No announcement yet.

This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday came with the most beautiful and cold winter weather. The family decided to go for a walk to one of the many hills and viewpoints on Frei, the largest island in Kristiansund.
    Used a few seconds to think about in which thread I should post, as we walk in Bjerkestrand and on Frei, but most of the pictures are related to Kristiansund. Anyway....., here we go;

Our home is situated so that it's only to walk out the door, and we're in the middle of a relaxing terrain and nature. We live in that yellow house with the four cars in the yard

After half an hour walking towards a hill called Hysåsen, we pass through a place called Sygardsætra.
    Difficult word for english talking visitors, but let me try to explain/translate: Sy is an old meaning of syd (south) because the place face southward, gard means farm and sætra means a small farm away from the main farm mainly used for the summer season when the animals are released into the free and unfenced terrain.

Inside is a book where everyone visiting Sygardsætra can write their names. The one with most visits during a year is the winner..., not of any prize, but a better health

Half way up to Hysåsen, looking north-east, we can see the buildings at Kvernberget airport

The steeper passage up to Hysåsen start here. I don't know what Hys can be translated into, but åsen means the hill

Hysåsen is that rounded shadow down there, the next hill is Breilia (if anyone is in Google Map) and we see Kristiansund in the distance toward north

Kristiansund. We see the city from south and the harbour with the Markussundet inlet. Note Grip, the smallest municipality in Norway way into the 1960s and Grip lighthouse far out in the ocean

In the distance we see island Smøla with the large windmill park

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Toward east, the beautiful mountains on island Tustna

Toward west, Averøy and Eide in the far distance

Looking down to Orsætra for the first time

The photographer himself with red skin in the very cold wind

Freikollen, the most popular place to walk to, is 629 meters high

Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner from Norwegian flying at 40.000 feet on its way from Oakland to Stockholm. 45 minutes left to destination at this point.

On our way back home again

How I missed my 90mm macro here...

Comment

Still miss my macro lense

Wonder what mountains we see in the very far distance toward south-east there?

The time is just about 2 PM and surely the Copenhagen-San Francisco shows itself

The SAS Copenhagen-San Francisco route SK935 was flown by Airbus A340 OY-KBA Saturday. Passing us at 32.000 feet and at this point it has about 9 hours 35 minutes left to landing

After a few hundred meters I would very much like to have my macro again, but would have to try my best with the 18-135mm

The sun sets and Hysåsen will be in the shadow soon

Back home, crossing the main road 40 meters from our house

Comment

• Tommi
          Tommi commented
          Editing a comment
          Wonderful weather, wonderful walk, wonderful pictures!

• yvneac
          yvneac commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree.It would have been nice to share this walk with you on saterday.What a pure light!

• Sterkoder
          Sterkoder commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, the Pentax worked just fine despite the minus 12 degrees C we had :-)
          'ombugge': No, I don't think this is Romsdalshorn, as that mountain is in the direction of Åndalsnes, which will be south-south-west from us. The mountains in the picture is toward south-east. Guess I would have to find the ruler and a map, as I can draw a line from my position via Aspøya and Tingvoll...., then we'll see where the pencil line will lead us ;-)

My daughter and I drove into the city center on another mission, so I had no photography in my mind. But as you all know, my Pentax is always at my side and so were the tripod tonight.
        We had a quarter of an hour to kill, so here we go, Kristinsund by night for you.

Former sundbåt RAPP by the Pier at low tide. This boat is out of duty from the sundbåt company, but kept ship-shape by 'Friends of RAPP'

The very first purpose built MARJATA of the Norwegian Intelligence Service, now sailing as a research ship as SEA EXPLORER moored at Storkaia.

Storkaia outside Bryggekanten Brasserie & Bache Bar restaurant towards the Pier

The red little spottermobile under the lightpole

Around that corner of stonewall is the main entrance to the restaurant

From that entrance it all looks like this, twards the Pier

Finally, looking across the harbour, we see Nordlandet...., without any message on the "Hollywood"-sign tonight

Comment

• Tommi
          Tommi commented
          Editing a comment
          It seems like something happens when the forum tells our browsers to re-size the picture a bit.
          It looks better if I go to Photobucket and magnify it there, or if I open the picture in a separate window.
          You could try to resize your publiced picture to something slightly smaller, I think that the forum max-width is 1000 pixels.

