No announcement yet.

The 2014 Summer Escape to the western coast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geiranger as I've never seen it before! And I don't just mean I haven't done this particular hike - I don't even recollect ever seeing pictures of this before. It was absolutely breathtaking to be to thrust into your views in #124, so high above the fjord it felt as if your Seagull had transformed into an eagle!

I then caught my breath in excitement at seeing a hurtigrute, and my not recognising it was Nordlys from so high up until I reached #126, hopefully justifies your heavy load of lenses. Homlongsætra looks almost other-worldly in time and in space, as if a place of the imagination. And then finally the familiar places disorientingly transformed by your different and hard-won viewpoint.

A thrilling finale to a superb trip, Jan-Olav. Thank you so very much.

Comment

Wonder why we always look for the perfect holiday abroad, when we have such scenery and beautiful surroundings "just" outside our doorstep...
      I enjoy your pictures very much, and I certainly experience this part of Norway like I've never done before, not in real life nor in travel and tourist brochures.

Thank you for carrying your heavier lenses up to the viewpoints, as they give a special view on things, as in the car ferry and hurtigrute down on the fjord.
      Thanks for showing us these beautiful images!
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Superb pictures. I was always fascinated by these remote farms in TV reports. For sure it is a fascinating tour to take the MS Geirangerfjord, make a Fjord cruise and disembark at the shore at Skagehola. walk up to Skagefla and continue to Homlongsaetra and Geiranger. But you have to be prepared, start early and have to take food and water in your backpack. It is not that far, but it is steep and not easy for people with fear of height.

We did a similar tour in the German Alps this autumn, also about 10km to walk but nearly 900 meter up and then down again. We are experienced hikers, but climbing stairs was an experience - even three days after this trip.
        http://www.allgaeu-ausfluege.de/05breitenberg.htm

So you have my honest respect, even more, since to took the only and best decision at Homlongsaetra. Count in the huge effort, which will cost the way back and keep rational.
        Very well done, Jan-Olav and thank you so much for sharing such unique impressions!!

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH FOR YOUR COMMENTS and ENCOURAGEMENTS.

Looking through the images nearly 1,5 years after the actual trip, in the midst of the darkest month of the year, certainly also lifts my spirit a bit. It was indeed a wonderful short but awesome vacation. It goes to prove that it is not the distance covered by road that determines the trip's success, but rather the time you spend at each place. I will probably never do these hikes again, but I'm so glad and proud that I have done them.

That being said, there is still a lot of other farms that I can and will hike to .... some day.

My next big dream is to hike from downtown Åndalsnes and across a mountain ridge called the ROMSDALSEGGEN.

Perhaps in 2016?

Perhaps in 2017?

Only time will tell.

Thank you all for joining me and for enjoying the trip with me.
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

You're welcome, it was a pleasure to follow your trip

Now, I understand how refreshing and enlightening it is to watch summer pictures in December and also January. I do it myself.
            I've just started to plan my next summer roadtrips (alone, not vacation), and I can say that Ålesund will be visited again as the third Queen of Cunard will be there in June.

I will also visit Åndalsnes, as usual, but before I go on my roundtrip via Dombås, I will drive up Vengedalen. Dond't know when though...
            Also totally agree on what you say about the time spent on each place and not thinking so much about how far you go.

The late Norwegian singer/songwriter/poet and drawer Odd Børretzen was also a good sailor and captain of his own little sailboat, who enjoyed travelling in a slow pace when sailing to other harbours. He said: -"When going sailing, I dread returning to shore, because then the journey is over".

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

What a very nice sentence to end the summer report!

"When going sailing, I dread returning to shore, because then the journey is over".

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

You know what, it appears as if I have forgotten to share some of the wet Geiranger morning photos... not that it matters, but here they are anyhow:

Comment

I truly miss summer, but what can you expect when the winter is now upon us?

That was all!

Comment

• Tommi
                    Tommi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I didn't remember that I was missing summer... :-)

• pakarang
                    pakarang commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Please check, and I'm sure you will do (too). I just can't stand the winter!

Oh pakarang, I'm glad that a winter day indoors at least got you re-visiting your awesome archives - and showed more of a dear ship that always has me thinking of you. A bonus rocks and clouds photo too

As an aside, circumstances seem to have edged me towards winter travels (in the broadest half-of-year sense) and with that comes less time for tidying up indoors on dark winter days and posting things like this. That's why FB remains so important to me, for at least enabling me to easily and instantly share glimpses of my experiences on the go. Here on the forum it feels a struggle to even catch up with this summer’s local cruise calls, but, at least everyone should now have guessed which ship rounded off my shipspotting season!
                  Last edited by Seagull; November 24th, 2016, 18:59. Reason: ...correcting typos and stuttering sentences!

Comment

• pakarang
                    pakarang commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Understandable... I'm so late that it's not even fun any more.

Pity, I more or less have given up on FB.... but ont he bright side, I feel so liberated of the time consuming social media it is. I have found new pleasures in life... I might be back again, but not right now.
                Working...
                X