This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Kristiansund

We passed a 'flue' (a rock not breaking waterline in low tide) called Hansøyflua, and hazardous to boats and ships, marked with a light

Heard about steel whool SVINT, usually used in kitchens around the world?
    Well, here's the factory...., at Rensvik in Kristiansund

Behind the factory is Rensviksundet, where there are a couple of very nice wooden boats

Under the Rensviksundet bridge
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

A study of Rensviksundet bridge

Heading back to moore down our boat, we sailed under Omsundet bridges

Old Omsundet bridge from 1940. Due to the war, she was never officially opened, so in April 2005 they did...., 65 years after its opening...

New Omsundet bridge from 1985

The old bridge is saved as she is the only 'fagverk' constructed bridge of this size left in the area

We passed Vestbase in poorer and poorer photo light. Here's NORTH SEA GIANT moored, 153 meters long

Comment

Truly a giant...

Chemical tanker SUSANNE THERESA, a frequent visitor to Vestbase, sailed out in front of us

SUSANNE THERESA with the Bremsneshatten in the background

We had good clearance to the seabed here..., 20 meters

Speed limit in the harbour is 5 knots

Comment

Coming home again via Markussundet inlet

Here's one of the largest, if not the largest, wooden boat being built in Norway right now..., scooner IDEAL ( www.skonnert.no )

This is also an idea of one man, bringing along a workforce of dedicated workers (just like Vladimir with his SHTANDART)

This was all from my evening boattrip last Thursday evening. Hope you all enjoyed...

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
            This was all from my evening boattrip last Thursday evening. Hope you all enjoyed...
            Certainly did!! What a wonderful sequence of photographs Svein!

I love the black and white waves in #1084/5, rather soothing to look at.

What weather you had! The earlier photos look more like the Mediterranean than the West Coast!

Many thanks for sharing these with us.
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Mark, for nice words!!
              You say sequence...., and yes, they are sequencial as they start when we sailed out of the boat booth and end at the end of our trip.
              No jumping back and forth when posting, so as I like it, it's kind of possible to follow me around on a map.
              Not mandatory, but for those who want to... :-)

You are also correct about the light. It reminded me of Crete in the sunset hours...

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                I don't belive you have to be on FB to click into a link pointing in that direction ;-)
                I'm afraid you do, Svein. Yes, you can click, as I immediately did, but - as before when I have tried to reach FB URL's that people post - up comes a page saying I must register first. You are not allowed to see unless you are a member.
                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Thanks for letting me know, Ivy.
                  There's a PM sent with this comment..., and more ;-)

(But now all my images from the boattrip plus a picture of STABIL is in here at CVF so it should all be ok).
                  Last edited by Sterkoder; August 19th, 2013, 10:49.

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                    i did ,and scared the hell out of me.

(it goes about this one)

i was more refering to this little ferry.see the similarity between ''janihudi'' and ''stabil''

an image from long ago,note the wooden wheelhouse,the rest is as she always was,sailing back to Woerkum (Woudrichem) from Gorcum (Gorinchem)

best regards Thijs

Comment

Wow..., I can understand why this scared you as the picture of STABIL suddenly came up on your creen

Comment

Deleted by self due to double post...
                        Last edited by Sterkoder; August 19th, 2013, 21:21.

Comment

Mm, wow, lots of really nice additions here! May I comment some of them?

#1083:5, those houses may be of different style, but they actually match very well.

#1084:5, that BW picture really stands out, but I cannot put my finger on why.

#1085:3, nice colors

#1085:6, I love how all details really stand out, almost like you could feel them

#1086:2, ah - heureka! My Svinto comes from Kristiansund!

#1087, nice details of the bridges - perhaps a bit tricky to capture?

Comment

Ah..., thank you for taking time commenting Tommi!

I can't put my finger on the b/w neither..., perhaps I would've cropped it harder if I should post it again. I don't know.

So, it's called SVINTO in Sweden. Not far from SVINT in Norway though...
                            The factory is called Kronull and is run by Lilleborg AS since 1961.

When I said Svint was known world wide, I must now cut down on the bragging and say Scandinavia.
                            The distribution from Norway to other scandinavian countries is taken care of by Cederroth.

Comment

The bright blue-sky Sterkoder style at its best in all of #1083
                              I found a lot of architectural pleasure in these too, as I like that there are bold modern-style modern houses and not just pastiche of old style or half-hearted compromises. It’s nice to see how the white and traditional red colour tie in old and new in #1083/5, and I also like the first photo in #1084. Here light and shadow of the balconies provide subtle variations rather than vivid colour in this case –and the similar tones of the carefully constructed stone quay gives a balancing solidity to the lightness of the balconies.

It was the surreal aspect of the b&w image that I find so compelling. It seems to me to address the question “What is water” in a quite different way than many of you brilliant photographers on the forum have experimented with previously. It has a sand dune feel, as if enveloping a mountain range on another planet, a rocky peak just revealed at the focus point and vegetation taking hold in the distance.

Old and new bridges in #1087 revert to the themes of the construction and materials of #1084/1, and also (especially in #1087/5) conveyed to me a strong feeing of lines and angles of rotation – from the darker distant shore and building, and through successive bridges, until I am imagining I’m in the boat with a strong compulsion to turn and head for the shore back left! Perfect colour too, and from there to the Vestbase ones as the light gets dimmer and….I can’t bring myself to use the word poorer – let’s just call it lower light levels, more challenging photographically, and beautiful when you get it right as you did.

Comment

bit do you see what i mean Ivy?
                                I think your use of the word "scared" misled me, Thijs, and I misunderstood what you meant. But yes, that picture startled me, too, and made me jump.Then I quickly realised that it was not "her". But such similarity in several ways!
                                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Working...
                                X