No announcement yet.

A trip to SMØLA - a fantastic island north-east of Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I took a day off work, grabbed my Pentax and asked my daughter if she would want to come with me to Smøla and Veidholmen, as she has not been there since she was 10 or 11 years old.
    We drove on board the 8:00 AM ferry from Kristiansund, took the 8:45 ferry from Sandvika and arrived Smøla around 9:00 AM.
    Here are my pictures, or at least some of them, from the Wednesday visit.

The forecast said sunny weather, and so it was. Except we had a heavy shower of rain and hail the first half hour
    ​​​​​​IMGP0869 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Close to zero wind though
    ​​​​​​IMGP0878 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

From a viewpoint just before arrival at Veidholmen. Haugjegla light house to the right
    ​​​​​​IMGP0887 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

The ferry and two of the boats in the Holberg Shipping AS fleet as seen in Dyrnesvåg
    IMGP0881 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Haugjegla light house, 28 meters tall, operational in 1929. Light can be seen at a distance of 15,7 nautical miles in good meteorogical conditions
    ​​​​​​IMGP0889 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

A small shed at Veidholmen
    ​​​​​​IMGP0899 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Via my 450mm lense, Skalmen light house can be seen far west of Veidholmen
    ​​​​​​IMGP0907 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

There are plans to make this old Rødvingbryggen ware house a small hotel (don't know when though)
    IMGP0910 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Every house at Veidholmen got names. Not sure why, and surely not know the meaning of all names. This yellow house is called 'Latræva', which in English would translate to something like 'Lazy ass'.
      IMGP0916 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

A beautiful boat put ashore at Veidholmen. The faded registration letters suggest it once sailed out of Roan in Sør-Trøndelag county (ST-16-R)
      ​​​​​​IMGP0918 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Detail from the old fishfactory
      ​​​​​​IMGP0921 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

A boathouse door
      ​​​​​​IMGP0925 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

They call it the Eckhoffbrygga warehouse, that yellow one there
      ​​​​​​IMGP0926 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Towards the Veidholmen harbor the opposite way than most photographers take its picture
      IMGP0927 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

A fishermans boat, seahouse and base for all the equipment he need
      IMGP0929 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

A grey cat followed us. To women distracted her, so that was the last we saw of her
      IMGP0930 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Old abandoned farm on a small island called Skjøttøya, near Hopen Brygge Hotel
        ​​​​​​IMGP0935 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

From Edøy ferry dock we see over towards Tustna. The small white dot there is car ferry EDØYFJORD at ferry dock Sandvika
        ​​​​​​IMGP0944 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Edøy ferry dock
        ​​​​​​IMGP0947 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Close to the ferry dock, Edøy church and Gurisenteret arena there's a old boat house with a couple of broken windows. Put my Pentax into the window frame and took a shot
        ​​​​​​IMGP0949 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

• Seagull
          Seagull commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh Svein look at those steps up to the door in the first photo! - if the rest of the building wasn't there they would look like those paint-ball targetted steps in your photo in the trees that we discussed a few days ago. Thanks to your photography, this week I have learnt a lot about such buildings in Norway

Such a wonderful way to spend the day, out at SMØLA!

Been there myself a couple of times, quite a few years ago by now.

This is one fascinating place and such a wonderful spot for photography - equal to GRIP.

I loved the "lazy ass" house. LATRÆVA.... it would be hilarious to learn why the houses are named the way they are, especially that one. I think I can imagine why... LOL
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Sterkoder
          Sterkoder commented
          Editing a comment
          There's one man who could tell, as he lived there and Veidholmen was his heartbeat and breathe of air, he was a colleague of yours, a captain on board EDØYFJORD
          Sadly he passed away in December last year, an old school mate and friend of mine. So now I can't find out by asking anyone out there.

Last picture taken at the ferry dock on our way home: Old Edøy church, built in year 1190.
        ​​​​​​53027820_10157470105324610_5301389136882565120_o by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

That is a truly beautiful image of the church: the light is just magical, bordering surreal! Well done, Sterkoder!
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Sterkoder
            Sterkoder commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you. Have added a hint of an effect called Glamour Glow, and I have lifted the shadows, reduced the highlights and applied a touch of offset vignett. Offset in the meaning that the vignette center is at the church, not the center of the picture. I feel honesty is the best ;-)
            But by all means, I belive the picture is quite nice too :-)
        Working...
        X