No announcement yet.

This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great photos Svein - rather springlike where you are. Bright here, but very cold!!

Re the graffiti - Yves' street art thread confirms what you say, art to some people, vandalism to others. Even the glorious 'Banksy' artworks which have appeared in this part of the world over the past few weeks are true art, but I'd rather not have one on my house.
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Thanks 'PoloUK' ;-)

I guess some of you has seen my next series of pictures on Facebook, but as I know not everybody is able to see (or even want to) what's going on at FB...., I will, as usual, post them in here also, in correct cronological sequense from start to end so that you can follow me even on a map if you want to :-)

For years I have wanted to picture boats and ships other than alongside the quays and come Easter Eve I found the place..., called Klubba here in Kristiansund. This has been a popular place to relax and take in nature for decades...., but in my soon 51 years short life, I have never been here.
      (Nice to know: all the stone and rocks needed to build Nordlandet church, as I'm sure you're familiar with now, has been collected at Klubba).

Before you fall asleep, let's go...

To get to Klubba, the main passage goes via the main cemetery at Kirkelandet. A beautiful place if you open your eyes and look around.
      The building is not a church, but the city crematory

Nice passage with that special greenish light from the cemetary to Klubba

Sad eyes watching ;-)

Then the area opens up and we see the sailing passage in and out to Kristiansund and the Stavnes lighthouse at Averøy
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

There was extensive use of the Pentax at Klubba..., to say the least :-)

A narrow beach of rolling stones...., makes a comforting sound

The site and sound of Klubba was downright awesome. And it wasn't even the largest waves that day...

Towards Stavnes lighthouse at Averøy

A bit closer

View towards the Norwegian Sea and North Atlantic ocean

Two of the locals :-)

Comment

The movement of the ocean is so facinating

An eagle came from Averøy...

...and passed me on its way to the city

Then, a familiar object came forward behind the rocks :-)

POLARLYS is passing between Klubba and Stavnes

The waves kept pounding in...

Comment

Continuing with POLARLYS

An unedited image slipped through my sensorship...

And she turned port to continue her way across Hustadvika on her way to Molde

It was time to return and walk towards the cemetary again

Spring is here

Comment

Many different trees on the way

It is a beautiful light here

The city crematory

This cemetary has many family graves. I just want to say that despite me walking around in my own bubble with camera and camera bag..., I do so in the outmost respect.

An angel on a gravestone. So white in all the darker colours....

Comment

There is a story to these angel pictures, but I can tell you later...

The circle is closed, and I'm on my way out of the cemetary again after a most satisfying walk (I know. Sound strange..., if you think about it)

Here's a little something if anyone cares to follow my steps. This sign is naturally at the red dot ;-)

That's all folks..., hope you enjoyed... :-)

Comment

Indeed a satisfying walk through your photos Svein. And thank you for including the display sign map.When I was in Kristiansund I loved discovering Vanndammen, continuing across to the tower at Varden. Now I can see that next time I should explore the other side, and on to Klubben.

Comment

So nice captures Svein. I can feel the power of the sea in the pictures from the beach, and I'm totally fascinated about the blue-green water.
                    Nice captured of the trees in 1256/2 and great compositions of the church and the angels.

Comment

Fascinating captures from a city it is very easy to fall in love with.

84 pages into the thread and you still find new places and new motifs - that is very admirable, Sterkoder. Keep shooting with that camera!
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Oh yes...., I can reassure you (all), I will continue to take pictures with my Pentax, both here in Kristiansund and from other places :-)

Just went back to page 64 (just a random page) and I remember how satisfied I was with my pictures then, and the though of "this is the best I can" I had in my head. Funny then to go to page 74. Pictures are even better, technically, and also slightly in photography itself. At that point I also thought that it will be impossible for me to take better pictures than what I did right there.
                        But what do you know...., then came page 84, and vola!....., better pictures again, both technically and in composition (all in my personal oppinion, of course).

What is my point here, you might ask...?

My point is that it pays off to go out with any camera and practice, practice, practice!!! You will always learn new stuff, you can always be better than today. Isn't that a great thought? I think so...

Comment

• Sigve
                          Sigve commented
                          Editing a comment
                          One developes continually. Day by day. A good camera and a good eye are wonderful tools. It’s called progress. You shouldn’t be surprised.

• Sterkoder
                          Sterkoder commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Surprised might be the wrong word, I see that...., and I'm not, but as one of my favourite street photpgraphers John Free said: "You practice in playing an instrument, you practice in football, you practice in handball, basketball, baseball and what not in your life..., why does most people tend to belive it is just to pick up the camera and push the shutter button to take a picture? The same thing apply to photography, of course, PRACTICE!"
                          John Free use large letters when he speaks passionately about this, and today I understand what he mean. Taking a picture is often hard work, from detecting the motif to a finished pictorial product.
                          I'm not bragging about my own photography, far from it, I'm just so happy to discover and learn from other photographers :-)
                          So yes, Sigve, it's a process, and a progress going on...., that's for sure.

Funny how our standards change as we learn and get older (?)...

I have done some spring cleaning on my hard drives - you know, I have some 500.000 images from a long life of picture taking.

Needless to say, a lot have now been deleted because 1) I'll never open the images again 2) The digital file was only 2-300 pixels wide 3) The overall quality of the image is nothing to share - anywhere. 4) My earlier images doesn't meet my approval .....
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Sterkoder
                          Sterkoder commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You are a bit like myself: when looking at my early "work", I get very embarrassed. I thought my pictures from that periode was "the best pictures ever" only to see them today (8-9 years later) and really discover how bad they were. (Not all, and by MY standards, of course).
                          Where I am today in photography, shows that it helps to practice, it helps to seek information and watch educational videos, and it helps to attend lectures by professional photographers and listen to them talk not only about photography, but also about life and all...
                          (And in 8-9 years, I might be embarrassed about some of my "work" of today. That is development, and I'm happy we do...., develop) :-)

• Tommi
                          Tommi commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I perhaps don't delete so much old stuff, but I actually store less and less of the new stuff. I kind of have developed a feeling for which pictures theoretically can be interesting to share or use in the future - so I'm saving less of that "just in case material".

• Sterkoder
                          Sterkoder commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You're doing the right thing Tommi..., and I might start to not store every picture I take myself.
                          I understand more and more the message from documentary street photographer John Free (take a look on YouTube, I recommend it strongly) when he say that a picture you take "just in case" will NEVER come to live as a picture you can use. So therefore you might want to NOT take it, or just delete it at once. I have been more good at NOT taking a picture when I'm out walking.

Time for a cruise ship again in Kristiansund.
                        This time it was Phoenix Reisens ARTANIA with her 231 meters...., seasons largest. I'm sure you all see and know where my pictures are taken from, so I post without text.
                        Please ask if you have any questions.

Had an extended lunch at the arrival around noon Tuesday

Comment

Had to have that tanker in the middle of the bridge arch :-)

The fog came in from the ocean, and created some magic images over the evening

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X