X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentecost tour through Norway 2015 / Pinseferie i Norge

At Saturday 23rd of May we started our Norway trip. Our first leg was Cuxhaven at the North Sea Coast, where we visited an aunt of mine. Private family affairs.

23./24.05.2015: Stuttgart-(Bremerhafen - Hirtshals (DK)
    24.05.2015 20.00 departure with MS Bergensfjord/Stavangerfjord to Bergen
    24./25.05.2015: overnight stay at https://www.fjordline.com/no/Om-bord/MS-Stavangerfjord/

On Sunday 24th we started towards Denmark. A shortcut lead us to our first ferry crossing the river Elbe near Glücksburg.

In the late afternoon we arrived in Hirtshals. We had lots of time, so our first stop was at the beach, where you are allowed to drive your car.

It was even time to visit the lighthouse.

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

In the evening we embarked on MS Stavangerfjord bound for Stavanger and Bergen, where we should arrive the next day about lunchtime.
    It started to rain so we explored the ship, which has a superb design and lots of deckspace.

With the booking of the trip we made a table reservation for the Scandinavian Buffet and they had a wonderful table for us. The buffet was superb, had a wide range of selections and even a self service soft ice machine for dessert. I made the experience that is not possible to eat much and drink a lot of included beer at the same time. So i concentrated on eating...

Early morning stop in Stavanger, where a lot of passengers leave the ship. So you can have a very relaxed breakfast buffet, while watching the scenery outside. The ship mostly cruises "behind the shore", using remote waters behind islands like Hurtigruten does. Very nice and interesting. Later you can use the forward lounge or the outside deck areas.

Comment

Beautiful fisher boat passing by on the way to Bergen.

Approaching Bergen harbour. Many dark clouds, but no rain. We thought about a trip to Floyen, but decided to go shopping and then proceed to our next ferry. The schedule was not to comfortable in order to reach our first "Hytter".

And a short view back to MS Stavangerfjord. I can recommend both, the ship and the trip. It is a great experience!

Comment

Great start to a new thread, it'll be great to see the continuation and hopefully, the rain lifts too!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

25.05.2015 12.30 arrival in Bergen
          25.05.2015 15.05 ferry MF Melderskin on route Leirvåg (via Rv 57)
          25.05.2015 16.00 Rv 57 MF Nordfjord on route Rutledal – Rysjedalsvika (via Rv 57)
          25./26.05. 2015: overnight stay at http://campingportalen.no/nb/camping...keland-camping

I was very busy with driving, calculating the ferry plans and get used to Norwegian traffic and roads again, so i made no further pictures of this afternoon. But what a camping site:

(to be continued)

Comment

26.05.2015 Rv 57 to Førde, E5 to Florø, Rv614 to MF Davik on route Starheim – Isane and Rv15 to Måløy or Rv616 to MF Vågsøy on route Oldeide – Måløy.
            26.05.2015 Rv 61 to M/F Høgsfjord or M/F Ølen on route Koparnes – Årvik, Rv 61 / 654 to Stokksund.
            26./27.05.2015: overnight stay at http://www.lanternen.no/

We were the only guests on that camping site, just a man came in the evening to collect the fee. It is every time unusual for us (living in a big city in a crowded land) to find such places with all open doors. We always expect to get a key handed over, not the message: the doors are open just take your choice.

Shortly after our start next morning we had a stop to visit Harefossen near Flekke. You have to stop at Fossens near the road, as long a s my wife is in the car!

Later we stopped in Foerde to go shopping. The roads in this area are very interesting to drive, there is very low traffic and the ladscape is changing from minute to minute. This a shot out of the moving car somewhere near Eikefjord.

We decided to leave out Floroe and proceeded on the RV614 to the Brudesloer-Fossen, which is nice to watch while coming nearer.

Comment

Planning the tour with Google Earth and some newer roadmaps it was not clear, if there will be a new tunnel finished (Bortnetunnelen) to give a more comfortable way via Rv616 to the Oldeide-Maloy ferry. And it was, so we drove a brandnew road - again impressing which huge investments are done in quite remote areas for building new roads.

Another idea was to spend a short visit to Bremanger and Grotle beach, but the ferry was just approaching, so we decided to do another side trip later.

Comment

The camping site in post number 5 is just picture perfect!
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Ralf__
                  Ralf__ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes it was a pity to leave this paradise after one night!

A "wow!" thread Ralf.It is not so usual to have a driving tour in Norway,here on CVF.Waiting for more pictures and comments.

Comment

• Ralf__
                  Ralf__ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for joining, Yves! I will try to post just day by day reports and do the trip here once again during the next couple of weeks. A lot happened since then, so sometimes it is not easy to remember the details.

