This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sun about to break horizon

The first Boeing of the day from Oslo above my head where I have my work station

And the first helio to arrive from the fields. Now the oil service base has wakened
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Very atmospheric captures.
      Those Kristiasund's seagulls like to show off,it seems!

Comment

Yes, 'yvneac'..., it was a very calm and atmospheric morning, even with job start only 15 minutes away :-)

Jan-Olav, as to #1429: No, haven't seen that film before. Thanks for giving me the link! Started watching just now, and I think it's a beautiful old piece :-)

Comment

Post 1430 is a collection of nice images: well composed and full of atmosphere.
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Sterkoder
            Sterkoder commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. Means alot coming from you :-)

• pakarang
            pakarang commented
            Editing a comment
            Awww... I'm no expert though.... you make me blush.

A few pictures from Kristiansund on this 12th day of November 2015, just as nice as any day in July.... Sundbåt ferry ANGVIK on its way from Kirkelandet to Innlandet.

North side of Innlandet

Just christened PSV vessel SIEM PRIDE as seen from Nordlandet

Kirkelandet as seen from Nordlandet

Comment

1435-1 is an interesting composition.... a kind of like "new and old" in one shot. Kind of cool actually.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thanks! As I waited for the christening seremony of the ship to start, I raised my Pentax to my eye and looked around for "something" to photograph.
              The top notch Norwegian photographer Roger Brendhagen once said we should learn to take pictures with both eyes open (sometimes). Just to get the big picture and not miss anything.
              It happened here, as in my left eye I saw the sundbåt Angvik pass behind the stern of the moored PSV vessel...., which gave me an opportunity to adjust and get ready to include this important harbour element in my picture.
              This time I have most certainly had the time to do it even with my left eye closed and only focusing with my right eye, due to the low speed of the sundbåt, but it show the way Mr. Brendhagen often works in his photography. :-)

Comment

• Tommi
                Tommi commented
                Editing a comment
                That reminds me of something that has become a cornerstone of my photography: regardless how static the motif may be - there's only a certain moment of time when a certain picture can be taken. Or as I more commonly express it verbally: pictures should be taken when they can be taken.

• Sterkoder
                Sterkoder commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree to your comment, Tommi.
                And as H-C. Bresson once said it: Photography is instant action - drawing is meditation (as he also was a good drawer) :-)

Today I say congratulations and happy birthday to the sundbåten in Kristiansund, the oldest public transportation in continuous traffic in the world. 139 years today :-)

The steam sundbåt KVIK started it all on 18th November 1876 and the sundbåt company and its different vessels has been operating ever since..., also during the WW2.

Comment

• nari
                nari commented
                Editing a comment
                What a lovely little craft - carrying its age so well.

• Sterkoder
                Sterkoder commented
                Editing a comment
                This one, named RAPP, is from 1958 and out of traffic. It's being preserved though, by dedicated men and women useing it for charter in its original appearance :-)

Went out with my Pentax again yesterday, and here are my pictures, starting with the small tanker DART arriveing to moore at Storkaia

The view from Thon Hotel on Innlandet

Moved to Bjørnehaugen (the "Hollywood-sign" you know), and we see the harbour toward west

The "Stormvarsel" say southwest force gail wind

Tried my Samsung 10-17mm vide angle lense

From the Bjørnehaugen I drove dovn to the sundbåt quay on Nordlandet, looking toward Kirkelandet and Sørsundet bridge

Reefer VIDFOSS arriveing

Comment

Never seen VIDFOSS before, so a couple of pictures were in place

Kirkelandet

A lot of weather passing north of the city, but the dark sky looks rather nice in a picture

Detail of Kirkelandet

Finally I drove to Vadsteinsvik to spot three oilrigs layed up at Averøy. Here are Transocean Spitsbergen and Transocean Barents

Last picture for now show Scarabeo 5

Comment

All awesome images, Sterkoder... despite the lack of light and green trees, you managed to capture a lot of colors and moods with your presentation.

Well done. These are a new great serie from you that you can be proud of!

Comment

Thank you J-O, one tries from time to time

On this next to last day of 2015, I set the alarm so that I could be out of bed in time to capture "half an hour before sunraise, half an hour after sunraise", which is one of two "photographers hour" of the day. I drove to old Kvitnes ferry quay some 5 km from my home, then into the city over to Innlandet and ended up by the HSC quay at Kirkelandet.
                    It's up to you to diside how lucky I was in my captures, so here we go...

From Kvitnes toward southwest and Reinsfjell mountain, half an hour before the sun showed itself

Had to try some b/w long exposure pictures. This was taken at ISO100, f/29 and shutter 30 seconds

Maximum zoom (135mm) and a little cropping of Reinsfjellet (994 meters)

Eastward, and you can spot some remainds of the old ferry quay, which ended operations in 1992

A switch back to a long exposure again

South-southwest towards Gjemnessundet suspention bridge

A wider angle from my point of spotting the world...

Comment

One more from Kvitnes before driving to town (Iuse city and town every other time, but you all know what I mean)

From the breakwater in Sørsundet inlet towards east and the most beautiful harbour

Out on that breakwater it is a lighthouse. Had to be a bit "creative" while I found time to be there (Ooooo, wonder if my english teacher turn around in her grave)

When there are strong winds in a certain altitude, from a certain direction, it creates beautiful cloud bases

From Innlandet we see Thon Hotel to the right and Kirkelandet to the left. Gomalandet in the distance (The picture got out of focus when uploaded to Photobucket, don't know why)

Comment

• yvneac
                        yvneac commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Very nice shots.Number 5 with its cloudy sky is really great.

From the west side of Markussundet inlet we see the "Hollywood-sign" and Stormvarselet at Bjørnehaugen on Nordlandet.
                      The sign suitably say HAPPY NEW YEAR and the Stormvarselet say Gale force wind from south-east (white light over red). If a storm is in a forecast, a green light will shine below the two.

Vågekaia, the Pier and Innlandet

The Pier and sundbåt ANGVIK

Innlandet with the Bauta, salute cannons and christmas star

The old sundbåt RAPP is out of service, but kept alive and cared for by enthusiasts. Today they saild the boat around for a while. You can charter if you want, don't know the price though

I took the liberty to edit off the sundbåt fenders, because you don't sail with your fenders out

Ooops, the fenders are back

Three sundbåts in one shot. Left the new and operating ANGVIK, in the middle the veteran out of service RAPP and to the right, the permanently docked NORDSUND

Last edited by Sterkoder; January 5th, 2016, 07:58.

Comment

• nari
                        nari commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Again, Sterkoder, great photos of a very attractive town, especially the sunrise series.

Wonderful images and new additions from a town I have only good memories from, and which I always love returning to.

Comment

Working...
                      X