No announcement yet.

This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today, 18th November 2014, we say 'Congratulations!!!' to the Sundbåten company in Kristiansund.
    Since 18th November 1876 and the very first roundtrip on the harbour with sundbåten KVIK, the roundtrip between the "lands" (Kirkelandet, Innlandet, Gomalandet) has run uninterrupted for 138 years. This makes the Sundbåten in Kristiansund the oldest company for passenger transport in the world, in continuous operation.

New this year, is the possibility to charter FRAMNÆS for evening cruises, ref. web-site link here. (And what a stunning image they have choosen to accompany the article! ;-) )

Link: http://www.sundbaten.no/nyheter/kvel...torieforteller
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Too late for the sunset itself, but anyway, here's a short report from me and my Pentax on top of Kvernberget (206 meters), where the city of Kristiansund can be watched towards west.

Half way up

On the top, for the most beautiful and relaxing view :-)

Southbound hurtigrute TROLLFJORD arrives via Sørsundet inlet

Don't ask why I always have to have that binocular in the frame...

Ok, here's one without

Finally, time to stumble down again..., in darkness. Where's my headmounted walking light?. Down in my car :-D

Comment

• Tommi
        Tommi commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice!
        I had to import two of the pictures into Lightroom just to try to edit them a bit. And yes, they looked a bit different. Better or worse? Well hard to tell.

• Sterkoder
        Sterkoder commented
        Editing a comment
        They are already edited in FastStone from my hands. And remember, they are largely scaled down ;-)

Nice!
      I tried to import two of the latest pictures into Lightroom just to try some editing. Well the result was a bit different. Better or worse? Well, that's a matter of taste.

Comment

Beautiful - those night shots from Kvernberget is absolutely phenomenal!

In regards to "The former maritime equipment dealer Jonas Eriksen AS building in some nice morning light."..... did I read somewhere that this building is going to be converted into apartments?
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Sterkoder
          Sterkoder commented
          Editing a comment
          No, my friend, not apartements. Guess what the politicians have done?
          The politicians, in a city already on a tight budget in need to save money all over, has bought the building for NOK 26 millions. Then they will refurbish and rebuild for NOK 43 millions and build it together with the City Hall to create some sort of "City Hall and Municipal Service Square".
          In short, this building will be converted into offices for politicians and bureaucrats. How crazy is that? In a city crying for more life, hustle and bustle in the city center.

After yesterdays 'julebord' with the aero club, it was a good feeling to get out in fresh air today. My walk started down by the Kirkelandet church and ended up at the Varden, the highest point in the city center.

Back side of the church

The original 'varde' in front of the new one.

Once the smallest municipality in Norway, Grip, to the left with Grip lighthouse to the right

200 meters long FEDERAL SETO on the horizon, on her way from Mosjøen to Antwerpen

Time to walk down to my car again. The two "towers" with Kvernberget in the background

Once in my car, I drove over to Innlandet. Thon hotel to the left, Sørsundet bridge and EDDA FAUNA at Storkaia quay. The fishing boat is GRIPAR on her way to her berth in Vågen

Finally, towards Gomalandet, we see LADEJARL departing. (I thought we saw the last of this HSC last spring, when TERNINGEN replaced her).

Comment

• Sigve
          Sigve commented
          Editing a comment
          After a julebord it often does one good to have som fresh air and a walk, and bringing a camera is also a good help!

Here's a report from a quick walk before a julebord ;-) Yesterday we were a few friends dining and enjoying ourselves way into the small hours of Sunday.
        This meaning I'll miss Händels MESSIAH performed in Nordlandet church starting 5 PM, but I saw it last year, so....

Anyway, here are my images from Saturday afternoon, 29. November in Kristiansund

From the roof of Kristiansund Tug company, we see car ferry VEØY and the rebuilding and upgrading of my school from 7th to 9th grade (1977-79).

Driving from that roof towards the city center via Vågen, I spotted this beautiful car. Cadillac Sedan DeVille, model 1970

A christmas decorated sundbåt (FRAMNÆS) at the Pier

Didn't have time to bring forward my tri-pod, so I had to find a suitable lightpole to lean against

From the bus stop on the other side of the road. Had to step back there to be able to get the christmas tree in the frame, useing my 18-135mm

Then FRAMNÆS departed for Innlandet. Hard to do handheld panning when the movement is not 90 degree on the camera :-)

Comment

• Tommi
          Tommi commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice and interesting as always.
          Yes, it's a very tricky angle to do panning in, but you cope it alright anyway. An alternative would have been to increase the ISO from 400 to 1600-something.

