaken...(?)

I can't remember the cabin number I rented.... but it wasn't number 2.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

As I again catch up on your big trip, Ralf, I’m hooked by photo #100/3. A timely reminder of how satisfying it is to experience such landscapes in "bad" weather despite the road closed signs. Your photo's subtle hues and mist, and without people to distract me, makes me marvel afresh at the architect's stunning achievement in combining the natural and the man-made.

Comment

05.06.2015 Rv63, Rv15 to Lom, then Rv55 Sognefjellsvejen to Skjoden, then Fv331 to Olden.
        05.06.2015 MF Urnes on route Ørnes – Solvorn, RV55, 5 to MF Stryn or MF Årdal on route Mannheller to Fodnes
        05.06.2015 Fv243 Snøvegen to Aurland, then E16 to Voss.
        05./06.06.2015: overnight stay at http://www.vosscamping.no/

This plan had to be changed due to the weather conditions. Sognefjellsvejen and Snøvegen were both still closed that day, due to late, heavy snowfalls.
        So we took shortly after Geiranger the NV15 an drove through Stryn and Olden to Sogndal. We had to cancel the visit of the stavkirkes in Lom and Urnes.
        Along the road we could imagine, how it would look like in higher regions.

As replacement for the Lom Stavkirke we visited Kaupanger. Unfortunately it was closed.

Since we wanted to show to Pauline a stavkirke from inside, we decided to drive the road up to Borgund, We recommend to use the old road!

Comment

It was a good decision. Borgund is really worth a visit.

It has a modern visitor centre with explanations about the history and the architecture of the stavkirkes.

Such a beauty.

Comment

Not easy to take pictures inside without flashlight, but i managed to take some fair looking images.

I like the conservation of the old wood and the smell of beeswax, Details:

The newer church was closed but we took a glance through the keyhole.

Comment

After this visit we took the way through the Aurlandstunnelen and climbed up by car to the viewpoint from the other side. This day we drove more than 100km through tunnels. Very impressive!

One of the most popular views of Norway. But one has to take this picture,

Another topic for that day was waterfalls. The new road leads you around Stalheimskleiva through a tunnel, but it is possible to drive the old, very steep and curvy road from it's upper, western end downhill.

Last edited by Ralf__; December 17th, 2015, 13:00.

Comment

Sivlefossen:

And of course we stopped at Tvindefossen.

In the evening the weather turned grey and it started to rain. There was nothing particular to see in Voss, so i took no pictures.

Comment

06.06.2015 12.30 departure with MS Bergensfjord/Stavangerfjord to Hirtshals
                  06./07.06.2015: overnight stay at https://www.fjordline.com/no/Om-bord/MS-Stavangerfjord/

The next morning we started early, because there was the bicycle race Bergen-Voss this day and the finishing area was just in front of the camping site. So we had to leave before all roads would have been closed. And we wanted to spend as much time as possible in Bergen, because it was a wonderful, sunny morning. A lot of pictures of Bergen have already posted, i will try to show you some different views.

Bryggen details.

Harbour scenery.

Comment

City panorama through Floybanen.

Then we boarded our ferry Stavangerfjord again and just as we left, MS Nordnorge came in southbound to wave us good-bye!

Good-bye Norway, we will return next time with our campervan.

Comment

It was a nice trip Ralf.Thank you for this report of the Magic Country.

Comment

Very nice memories from places I have also traveled. I just love STALHEIMSKLEIVA.... such a beautiful place.

But I have to admit that you have been inside something I have never been inside: a stavekirke. I have not yet been to Borgund either, nor have I ever been inside a STAVE CHURCH (yet).
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

This episode is a delightful mix of "been" and "not been" for me too! Ans what a great ending with Nordnorge making a goodbye appearance.

Comment

Ralf, although I peeked at your thread while you were compiling it, I made no comments because I wanted to study it thoroughly - it was so comprehensive! Now at long last I have come back and slowly read through, enjoying every moment. I loved the way you made it come alive, day by day even to describing the manoeuvres of the captain as he turned Lofoten round at Stamsund, with your series of photos showing each stage. When I have read about this manouevre I have tried to imagine how it is done, but there it was well set out. When I was at that same quay on the Kong Olav a similar exercise would obviously have been done, but in those days I had not absorbed (or tried to absorb) all the expertise of life on the water, so could not appreciate what was being accomplished.
                            When I was looking at #50 I did a quiet chuckle to myself as I read about being on the bridge wing:
                            Here you can find the real geeks, which are looking for wind and weather. Here you can talk about Norway voyages, life situations and more. Talking to sun deck or smoker corner people is more about comfort, food, beer prices, organized bus trips and similar
                            Yes, I thought, that is Ralf!
                            Another chuckle-maker was your comparison of the Splendida with the block of flats at Geiranger. (#105). How true.
                            Your tour of Vesteralen got me quite confused, and if ever I had a trip on her I'd have a job to find the way back to my cabin each time. It seemed such a strange way of doing an upgrade, but the discount boxes were presumably the cheapest solution. Most inelegant, methinks, but at least more secret corners for Ralf. The salon at #76 looks horribly cramped, not a place for relaxation at all, but the restaurant is better.
                            That quirky photo at #80.3, looking up to the bridge, had me wondering for a bit until I stopped twisting my head this way and that. But I like it, a lovely play of light, it is almost a monochrome of white, grey and black set against the blue of the sky with just the contrast of the two rainbow "sunspots". Yep! And that one at #91.3, I don't get it at all. At first I thought the whole of the elevation was blurry, but I think more likely that it is just the windows. Have they a special kind of glass, semi-opaque? Weird.
                            Now the pics. at #96.3 immediately reminded me of what Thijs and I saw at the Woudrichem Festival in 2012, where they gave a demonstration of salmon fishing using the "gallow", a specially adapted barge and two small salmon fishing boats, The net was strung from the barge and held by the boats to cover a wide area, then pulled in with, hopefully, a good catch. So your pics. could be that sort of operation with the net held between the mother boat and the two small ones until hauled in to the former.
                            So many beautiful and informative photos, Ralf, but I shall mention just one more and that is the one at #111, of the Borgund stavkirke. You said "I like the conservation of the old wood and the smell of beeswax." Yes, I know what you mean, for I love wood, too, its richness and variety.
                            Many thanks for a great thread, Ralf.
                            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• Ralf__
                              Ralf__ commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thank you so much for your friendly, heartful and detailed comments. This is a clear encouragement to continue such reports. I hope i can start something new next week.

• wherrygirl
                              wherrygirl commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Good!.......
                          Working...
                          X