TenThing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TenThing

OK, so you guys have probably known about them for ages but I have only just become aware of the extremely impressive all-Norwegian brass ensemble TenThing.

I love them!!!

And their leader, Tine Thing Helseth, is a world class soloist in her own right.

There's something about Skandinavians and their trumpets; Ole Edvard Antonsen, Håkan Hardenberger ...
    ---------------------------
    Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
    Deck plan geek.

... and Jan Petter Antonsen (yes, the brother ;-) ), Philip Kruse, and last but not least..., Finn Eriksen. There are more.
    Have listened to Tine ever since she became a famous trompetist, as I've followed Ole Edvard Anthonsen before that, and bought all of his CD's :-)
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Big S, your cultural depth knows no limits!

My own CD collection is only small and doesn't yet include any Ole Edvard Antonsen, but I do have Håkan Hardenberger's "Haydn, Hertel, Hummel, Stamitz: Trumpet Concertos" on Phillips label.

I know people rave about the quality of Deutsche Grammophon but for brass it has to be Phillips. They seem to know something that the others have yet to learn.
      Deck plan geek.

Comment

Great album you've got there!
        And St. Martins in the Fields..., is there any better? Well, not many ;-)

Your album is also recorded by Ole Edvard Antonsen, and I specially enjoy track 1 and 12. Don't know why, just do.
        Other favourites of mine are J. S. Bach and Gustav Mahler. I also listen to Richard Wagner when I feel like it.

Put your headset on, close your eyes and turn up the volume when Robert Noehren plays J. S. Bach Toccata and Fuge in D-minor on the Pasific Union College Church organ, among other compositions of Johan Sebastian..., I mean...., I wonder for how many years music of today will last? This CD gives me goosebumbs and hair of my neck raising.

Comment

Just marvellous.
          Listening to Rondo ala Turca gives me some nice flashbacks from my piano lessons, I've actually played that a few times on a Steinway grand.

Comment

Big S, I just ordered Ole Edvard Antonsen's 'Nordic Trumpet Concertos' via Amazon.

No idea what to expect as I don't know any of these concertos, but I'm sure they will be played as expertly as possible.

I must now discover a means of playing the CD when it arrives. I'm living away from home right now and my trusty old Marantz player (bought in Southampton in 1989) is many miles away. I have an amplifier and speakers here so maybe I will buy a CD/DVD player.

Next time I go home, I will remind myself of tracks 1 and 12 of the Haydn, Hertel, Hummel, Stamitz collection. Presumably the Antonsen version is in the same order as the Hardenberger?

EDIT

Have now ordered a refurbished Sony DVP-SR170 DVD at a very good price - £18.00 with free delivery! Hopefully it will do the job.
            Last edited by Clipper; October 8th, 2014, 00:23.
            Deck plan geek.

Comment

Tommi, I didn't know you played piano. I'm impressed.

I'm afraid I never mastered an instrument. Tried the recorder at school and came rapidly to the conclusion that I was totally useless and gave up. I have learned since that the recorder is considered very difficult and shouldn't be the first instrument that children are exposed to. I think their big advantage is their low price!
              Deck plan geek.

Comment

Now, trompet lovers..., take a look at this and tell me you didn't get goosbumbs.... Famous Norwegian trompetist Ole Edvard Anthonsen play his composition Vidda (prairie)

Comment

Working...
                X