A trip to SMØLA - a fantastic island north-east of Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A trip to SMØLA - a fantastic island north-east of Kristiansund

One week ago we drove to Smøla to be with good friends Saturday and Sunday. Going to this island from Kristiansund means two cer ferry stretches; Seivika-Tømmervåg and Sandvika-Edøy.
    Two ferries operate in the Seivika-Tømmervåg stretch, but when we left, the B-ferry just moored due to less traffic.

Here's the bridge of 'our' ferry, BJØRNSUND

She still had the beautiful colours of the old and local ferry company MRF. MRF is no more, as Fjord1 bought all their stocks and moved the main office from Molde to Førde.
    I love the MRF colours though, as I grew up with it..., so to say...

Looking out Talgsjøen towards the Norwegian Sea and North-Atlantic ocean

Oilrig SCARABEO 5 at anchor on Årsundfjord to undergo maintenance and tests to make it ready for operation at the Norne oilfield.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

After 20 minutes on the ferry, we sailed in to Tømmervåg on the island of Tustna.

We sat in our car on the Sandvika-Edøy stretch, and so did not get any pictures of or on board the ferry EDØYFJORD. I planned to take pictures upon our return home on Sunday, but of course then it got to dark.
    On Smøla, we were taken on a car-ride to places we had never before visited, among them Vikan on the islands east side.

Under the quay walkway at Vikan there was a mink coming forward to see what city folks looked like. Had to take a picture real fast, so don't pay much attention to the quality

Then we visited the parsonage at Rosvoll. It is known for its most beautiful garden and very large trees

Comment

Rosvoll parsonage continuing...

On Sunday we visited Haugøy, known for its colony of sea eagles. Haugøy is mid-way between Hopen on Smøla and Veidholmen (guess you'd have to use a map here)

Seen from the lighthouse at Haugøy is the bridge which I don't know the name of, but it connect Veidholmen and Smøla, and in the very far distance, you can see Reinsfjell in the south

Comment

Hopen on Smøla seen from the small lighthouse at Haugøy. Far back is the mountains at Tustna

And yes..., there were eagles! I just fired off at 135mm, and as much as I don't like it, I belive this one was shot in 'Auto'...

From Haugøy viewing south

The windmills in sunset

View west

View north towards Veidholmen, we have the fundament of the very first windmill on Smøla in the foreground.
        This windmill was erected as a test mill. It was put out of operation when the large windmill park at Smøla opened, and due to the fact that the remaining tower was hit by lightning several times in the last few years, it had to be taken down to prevent damage to visiting people.

Well, this was my short report from Smøla this time. Hope you enjoyed a few minutes in the beautiful Norwegian coastal nature... :-)

Comment

Fantastic trip report Sterkoder -really enjoyed it. Slightly surprised how many leaves you had left on the trees - about the same as here, and we're a long, long way further south.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

great trip Svein,even the Kitty is looking good even takien in a qiuck ''draw''
            best regards Thijs

Comment

Wow.Norway in automn!Thank you Sterkoder,your report gives warmth to my rainy sunday.

Comment

Thank you, my pleasure!
                Smøla is there for all to visit..., the most beautiful island and far north in the ocean, the old fishermen community of Veidholmen.
                Next year, Smøla will see its very first call of a cruiseship ever, well...., an explorer vessel would be more correct, as the island will host the visit of NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC EXPLORER, anchoring at Dyrnes on the north side.
                This visit comes from the idea of a friend of mine, and all has high expectations. I'm sure Smøla will deliver... :-)

Comment

Yes – those MRF colours do look good don’t they
                  I like the way the sun highlights that island in #2/2 – the one with the tuft of trees on top!
                  Hurridly restraining myself from adding a "thinks"…cartoon bubble to the mink photo... ...I admire the autumn mood at the parsonage, and so I reach #3/2 and what I’m thinking is "Oh look, SOOOOO Sterkoder! …portrait format AND overhanging tree to frame the view". And there again in #3/4 where many of the leaves still look so green .(Oh when I got to the end I see PoloUK already noticed that.)

But on sighting the sea-eagle in #4/2 I am lost for words.

I like the line of windmills against the mountains and golden light. The foundation of a windmill in the last photo really appeals to me – very much a "me" kind of place. I like the edge of the rock that had to make way for the base, and the autumn-like brown colours in rock, rust, water and bracken. And then in a more silly mood I’m thinking "Oh, look, a prototype for the jacuzzi aboard Finnmarken"

Comment

Thank you for your comments here Cecilia! Much appreciated.
                    What you call 'So Sterkoder' and portrait format, I belive is the result of my photographic eye and subconsciousness working according to the number 1,618033989, or 'Det gylne snitt' as we call it in Norway.
                    That is because I try to place my objects/motifs so that if I mark the width or hight of a picture, I place the objects (mark) so that the shortest part of the frame relate to the longest, as the longest relate to the hole width/hight. Puh..., understandable...? :-)

Comment

Very nice, Sterkoder! Really impressive pictures. Favourite?? #4/4!!!
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Time for a visit to Smøla and Veidholmen again and week-end at my friends house on the northern part of the island.

Starting with the mandatory picture when at Smøla, from the wind mill park of 68 wind mills
                        IMGP0759 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

As a test, some wings were painted black, for better view for the eagels
                        52297952_10157431623419610_6375781674197712896_o by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

51984865_10157431623324610_1496217686525345792_n by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

From Veidholmen we see the 994 meters tall Reinsfjell mountain in a distance
                        IMGP0776 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

A small shed of some sort
                        IMGP0771 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Nice light conditions in the afternoon
                        IMGP0768 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

The warehouse there will be a hotel, at least it's the plan. In the distance we see Haugjegla light house from 1922.
                        IMGP0781 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Beyond the closer lighthouse, we can see the Skalmen lighthouse in the far distance near the horizon
                        IMGP0783 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

It was close to the blue hour
                          IMGP0778 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Before, all the houses had different colors, but for some reason, the houses are getting painted white, one by one. Rather sad, as it used to be colors out here, just like it is on island Grip today
                          IMGP0786 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Looking west
                          IMGP0789 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Veidholmen harbor
                          IMGP0792 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Just felt like taking the picture. Guess it was the green doors.
                          IMGP0793 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Once a year they have a breakwater art festival at Veidholmen, where everyone who feel like it gets a square of canvas, paint and brushes and try to get hold of their inner artists.
                          Then the paintings are hung on walls
                          51818525_10157431623569610_6085556844082757632_o by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

It was just like the house blinked an eye to me and said "see ya"
                          51387561_10157431623614610_5113202825525985280_o by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Just a motif, doing better in b/w than color
                          51591250_10157431623694610_696963829388541952_o by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Some rust on a boathouse wall
                            51822117_10157431623774610_5704679230172823552_o by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Final picture from this visit, the stern of fishing vessel NY VIKING in the middle there
                            52063686_10157431623864610_8726091291575713792_o by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Wonderful images from a place where the world doesn't matter, where time stands still and where peace reigns.

I have a always had a fascination where I wanted to spend the night, a summers night, on a place like this. Either at Smøla or at Sør Gjæslingan.
                              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                              X