No announcement yet.

This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As Frei became a part of Kristiansund a couple of years ago, Frei Church is now in Kristiansund and I post my pictures from tonight here.
    I'm trying to be a better photographer in no/low-light conditions, and tonight I took these pictures of our church from the same spot I stood taking my two pictures above here...., only turned around 120°.

(Pictures taken without tri-pod, so bare with me. Although I see great potential when using supporting means to my camera)
    This one in Manual

This one in Auto
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Looking at these two latest images, I don't think it is your focus which is the problem but maybe the graininess, which normally comes from a high ISO setting...

An ISO value of 100 makes a sharper image than an image with an ISO of 1600.

The less ISO, the more light the image needs (longer exposure times).

I like the Auto image here, because the light areas doesn't look "washed out"... a problem which comes after a too long exposure. I would be interested in seeing a Manual mode image, with shorter exposure time or lower ISO...

If you have that opportunity, I think you could get a sharper image...

Well, I'm just thinking out-aloud... as I do not know the functions and how your camera works.

Additionally, I love the images though: this is a very beautiful setting and makes me think of dark Christmas nights...
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thank you so much for good advice, Jan-Olav!!!

The ISO was set by me to 400 in both images, and the Auto-info is Shutter 1/5, aperture F2.8, focal length 6.7mm

Manual-info is Shutter 1/1.5, aperture F2.8, focal length 5.7mm

Comment

The new building of the harbour authority and cargostore opens 1st July 2010.
          The building will also include a waiting facility for hurtigruten passengers, so there will be a 100% improvement on that front, thankfully!

Jan-Olav:
          As for the requested images of the church, I went out again, inspired by your comment. Brought with me my tri-pod and tried again. Nope, not satisfied, and images spoiled by a bright spotlight I honestly didn't see in the camera seeker when I was on the spot.
          Oh, well...., now I know taking good pictures is certainly nothing one just do "just like that"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
            B]Jan-Olav:[/B]
            As for the requested images of the church, I went out again, inspired by your comment. Brought with me my tri-pod and tried again. Nope, not satisfied, and images spoiled by a bright spotlight I honestly didn't see in the camera seeker when I was on the spot.
            Oh, well...., now I know taking good pictures is certainly nothing one just do "just like that"
            So happy that you did... it takes a few tries and fails before you will get the right shot. Normally when I go out too, I take a whole series of images at many different setting, so that when I return home, I can choose, select and delete as I find necessary. That is the phenomenal thing about doing it digitally as opposed to the maximum 24 shots available with old style film.

The ISO of 400 might be a bit too high if the image processor is of a "low end type" such as those found in compact cameras. In a modern up-to-dae digital SLR, the processor will give considerable better images at ISO 400.

Normally, at night, I use ISO of 100 or even as low as 64: those images are more clear in dark areas and give better sharpness.

Next week, I'm off duty for 2 weeks... if you have time, feel free to come to the "bartebyen" for a quick - and free - photo course...

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Next week, I'm off duty for 2 weeks... if you have time, feel free to come to the "bartebyen" for a quick - and free - photo course...
              Hmmmm...., and now, the coming Monday, I start at work again

You know, I belive we're better off waiting until the days get longer, as it's completly possible to take a daytrip back and forth to Trondheim, if we haven't managed to meet before that
              (We must keep the potato hot, so to speak).

Thanks for good phototechnique advice though!!

Comment

Kristiansund harbour is so peaceful in the sunset this afternoon. Only a fishing vessel, "Liaholm", is going out through the Sørsundet outlet, and of course...., a lone seagull flies past my lense

Comment

Kristiansund harbour is so peaceful in the sunset this afternoon. Only a fishing vessel, "Liaholm", is going out through the Sørsundet outlet, and of course...., a lone seagull flies past my lense
                  This is a great image... the seagull in the image frame also adds an additional point of interest to the image as well!

Comment

Thought so too.
                    Looked into the viewfinder with my right eye and watched the surrounding areas with my left eye to see if there came a seagull

Comment

As you know, my camera died yesterday. Gladly I managed to save the pictures I took, as I use the same memorycard in the Fujifilm as in a smaller Olympus µ760 of mine.
                      Here's Amfi Storkaia Brygge shopping mall

Hotel Rica, main office of the local newspaper and policestation

Comment

Hmmmm...., and now, the coming Monday, I start at work again:rolleyes
                        Sorry your days of living life on the couch are coming to an end, Big S, but I'm glad you and your knee are mended!!!!!

Comment

I'm not sorry that the sofa-days are over. One more week here, and I would've exploded.
                          Now the times for loosing weight starts!!
                          And if my knee is mended I guess I wouldn't know until later after being at work for a while..., but my fingers are crossed

Comment

Knee working perfectly, and after buying myself a new camera today, it was time for some testing.
                            This is a picture zoomed to maximum taken from a dock in Kristiansund harbour via Sørsundet outlet to the old car ferry dock at Bremsnes.
                            Bremsnes is 5 km away.
                            (Yes, I know this is something one almost never do...., because taking a maximum zoom picture so close to the surface
                            result in 'heatradiation' and obscured air, if you see what I mean. Just testing)

Last edited by Sterkoder; January 18th, 2010, 23:57.

Comment

The scene and main house over at Thaitifestivalen in Kristiansund
                              (These are the two maiden images with the new camera, so they are not optimal)

The new Thon Hotel with the sailing vessel "Anne Margrethe" close by

Last edited by Sterkoder; January 18th, 2010, 19:42.

Comment

Virgin images! Straight out of the shop I presume?

Love the old clean look of the Thon hotel... I bet the inside design is just as great!

Comment

Working...
                                X