• Tommi
          Tommi commented
          Editing a comment
          Otherwise very nice evening shots.
          If you had been there a half hour earlier you have had even more beautiful light available.

• Sterkoder
          Sterkoder commented
          Editing a comment
          The picture is 1100 x 514, Tommi. I understand you mean it would do to size it 1000 x 'whatever' ? I might try that next time :-)
          I always scale down though, so there are a certain bluryness to all my images at Photobucket also when magnifying. I never post my original files.
          Would've been there half an hour before, but we were out on another business rather than photography. But when I drove past by and saw those motifs, I turned around, parked my car and grabbed the Pentax and tripod. Not preplanned at all ;-)
          Glad you liked my pictures though, thanks.

Great photos Sterkoder - particularly enjoyed the last few night-time shots.
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Sterkoder
          Sterkoder commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Mark. I enjoy every comment..., as this is what makes me better, not 'Like' alone ;-)

Had a go again at some night shots, from about the same spot as my last ones. Don't remember the exif-info, but it was ISO100, f/6.3 (I belive) and between 3 to 8 seconds on the shutter, depending on which of the four pictures you're looking at....

It looks like the city is behind that hill, but it is the suburbs, shopping malls and airport that lights up the snow showers

The sign say: I love operafestival. It's about time for the Operafestukene in Kristiansund again, where there are opera and music everywhere, from the main opera scene in Festiviteten operahouse via cafès to even on board the sundbåt. The main opera this time is Eugen Onegin, an opera by Tsjaikovskijs based on a story by Aleksandr Pusjkin. Read more at Operaen i Kristiansund
        http://www.oik.no/ (click 'Forestillinger') As for the two red lights on the Stormvarselet: Gale force wind from north-west

Snowy weather..., me not like...

Kristiansund is somewhat colourful even in weather like this...., if one has ones eyes open and are "on"

Comment

• Tommi
          Tommi commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey, it feels like you really have found your way to nighttime photography, looks just perfect!
          Tip: by decreasing the exposure time you will get more snow/rain to appear in your pictures, which of course leads to higher ISO. Just a matter of taste which is nicer.

When the snow on the heart melted, we see that it's really red, as I hoped for

The cafè in Vågen was closed on Friday, but rather evocative

The doors to the cafè garage

Over at shipyard Kristiansund Mech. is the former car ferry Halsa, now named Atlantic Pioneer

From the Pier, Vågekaia looks like this. Not many boats moored, but we see the coastal cargoboat Vestfrakt

Looks like a cover of marsipan down at the skate arena in Vågen

Guess the skaters wait for the spring now. Here's a skate jump covered in snow

Comment

• nari
          nari commented
          Editing a comment
          wonderful photos of a very attractive and appealing town. (yeah, I have said that before) Kristiansund has an inexplicable "feel" about it.

• Sterkoder
          Sterkoder commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. Guess I will have more time to explore my own hometown from different angles now. We'll see :-)

• yvneac
          yvneac commented
          Editing a comment
          Great snow pictures.I love them.

Got myself a ND8 filter last Friday, and today it was time to test it. ND is a neutral density filter with 8 stops reduction in light to the camera picturecard.
        When using this, (like putting sunglasses on the lense), I can be more creative in long exposures during daylight.

Well, I started out at Innlandet and over by the Thon Hotel and the old sundbåt NORDSUND

Details from NORDSUND

Bad maintenance of the sundbåt, and a shame if you ask me...

The only offshore vessel in port today

Last picture from Innlandet and Thon Hotel, the "city swans" resting over by the hotel beach

The name of this small cargo boat is VESTFRAKT

EIDSVAAG PIONER is a fish farm food pellets frighter

Comment

A detail from one of the harbour quays

Now it's time to test the filter. I used it also for my #1453/4 picture, but I drove to Frei to find a place with moving sea against the rocks. A small piece of wood resting on the rock

When using a ND filter, you should have the waves and clouds moving straight toward the camera. This will give the greatest effect. Here, the sea comes in from the right

Last picture of the day, and my very first ND filter pictures

Comment

• Tommi
            Tommi commented
            Editing a comment
            Good start!
            A bit personal compositions. I think people usually tend to have more background visible on those long exposure time pictures, but personal is unique!

