No announcement yet.

This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today it was downpouren "mit katzen und hunden" here in Kristiansund..., but what can I say, I payed for a weathersealed Pentax so I have no excuse to be in house.

In Vågen at Mellemværftet was a beauty from Century Boats named "Mirage".

Another old boat down there was "Linn", where I gently placed my Pentax on deck

Then I saw a new boat that sent my thoughts in the direction of Cecilia. This one has Leith as home port, a port frequently visited by our friend in Scotland :-)

A forest of masts

Our old fire boat "Slukk II" in heavy rain
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

RS Christiansund and Mellemværftet in the background

Detail from port side of the sailing vessel

Originally I focused on the buoy, but after editing the picture, I spotted all the different stages of a rain drop :-)

Kranaskjæret. This place was once used to crane old sail boats on their side so that it made maintenance under the waterline easier.
      There are serious plans to build a restaurant, facilities for visiting pleasure crafts and crew, and a promenade to be finished during 2017.

Comment

The view from Kvernberget is awesome.... puts the port into a perpspective I think I have not seen before. Great capture of Hurtigruten in the port!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Sterkoder
          Sterkoder commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. It's a result of my longest lense (135mm) made somewhat longer by cropping ;-)

The movie theatre, Caroline Kino, in Kristiansund just got its original colour from the old days during the last 14 days. It fits well into the city being widely known in Norway to be The Polycrome City.

Around Carolines Plaza is another building of strong colour, the Quality Comfort Grand Hotel

Then some details, if you don't mind
        Behind that door and windows was, and still is, the restroom of the cinema engineer. The person responsible for showing the movies.
        When I was a boy, I get to visit often, as my family knew this man very well. And that was back in the days when the movies were all large rolls of film, old Carl Zeiss projectors and everything.
        It was like being in the engineroom of Cinema Paradiso

The faded yellow-greenish paint can be seen in the wall in the back there

The east wall of the not too old building holding the elevator and staircase

Comment

• Tommi
          Tommi commented
          Editing a comment
          That's kind of cool! And colorful pictures too!

A shop selling lighting in the lowered fall light

Across the main street, Kaibakken, is ShoeArt. They sell shoes, clothes and exhibit art

Then I made a short walk up to Vanndamman, the recreational area where people feed the birds, walk, jog or whatever

All the peac0cks living here are tame. This sat on the fence of a café in the area

And then we have the famous deer sculpture, which everybody photograph showing the entire "animal". I had to find a new angle...., and for what might be the first time, use my flash

Comment

Then a drive to the Bolga cemetery at Frei island, the largest island in Kristiansund. Just wanted to get the combination of yellow autumn leafs and red bell tower/coffin house

Then a drive back to the city again and down by the harbour

Delivered from the Spanish yard in March 2016, STRIL MAR moored at Storkaia warf

From Gomalandet island via the north canal in the Nordsundet inlet. The ruin to the left is suppose to be torn down and new houses to be built. But when? Nobody knows. There are plans.

From top of Kvernberget we see the city towards west

Towards north-east and island of Smøla, where a large shower of rain is passing..., in black and white, even ;-)

Down at Kvernberget airport, we see Widerøe and one of their Dash-8 aircraft about to touch down from Bergen

Comment

On top of a high voltage powerline mast, an eagle has complete control

Comment

It's quite interesting to see, you always manage to find some new interesting motifs, and the latest additions are no exeptions.

Comment

• nari
                nari commented
                Editing a comment
                One aspect of Kristiansund harbour which I looked at for a long time was its ancient rocks - I think they are gabbro? - with houses squeezed into whatever gaps that could be found. Next best town is Bronnoysund with black/blue rocks. I have to keep this short or I will launch into Norway's geology.....and that will never do.

Thank you, Tommi. I find it difficult to find new motifs in Kristiansund now, and interesting ones. But I belive I'm close to something when I take detail pictures of architecture or other things.

Nari: the main rock type in Kristiansund is gneiss, as I'm sure you know are made out of other rock types via pressure and heating.

Comment

• nari
                nari commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, gneiss is very "popular" in Norway's history. When I was on Lofoten last year I had a large geological map of Norway on the wall over the bunk and the girl who did the cabin each day would comment on its detail and resulting impact on her. I was impressed by her interest!

Monday evening, minus 4 degrees Celcius, clear sky and no wind in Kristiansund. Maybe grab my Pentax, tripod and remote control to go out and try some nightshots?

This is a picture taken from Innlandet over by the Thon Hotel towards Kirkelandet and Storkaia (where the cruise ships dock during the summer season

From that same spot looking over towards Nordlandet and the "Hollywood"-sign. KBK is short for Kristiansund Ballklubb (Kristiansund Football Club) and a celebration of them finally reaching the top division in Norwegian football in 2017 (As if I care. More exiting to watch paint dry)

Then I drove over to Kirkelandet and Vanndamman close to the white Kirkelandet church

We have our own Manneken Pis in Kristiansund, far from as popular as the one in Brüssel, but anyway. Made on bronze by the Tingvoll based artist Tore Bjørn Skjølsvik.
              The statue named "Tissegutten" (Peeng boy) was revealed in 1976

The Vanndamman area is on the north side of the church, and in the park south of the church is a sculpture and fountain in bronze and steel of a porpoise (Phocoena Phocoena).
              Made by Skule Waksvik and revealed in 1969

Since I'm not a Photoshop-guy, I struggled a bit to find a position to take this picture. Very strong headlight from roadlight and shop windows made it impossible to include the far right side of the sculpture. Anyway....

Comment

Great shots and again new aspects i haven't seen before. Even if i feel like i visited all places in Kristiansund. Thank you for posting.
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Thank you, Ralf.
                  You know, my daughter just started to play volleyball with some friends a couple of weeks ago, and as I drove her to the training last night at 7 PM I decided to take some pictures in the darkness. She would end her training at 9 PM, so to drive back home and return to the city again to pick her up, would mean a total of over 40 km of driving.
                  Glad I dressed according to the cold weather before I left home.

Comment

My daughter play volleyball Mondays and Wednesdays, so here are a couple of pictures from yesterday evening while I waited to pick her up after training.

This time I drove over to Innlandet again and photographed Thon Hotel Innlandet from its west side, including the breakfast hall and restaurant.
                    The two MOB/RIBs in the picture belongs to the hotels neighbour company ResQ, which is a place offshore workers get their mandatory safety education

Comment

• Tommi
                      Tommi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Volleyball seems to produce good results!

Agree with Tommy - volleyball seems to produce geart results (for you).
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

The small harbour ferries, Sundbåten, celebrated its 140th birthday last weekend. And as most of you know, that makes it the oldest public transportation service in continious operation in the world.

A couple of days ago, seagulls rested in the last rays of sun in the afternoon

Saturday afternoon we had the most beautiful skyscapes out over the ocean and ship lane north of the city. Here's a picture from one of the leasure craft ports in Kristiansund

The wind mills at island Smøla was very visible in the afternoon sunlight

The wide perspective view

WITH HARVEST in the ship lane sailing north-east

And even if it had another meaning for the man, someone might remember seeing a sign on the desk of former President JFK in the Oval Office
                      with suitable words also for this picture: "O'God, thy sea is so big, and my boat is so small". For me, those words is a rememberance to us every once in a while about how small we are.

Comment

• Tommi
                        Tommi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Very special, and rather nice photos!
                    Working...
                    X