No announcement yet.

This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations Sterkoder, you had it in you all the time!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Congratulations Sterkoder, fantastic picture.
      Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

congratulations Svein,great image
        best regards Thijs

Comment

Thank you..., thank you.
          Went out tonight again, and I discovered one thing; photographing boats/ships in the slightest wind is difficult. So therefore, no ship photos this time.
          Tried out a few camera settings down at Mellemværftet Ship yard from the 1800s, but there are something missing. 'Learning by doing' is a sentense flying around in the back of my head.

First, the new SKANDI ICEMAN

Then, Mellemværftet

The gangway pass the old brick building

Try out b/w with the old crane

Don't like the green glow of that lamp, but who can do anything about it

The old slipways
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• Tommi
            Tommi commented
            Editing a comment
            Whoa-again, you're the man of great surprises this winter. I think that you often said that there ain't nothing to photograph in the dark evenings, but I think that you perhaps have discovered some new possibilities?
            #1179/5: you're correct - there ain't so much to be done to the green lamp at the time of exposure. The only possibility is image editing: to make the picture b/w, or to change the colors manually.
            You actually have a camera that is one of the best low-noise performers in its class, it's definitely better than my 7D. By that reason I think that you shouldn't be afraid to to crank up the ISO to 1600-3200-6400 and go for a few ship photos, try it - and you'll learn to master it.

awesome pictures Svein,including the ''iceman''.
          best regards Thijs

Comment

Thanks Thijs..., and here's one last picture. The south wall illuminated by a street light from the street above and behind the old building.

Comment

Needless to say: awesome images again Sterkoder.

The only way to take the green out of that light you mention would be to shoot in RAW format, and then tweak the image when you convert it to a JPEG.... I guess.
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thanks for the tips! :-)
                I heard today that one can subscribe to the full package Photoshop and PS Lightroom with all upgrades for $9.99/month, so I might do that. Offer expires (you have to subscribe before) 31. December 2013.
                I mean, what else do we spend NOK 94,- per month on...?
                And, I must try to take images in RAW as I don't do that today.

Comment

• Tommi
                  Tommi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LR will cover 95% of your needs as long as you're only adjusting exposure, colors, cropping and sharpness/noise reduction.
                  PS is great for modifying pictures.

• pakarang
                  pakarang commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Is that an ADOBE Creative CLoud membership through Adobe?

That was my birthday gift from a bunch of friends in Thailand for my 40th. A full year of subscription and use of all Adobe applications.

It's a great membership - but be aware, after a year the price per month will dramatically increase.

Svein, you can take that green out very easily in Tintii. I took the liberty of downloading it and it hasn't come out too badly.
                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Tommi, I'll go out and try out the higher ISO settings.

What I want very much to master, is to take pictures when I have the combination of warm light, strong white light (spotlight, floodlight, street lights, ship searchlight and so on) and darker areas.
                  In short, and easy to explain as we all know his work: I want to learn to take nightshots as Tom do in Bergen :-)
                  Yes, I might well do ok with LR, as I use FastStone Image Viewer today.
                  I belive it's just as good as LR for me, as I understand the real difference would be if I started to take pictures in RAW.
                  (If I ever could understand, and remember, the camera techniques!! ).

Thanks folks, for inspireing words. Give me energy to go out and try some more. And let us hope for less wind :-)

Comment

• Tommi
                    Tommi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You can actually buy LR without a subscription, about 1300 NOK it is.
                    There are also other RAW converters around that might be worth trying out.

• PoloUK
                    PoloUK commented
                    Editing a comment
                    £73 / 730NOK on Amazon today. I know that Amazon don't deliver to Norway, but that may be a useful target price. I also adopted Lightroom - steered by Tommi - and it's probably the most useful bit of software I have on the PC (and the Mac!!).

Sterkoder and pakarang and all ...I think I am going to get shot down here!
                  It's just that #1179/5 is my absolute favourite BECAUSE of that green light. And in the first of Mellemværftet too, in #1179/2, where the colour of the wood contributes so much to the composition.

Ok not in all cases. To me the large "blocks" of sky and ground feel awkward and I feel I want swivel the camera more to the building on the right. That's less to do with the green colour, but in the last image,“the old slipways” #1179/6, that rather lighter shade of green on the left of the frame seems distracting to me and doesn't add to the mood of the image, and I think I'd have gone more for a more limited palette of just having the red-brown, yellow, and sky tones, and only a bit of the building on the left.

Thinking of the super-saturated style of some of your past images pakarang, and also some photography I see from Thailand photographers on websites and pages, I was a little surprised, but of course I can see you are just trying to help Svein achieve the kind of results he aims at - that more Tom-like style.
                  I must say that if I was more into fiddling with settings and post- processing I could easily enjoy using those techniques to produce even more "extreme colour" !!!!

The message of all this to everyone? ...your disappointing image could well be someone else's favourite and make them very happy!

Comment

• pakarang
                    pakarang commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree... the green light ain't bad at all. It's naturally bad if that is the effect you did not desire.

In that image, I think the green flare doesn't make it a bad image but rather adds to it.

Jan-Olav:
                  I found the PS and LR subscription on the Adobe homepages, after being told by my boss (who jumped on it).
                  He said be quick, as this was a limited offer.
                  Looked into it yesterday evening, and it looked really nice..., but a distant voice in the back of my head shouted: "Hey, you..., big man...., be sure to read everything in very, very, tiny small letters, because there are no such thing as a free lunch or close to it!!!! " .

I did not subscribe simply because I had too many questions not being answered by Adobe in FAQ, one of them being...; What happens when the sun stop shineing? When the one year is up?
                  Adobe is not doing this to be nice, they are doing it to earn more money.
                  Nope..., I belive I will still use my FastStone, as I'm satisfied with it and does not need more.

And one more thing that struck my mind: Why can't I just post pictures without explaining every detail????
                  I think I will just post so the viewers can just look at them and think whatever they want.

Comment

• pakarang
                    pakarang commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, you found the so-called fine-print. They are "giving" you the first year for a cheap monthly fee, but once that year is up, they hike up the prices dramatically. And to put it this way - their costumer service ain't good at all. I lost a month of access to their services and they absolutely refused to refund a single dollar or accredit me anything at all. Apperantly, in fine print somewhere (which I had accepted when "signing up") they are not responsible at all for any damages if a customer can't access the service they have paid a top-dollar for.

Here is more of my experiences with Adobe and their customer service:

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/its-a-...-on-adobe.html

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                  ....Why can't I just post pictures without explaining every detail????
                  I think I will just post so the viewers can just look at them and think whatever they want.
                  Well that would be a shame, here on CVF. Those times when you feel you want to explain how you feel about a photo, of course you should do so. (…and I'm sure you all know me well enough to take my "I think I am going to get shot down here! " with a pinch or two of the proverbial salt! )

Comment

What I ment was, why do I try to explain why a picture from my hands look like it does, why do I always talk about things that might inflict in the quality? If there are no problems, I'm an expert in making my own... Look at the great photographers, they make pictures that are at an angle, are too dark or light, blurry or out of focus in one way or the other and more. But why do they exhibit and why does such pictures become icons? They have something to tell, they tell us a story or hit us in one way or the other. And don't misunderstand me, I am glad to read tips and "how to" about my pictures.

Comment

Svein we all want explain what we do.Maybe it's a way to explain it to ourselves."To tell a story" you said.Your photos are full of stories and, as for me, looking at them, I feel as I am in Norway.For the Frenchman I am, you hit the target.

Comment

Working...
                      X