Arriving in Maloy, we had the choice to try a third side trip after the less promising Floroe and the ferry-cutted Bremanger visit. So we turned towards Raudeberg to drive to Kragenes fyr. Unfortunately the first tunnel after Maloy was closed due to roadworks and since nobody knew, how long this would last, so we enerved turned around after about 30 minutes waiting.
                It was still a leg to Lanternen and so we decided to get there first, move into our hytter, prepare dinner and drive then out to Runde to watch birds on an evening walk.
                Here you can see our cabin near the water. Lanternen is quite close to Torvik, so the intention was to watch the nightly Hurtigrute passing by.

Apparently we seemed to be the only tourists there, other cabins were rented to workers, which had their jobs in the area. For those you don't know the hytter-principle, here are some picture of the interior of such a building. This is a large one with own bathroom and two sleeping rooms, the small ones have just one room for living, sleeping and cooking. For shower and toilet you have to use then the central building of the camping site, because the small hytter have no water.
                Living room with view to the ship-route.

Cooking area with door to the bathroom.

Door to one of the sleeping rooms and ladder up to the "Hems" with two more matresses.

Comment

Enjoying this Ralf. Like the reference to the Gluckstadt - Wischhafen ferry. Have done that a couple of times - long queue, but great fun doing an impression of a hedgehog crossing a motorway as the 'tea trays' scuttle across the Elbe between the BIG boats going into Hamburg.

Fjordline definitely looks worth a go.
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Ralf__
                    Ralf__ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Perfect description of that feeling. She is just waiting for a slot to cross and speeding up very quickly to slip through. Long queues were also predicted for "our" day, but we passed quite early in the morning, so we didn't had to wait,

I think, it will be a good idea to try Fjordline on your next trip. It is really amazing! But it is a detour on your route. The distance Bergen - Trondheim and the distance Oslo - Trondheim is the same, but you have to cross Denmark in addition to get to Hirtshals.

• PoloUK
                    PoloUK commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The A1 and Hamburg have the tendency to get in the way whenever we're heading north!! That's the attraction of the Elb ferry for us.

I enjoy sailing out of Kiel though.

After dinner we drove out to Runde and climbed up the hill. It was raining and the whole hill was quite swampy. we were hopping around to keep dry feet. It was an impressing place, but nearly completely without birds! Later the manager of the camping site told us, that we had been there too early, because the birds would return from the outer sea late in the evening. We had been out there after 22.00, so.... is was somehow the day of the failed side trips. Here the view to Runde Fyr.

The evening was filled with various short, but heavy rain showers and i was a little bit disappointed, because no ships were passing by. We set our alarm clock to 2.30, when the southbound Hurtigroute leave Torvik, She should pass then about 10 minutes later. We waited for 20 minutes and went then back to bed, since nothing happened, Nearly asleep, we heard some approaching noise, got up again and had our night shot.

(to be continued)
                  Last edited by Ralf__; September 17th, 2015, 15:28.

Comment

27.05.2015 Rv61 to M/F Tidefjord or M/F Ullensvang on route Hareid – Sulesund, then Ålesund.
                    27.05.2015 E39 to MF Fannefjord, MF Moldefjord or MF Romsdalsfjord on route to Molde.
                    27.05.2015 Rv64 Atlanterhavsveien to Kristiansund.

In te next morning we had just a short way to Alesund. Since the sun was shining, but dark clouds were approaching, we decided to go by car up to Aksla. Since it was still early in the day, that was no problem. We admired the new renovated restaurant and stairs. Regine decided then to walk down the stairs, weather stayed sunny and my daughter and me drove downtown by car. The northbound Hurtigrute was about to arrive and we managed to arrive right in time for her arrival. It was the well known Nordnorge, so no reason to go aboard,

A view up to Aksla with the new stair line.

Comment

Some impressions from our walk through Alesund with well known views.

And less well known.

Later on we proceeded North and reached soon the ferry to Molde.

Comment

The crossing to Molde was accompanied with an impressing amount of ferries heading criss and cross. We had a good view on the more than 200 mountain tops, which are visible from Molde. Our cameras are not able to produce good picture from such a scenery, but the view from the ship is so great that it is not necessary to climb up to a viewpoint in Molde. We knew the town from several walks, so we decided to proceed towards Atlanterhavsvejen. Here the coastline has a quite different character.

Watching out to the see i suddenly saw a familiar silhouette. I took a dead end road to the shore to take some pictures. And really, it was MS Nordstjernen southbound. We later heard that she was on a private charter before her cruise to Svalbart. I bet such a charter will be out of budget for our CV-family...

Finally we reached the famous bridge with the curvy restpoint.

Comment

Working...
                        X