Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going out:

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Walkways in the perimeter of the fortress:

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I just simply love the look of this "weed":

Comment

Watch tower, from the outside:

Comment

Smaller gun:

Comment

Gun coverage:

Comment

From the entrance:

Comment

Final image, the entrance to the fortress:

Comment

What a great day out you had, and such fascinating images.
                    It kind of reminds me of a whole mixture of wartime places I’ve visited, ranging from the organised tourist places at Dover, a place in the Netherlands (with wartime enactments taking place as part of one of those “Open Doors” Days), as well as gun emplacements and the like in Norway such as at Bud and at Harstad. And also the amazing fortifications on artificial islands in the Øresund, which I especially like.

It looks like you had the place to yourself which enhances the mood. Was there really no one else around? (apart from that old major!).

Quite challenging photographically I would think – look how perfectly you captured the artificial and natural light in #3. Oh, good choices for the black and white ones, such as the bedsteads in #5, where, quite apart from the tonal composition being suitable for this treatment, there is also a feeling of black and white photos of the wartime period.

Looking at #17 makes me want to walk all round these perimeter paths! I like the mood of nature taking over.

Comment

Yesterday I drove up to Hegra Festning on my way to Sweden, and I did alost all of my photography with my iPhone camera.
                      As I might have said before, I like to use some effects when taking pictures with my iPhone (and only then), so here I've added a few % HDR, a bit glamour glow (or soft glow, if you will) and in a couple of pictures I have also used b/w and soft-focus.

The first thing they let us know is that we're about to enter a military area and that we walk around on our own responsibility
                      ​​​​​​Hegra1 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Then we meet the commander of the fortress 10th April to 5th May 1940, Major Hans Reidar Holtermann
                      ​​​​​​Hegra2 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Had to make a b/w of his statue
                      ​​​​​​Hegra3 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Here are a couple of pictures from the engine room
                      ​​​​​​Hegra4 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​Hegra5 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

This is how they built their baking oven in the kitchen room. They put bread and what ever into the oven via a door in the room to the right, behind that brick wall
                      ​​​​​​Hegra6 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Part of once was the kitchen room. Don't know what made the stone walls look like that. Some is due to the HDR effect, yes, but they also looked like "silver paper" in real life
                      Hegra7 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Walking out of the kitchen
                      Hegra8 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr
                      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

An air valve between rooms. All rooms with brick walls had this kind of valve or ventilation
                        ​​​​​​Hegra9 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Hegra Festning had many fire places, and three of them are still intact. Here are one of them
                        ​​​​​​Hegra10 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Don't know why the wall has this pattern. Might be from when they made the fortress
                        ​​​​​​Hegra11 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Here's the fire place from the soldiers recreation room, and look at the stone wall again. Wonder, could it be soot from burning wood in the fire place?
                        ​​​​​​Hegra12 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Wall in the recreation room
                        ​​​​​​Hegra13 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

A stairway up to one of the cannons. It was pouring down with rain yesterday, and it was not tempting to walk under that "waterfall"
                        ​​​​​​Hegra14 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Walking through a room and out in the long, long corridor with staircases to all the small cannons
                        ​​​​​​Hegra15 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

An observation post from the outside
                        ​​​​​​Hegra16 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

I belive there are 3 or 4 such observation posts/turrets in the forest around the fortress
                          ​​​​​​Hegra17 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

From a guard post near the main gate, we look down on the path via a suitable small opening to put the machine-gun into if they needed to open fire
                          ​​​​​​Hegra18 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

And inside that opening, over the years it looks like limescale or something had made these nice "limeacles" or what you call it
                          ​​​​​​Hegra19 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

I also brought my Pentax, who would've thought otherwise? So here are a handful of pictures from the Pentax, just 4 or 5

It's like Maj. Holtermann is coming towards me. I almost felt like saluting him.
                          ​​​​​​SSL27007 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​SSL27011 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Maj. Holtermann leaving the fortress after battling with German troops for days. What goes through his head there?
                          ​​​​​​SSL27013 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

The dripping, "limeacles", in the fireing hole. Pentax handhold, holding my breath, almost forgot to breathe
                          SSL27032 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

And finally, if you have followed me so far, just a few of the hundreds of poles used to keep the barbed wire in place around the fortress. Chose to go b/w here, and let them stand out against the sky. More dramatic that way, I think
                          SSL27035 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Had to show you just 6 more pictures from the Pentax, to explain the corridor which had the stairways up to the small cannons (I blive there are 12 of them, I might be wrong)
                            First, the entrance to what became Maj. Holtermanns place during the battle. The small table in the far distance there mark his spot (if you can spot it, on the right side)
                            SSL27014 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

I'm about in the middle of the corridor, and here's the view to my left
                            ​​​​​​SSL27019 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

And the view to my right
                            ​​​​​​SSL27020 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Can't tell you why, but I belive this is a moving picture..., in a way, if you think about the history of what went on at Hegra in 1940 and what that man down there in the gate did, or try to do, for his country and men
                            ​​​​​​SSL27022 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Here's one of the small cannons. You see this one and four more pipes in the background there. And there's one behind my back
                            SSL27025 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

That small table there mark where Maj. Holtermann made his tactics and strategy during the battles between 10th April and 5th May 1940
                            SSL27018 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Absolutely wonderful documentary from HEGRA Fortress: I haven't been there for so many years already.

I agree with you whole-heartedly, image 28/4 is truly sentimental and so perfectly aligned and executed. Well done, well done indeed. I couldn't have done a report that good.

Comment

Working...
                              X