Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: This is Kristiansund

Deleted by self due to double post...
    Last edited by Sterkoder; August 19th, 2013, 21:21.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Mm, wow, lots of really nice additions here! May I comment some of them?

#1083:5, those houses may be of different style, but they actually match very well.

#1084:5, that BW picture really stands out, but I cannot put my finger on why.

#1085:3, nice colors

#1085:6, I love how all details really stand out, almost like you could feel them

#1086:2, ah - heureka! My Svinto comes from Kristiansund!

#1087, nice details of the bridges - perhaps a bit tricky to capture?

Comment

Ah..., thank you for taking time commenting Tommi!

I can't put my finger on the b/w neither..., perhaps I would've cropped it harder if I should post it again. I don't know.

So, it's called SVINTO in Sweden. Not far from SVINT in Norway though...
        The factory is called Kronull and is run by Lilleborg AS since 1961.

When I said Svint was known world wide, I must now cut down on the bragging and say Scandinavia.
        The distribution from Norway to other scandinavian countries is taken care of by Cederroth.

Comment

The bright blue-sky Sterkoder style at its best in all of #1083
          I found a lot of architectural pleasure in these too, as I like that there are bold modern-style modern houses and not just pastiche of old style or half-hearted compromises. It’s nice to see how the white and traditional red colour tie in old and new in #1083/5, and I also like the first photo in #1084. Here light and shadow of the balconies provide subtle variations rather than vivid colour in this case –and the similar tones of the carefully constructed stone quay gives a balancing solidity to the lightness of the balconies.

It was the surreal aspect of the b&w image that I find so compelling. It seems to me to address the question “What is water” in a quite different way than many of you brilliant photographers on the forum have experimented with previously. It has a sand dune feel, as if enveloping a mountain range on another planet, a rocky peak just revealed at the focus point and vegetation taking hold in the distance.

Old and new bridges in #1087 revert to the themes of the construction and materials of #1084/1, and also (especially in #1087/5) conveyed to me a strong feeing of lines and angles of rotation – from the darker distant shore and building, and through successive bridges, until I am imagining I’m in the boat with a strong compulsion to turn and head for the shore back left! Perfect colour too, and from there to the Vestbase ones as the light gets dimmer and….I can’t bring myself to use the word poorer – let’s just call it lower light levels, more challenging photographically, and beautiful when you get it right as you did.

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
            bit do you see what i mean Ivy?
            I think your use of the word "scared" misled me, Thijs, and I misunderstood what you meant. But yes, that picture startled me, too, and made me jump.Then I quickly realised that it was not "her". But such similarity in several ways!
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Mr. Sterkoder,

You should be the Chief of Tourist Office... !

Your images - and particularly the detail shots - are nothing but wonderful. Naturally, you live in a very beautiful city - but your images and the variations are showing great inventiveness.

Over the past 5-6-7 years, you have pictured every corner of your city - but still come up with and find new things to picture. That is a talent I wish I had more of.
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
              Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
              Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

but still come up with and find new things to picture.
                Thank you for your nice words

Well...., I guess the main reason for finding new things to picture is the fact that I finally got to lift my lazy behind up from the seat of my car and use my two feet to walk around in my own city, and at the same time lift my view 5-10 meters from the street level...

And of course, overcome the "fear" of walking around in the midst of crowds of completely unknown people with a camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                  And of course, overcome the "fear" of walking around in the midst of crowds of completely unknown people with a camera.
                  Just watch out so you don't get childrens' ice cream on the lens!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
                    Just watch out so you don't get childrens' ice cream on the lens!
                    Hahaha...., I'm over 50 years old now, so I seldom get own on my knees....

Your advice comes out of experience?

Comment

Meanwhile it should be the problem of the people to be unknown, because everyone in town should know YOU!
                      (... and should be happy about each single picture, which will be an advertisement for K'sund)
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Well, thank you!
                        Someone once said I've done more for my city than I knew then...

Would be great one day to know what...., like in how many 'discovered' and actually visited K'sund on the basic of reading/looking at pictures on CVF.

I know for sure hotels have had guests due to CVF.

Comment

Moon over Kristiansund early this morning, at around 06.25 AM

Small coastal tanker MARIA SOLTIN moored at the ex. shipyard Sterkoder. The view is straight in the Nordsundet inlet, across the harbour and over to Kirkelandet and the City Hall
                          Last edited by Sterkoder; August 27th, 2013, 22:55.

Comment

Two brilliant shots... I particularly like the moon shot.

I saw it from a moving ferry, so my image would never have med it to processing.... sad, but true.
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                            Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                            Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• I'm so happy to be on board CVF again, and it's a thrill being able to post in a great forum after all these days without.
                              Let me start with a happy face from the concrete wall under the road on top of Nordsundet bridge

Here's the rest of the "grafitti" under the bridge

This is the view from under the bridge towards Nordsundet inlet and Gomalandet on the other side (I'm standing under the bridgehead on Nordlandet)

Samples on site is proof of good concrete in the bridge. Traces of armour iron also present, so I'm calm when driveing over it...

Comment

• Coming in towards Nordsundet was an old sailing vessel I immediately couldn't say I've seen before

And from my position under the bridge, I saw she had a name written on the stern: SOLØY II.
                                She was built in Skårhavn, Sweden in 1904. She's 53,4 feet long and 18 feet wide. Gross tonnage is 35,91. Homeport: Molde

When checking my AIS at home, I saw the anchor handling offshore vessel KL SALTFJORD waiting in the harbour for hurtigrute RICHARD WITH to leave, so that they could get moored.
                                That ment I could get a few good shots, so I grabbed my camera and drove the 2 miles into town.
                                This is the view that met me from the Hollywood-ish sign on Bjørnehaugen

KL SALTFJORD

FAR SAPPHIRE came into the harbour via the Markussundet inlet

Comment

Working...
                                X