This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On my way to the position of the cannon

There are many buildings (remains), shelters, and gunnery positions in the area

One of my favourite pictures from yesterday. Great light inside, and I'm particularly happy about that red brick there

In here was total darkness. Had to use blitz, in what I belive was an ammo storage

There are wires and barbed wires, and there are live barbed wires in the shape of thornes

Entrance to a large room in one of the rocks

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

It was so dark inside, and I could not get my Pentax to focus and so make the flash go off. Took a picture when walking out again

Don't know the use of this room, but looking at the door, maybe storage of something which did need some air. Anyway, this rock is hollow inside...

Many staircases in the area

Small and larger buildings everywhere

On my way up from the bay, I thought this was some pretty nice rock formations

Nice green colour in the moist forest floor

So here we are at the entrance to the area, and I suspect this is where the guards had their position. Like a main gate of some sort...

On top of the highest hill is the remains of a shelter with funnels and all. Perhaps some sort of a commandants office. I don't know... (And that red house yet again) :-)
      Last edited by Sterkoder; May 6th, 2015, 06:58.

Comment

Of course there were also an observation post here

Great view from the post

View down on the close by ship lane (Small local fuelboat/tanker HAVNEBUNKER seen here)

Kystekspressens TYRHAUG coming in from Trondheim

And leaving for a night stop at Edøy, Smøla. It will return to Kristiansund from there the day after, to bring people to work and school in the city

TYRHAUG with the houses at Langholmen in the background. Further back is Smøla with all the wind mills (I like the connection between the HSC colour and the colour of that little tiny house there on Langholmen ;-) )

Langholmen with Smølas wind mills in the distance

Great view far out on the ocean and main ship lane from here

That's all for now. Hope you enjoyed the walk with me "70 years back in time" :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
          Oh yeah...., one last picture. I thought it was some kind of forward first line mini firestation..., but it turns out it's a private home. (OUCH!)
          maybe it's red so the owner could find it at Google Earth.
          anyway i didn't found it there,but couldend find the WW2 ruins eather,
          but is there nothing to find in the historical books of Kristiansund?
          best regards Thijs

Comment

Thanks for making a comment, Thijs! :-)
            There are most certainly info about the german activity in history books, but I haven't had time to study yet (belive it or not).
            It got all the more interesting now that I've walked their stairs and around in the shelters and all myself. I could hear their steps and voices, closeing my eyes...

Comment

i had surch on GE for those parts,but no one placed images there on GE.and on the satelite images is nothing to see of it.
              looking at the images,i think it's in the red circle,also because of the sight to kristiansund.but can't find the lighthouse aswel also GE not when i typed the Norwegian name.
              btw still not find the red house.

best regards Thijs

Comment

The lighthouse is there, you can see its shadow ;-)
                Even though the GE map is dated 2015, the red house is not yet built.
                I made a screen shot with additional markings. The place is marked 'Kvitneset' on all maps.

Comment

i was in the right part,but stil nothing to see,but saw the lighthouse now
                  best regards Thijs

Comment

Very nice images Sterkoder. Makes me remember the year I had myself in your city.... loved walking out by the sea and around all those WW2 remains.... there is a lot of history out there.
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Kristiansund 9. May 2015, early morning.

Comment

17. May, Constitution Day in Norway, started with rain and hail in our community at Frei in the morning. After half an hour, the sun came through and she's still shineing now, at 9:30 PM :-)

Frei has always had its own prosession, because before 2008, it was its own municipality. On New Years Eve 2008, we became a part of Kristiansund.
                        Anyway, here's a report from early morning

A good neighbour in heavy rain, but still smileing :-)

My daughter smile to the photographer. We can't do nothing about the weather...

Frei Hornblower Band

The prosession ended with the speach of the day at one of the schools

Comment

Later in the day, at around 16:00 PM, it was time for the Borgertoget (a citizens prosession), consisting of all the different clubs, societies and organizations in Kristiansund.
                          This year we were visited by the hurtigrute LOFOTEN, and in addition to the Open Ship arrangement, the crew marched in the prosession.

The old SAR-vessel RS CHRISTIANSUND and sundbåt ferry FRAMNÆS flying their signal flags

Old veteran fire boat SLUKK II

The local divers club always has an aquarium at the Pier. Popular among kids..., and some older kids :-)
                          This year it might seem like they have a little mermaid in the tank, but as we all know, this was just a funny little reflection :-D

FRAMNÆS operating in a most beautiful harbour

First in the prosession this year was the new restored old firecar from Kristiansund, an old Ford mod. A from 1932. The resauration is all made out by firemen on duty,
                          some on their spare time, and it is all very respectful.

Second this year, but usually always first, the police and the scouts carrying flags

Hello back! :-)

The passengers obviously not used to the 17. May celebration, seemed to enjoy alot.

Comment

It's always life and colours in the Borgertog in Kristiansund. A dance school called Anetts Danceteria always display colourful appearances.

Even employees of the local hospital participated

Officers of the crew enjoy themselves in the sunshine

And some even climb the steep ladders from deep down below when the music and prosession pass :-)

Deck hands wait the signal to retrieve the rope

Prepair to cast loose at around 17:00 PM

After the prosession had passed the LOFOTEN, they continued up Hauggata

Comment

Nice report from your city! Looks like you had some heavy showers at some point, but then, the sun cam back out and made it a wonderful day!

Same here in Trondheim, a pre-lunch shower followed by most scattered clouds.
                              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

From Samsung HI Co Ltd in Korea to Kristiansund, the oil storage vessel HEIDRUN B arrived Monday afternoon (My boss let me off the hook once again, so I was able to be there from 2 PM)

The ferry AURE which my buddy bought last week from Fjord1. He's heading home at Smøla to repaint and rename...

One of the tugs (FAIRMOUNT SHERPA) finished its job after the sailing from Asia and the pilot is disembarking (a ferry suddenly looks very small out on open sea)

HEIDRUN B is 250 m. long, 46 m. wide and can hold 850.000 barrels of oil

Passing Kvitnes light.

The HSC from Trondheim passing, with a slight correction of direction there, as we see in the slipstream :-)

The view towards west

The once largest crane in the city becomes rather small

Comment

Working...
                                X