• nari
            nari commented
            Editing a comment
            I do like close-up photos of very ordinary things.
            Especially the tyres along the edge of a pier...I remember clearly the screeching and groaning as they were squashed and ripped every time Lofoten went through her sometimes complex manouvres to berth, especially in a bit of a wind.

Glad to have contributed to your happy memories of Lofoten, nari
          Yes, Tommi..., I guess my only focus today was the moving sea or small waves, to put it that way.
          The ideal long exposure pictures call for a wider angle and a larger landscape panorama. I have an idea about what my long exposure pictures would look like, but I have to go to a different place to try that out

Comment

From a boattrip Tuesday, the Kristiansund city hall

Sundbåt veteran RAPP, now retired, at the Pier

Sailing across the harbour toward Vågen

A few from Vågen

Had to refuel some diesel (200+ liters at NOK 7,90/liter. Total capacity of the Viknes 880 boat is 400 liters). At this point I was glad to just be a passenger...

You can see the "photoplatform" Viknes 880 and the black shadow of one photographer in the windows of the hurtigruten waiting room.
            From this photo, you who are familiar with the quay soon understand that we had a very high tide yesterday, or else you wouldn't spot the boat.

Jemar-Norpower AS, a producer of well known fishing boats. Note the size of the newest design. They are surely getting bigger and bigger.
            (Note the narrow building in the background. The company needed a new administration building, but wanted to keep the style of the area, so they built a replica warehouse up against the rock there)

Comment

The boat owner and I had a plan to go to a place called Årsund, some 20 minutes east of Kristiansund, to feed and take pictures of four eagles living there.
              Before we did so, we sailed slowly past Innlandet and came across some beautiful wallpaintings. This one is a painting showing the yellow house standing on the site before it was demolished.

And they've also decorated the south wall, as you can see beneath that yellow old house there

Then we came to Årsund and had to fish for a while to get the bait we needed to get the eagles close to the boat. Looking towards Frei and Gjemnes from Årsund

No birds of any kind in sight when we came. Two minutes after we started to fish, the gang hoping for something to eat arrived...., waiting...

Some had a lucky day...

But we came for the eagles (Yes, I know..., I don't have the appropriate equipment for such photography, but bare with me...)

I had the camera set to shutter 1/2000 in shutter priority, continuous fireing, in AF-C focus, at 135mm max. zoom (gave f/5.6) and ISO in 'Auto', which due to the low light gave 6400 this time, hence the grainy picture.
              Next time we will go when in sunshine, a little low light to brighten up the eagles bellies and undersides of wings, and then I can go lower at my shutter speed (1/1250 maybe) and hopefully also the ISO will get lower. But what I should have gotten, is a 200mm lense at f/2.8. Maybe I'll try out my Tamron 90mm macro f/2.8.
              The boat owner shot with a Nikon D800E (yes, full frame, I know) and a Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 and he got razor sharp eagles.

Well, this was what I had for you today...., a mixture of pictures and excuses.

Comment

Oh, almost forgot (left at page two of my Photobucket album)..., the home port of my friends Viknes 880, a beautiful place a 4 minutes drive from my home

There are also a good old boathouse, once used as a background for Master photographer Morten Krogvold, so why not me (haha)

And the boat itself, a photo taken by my last year, here's M/B iBRIS for you (yes, the owner is a huge Apple-gadgets fan, so there are small i's in front of most words in his world

Comment

Thank you for these nice updates. If i may write a wish, please take a picture of that narrow retro administration building in #1456/8 at night. As far as i remember, they have a remarkable illumination also...
                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Theseimages are brilliant and offers a totally new view on your town.

I do have lot of favourites in this latest addition, but it's hard to pinpoint some.

But, I do like the eagle shot because it's one of the things I would really like to capture myself.
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                    X