• Sterkoder
          Sterkoder commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree on your ISO-comment. I belive the image is grainy enough as it is :-)

• Tommi
          Tommi commented
          Editing a comment
          Your K-5 II should have a better noise performance than my 7D, and I often go up to 1600-3200, shoot in raw and develop in Lightroom, all looking quite ok.
          Underexposure sometimes adds unnecessary noise.

Now you've got me! I just wrote you an e-mail, hoping your mail address hasn't changed since 2010...
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I received your mail and will look into it. Don't wait for an express answer, but I'll answer as soon as I can ;-)

Well, if it was express or not...., I can't say. You have mail ;-)
          Last edited by Sterkoder; December 1st, 2014, 22:57.

Comment

I suspect it's all at my end, being affraid of climbing up the ISO ladder :-) Anyway, I tried one tonight, due to it being a moored boat and I needed a short shutterspeed to freeze its movement.

Here we go, starting with KONG HARALD on the southbound route, christmas decorated
            8 sek. EV0,3 f/8.0 ISO100 18mm

Old tug KAR built in Sweden 1890
            1/2 sek. EV1,0 f/4.5 ISO1600 68mm

Klippfish museum
            30 sek. EV1,0 f/8.0 ISO100 18mm (Could reduced my f-number, then set the EV to 0 and possibly raised my ISO)

Towards inner part of Vågen
            30 sek. EV2,0 f/6.3 ISO100 18mm

Traditional christmas star on the Bauta (Salute cannons) at Innlandet
            30 sek. EV2,0 f/8.0 ISO100 88mm

Thon Hotel Innlandet
            30 sek. EV2,0 f/8.0 ISO100 135mm

Comment

Yes, i received mail. You know, it is just because of the Cadillac in picture # 1346/2...
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Another trip with my Pentax this evening..., before the fog came and grayed out the whole city.
                These night shots were taken from in front of the Hollywood-ish sign at Bjørnehaugen and down by the sundbåt quay at Nordlandet. Enjoy :-)

City center with the Pier and decorated Kaibakken street.

Then NORDLYS arrived, and to freeze her forward movement I had to use ISO1600 to get down to F/4.5

Towards Markussundet and Nordlandet church to the left. ISO 100 F/8.0 and 30 sec. on this one

The trees were lit by the Hollywood-ish sign spotlights when the moon came through and the Stormvarselet (Strong wind warning lights) show two white, meaning south west gale wind
                This is Norways only operating strong wind warning sign, originally erected in the city center in 1898, movet to present spot in 1932.

Comment

Looking at your two last posts, I get the feeling that you have discovered that you actually know how to photograph in low light situations. Lots of great shots and sceneries!

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I just have to agree with Tommi,
                    amazing night shots, Sterkoder

• Sterkoder
                    Sterkoder commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You know, cruiseships have their horn battles....., and in Kristiansund, there are two photographers having some sort of a picture battle, or how I should put it.
                    I "met" a guy on FB, a pensioneer who just bought a Sony Alpha 77, a good variety of lenses and a copy of Lightroom just over a year ago. I have never met him in real life, even though he lives not far from my home. We have a good tone on FB, also in the PM section, and we exchange tips and info and so on.
                    He has grown to be a rather good photographer, and without him knowing...., he pushes me out to try to take even better pictures than I did yesterday.
                    I discovered his abilities when he started to post his fantastic aurora borealis pictures on FB.
                    I'm not a big fan of "double dipping" or copying what others have done, but he manage to inspire me to go out and try the same, and even better.
                    Of course, he does not know of this "picture battle"-thing of mine, and I will never tell him :-)
                    (I don't know if it works, but his username on FB is Johan Kristian Grøtte, if you want to take a peek. I dare to use his name here, because I don't think he will see this post).

NOTE: It's nothing serious, just fun from my part. It's nice to be able to learn from eachother.

• Seagull
                    Seagull commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I now have a new ,,,make that two ...absolute all time favourite Sterkoder images!
                    Being me, it's not only because of admiring the camera settings and so forth, but the sense of place - a place which I was so very happy to have found my way to that time I stayed in the city for longer than a hurtigrute does!
                    Stormvarselet!

Not a single space left at the quays in Kristiansund this Saturday

Even though they are completely new, they are totally different :-)

Restaurant Bryggekanten Brasserie & Bache Bar is in the middle of it all...

Comment

Today, the marine onsurface-undersurface and ROV company Abyss got a new workboat, the FOSNAKONGEN. It was christened at the Pier.

Comment

Such giants you have captured! Very nice composition in 1353:3. Nice technical quality too!

Comment

Working...
                      X