This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Kristiansund

We got hold of the original letters of steam trawler BORGENES before it will be broken up in a short while

A flag, one of the old original company flags of Øverland Shipping in Kristiansund found its place.
    Under the flag an entrance to the kitchen and office is to the left and to the right is the entrance to a large library and toilets

One of our neighbours, Nordmørscafe, has re-newed itself. The white board was green before, torn green spotted colour with large old dirty letters.
    Now, it's a hole new ballgame. And nice it is!!!

Close to the Pier was sundbåt FRAMNÆS, and we see Nordlandet in the background.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Once again, so impressed to hear about such an active society and such dedicated members. The window display is already striking and I’m sure will attract considerable interest from people passing by (and indeed actually benefit the city’s streetscape). Great to have acquired the D/S Hjørundfjord wheel, and I’m so pleased about those letters from Borgenes too.

Comment

Thank you, Cecilia!
        And on top of that, our new location is right in the middle of the fast track between hurtigruten southbound and Piren quay area, where all the hurtigruten passengers walk while doing a short (very) stop in Kristiansund.
        We're having that in mind, and will look into the possibility to have open doors there from 16:00 to 17:00. We'll see. There are many ideas.

Comment

Found a short video on YouTube, made by NettStudio AS for Nordic Light Intl. Festival of Photography in 2006.
          It shows the beauty of Kristiansund and Nordmøre shire..., AND the speaker speaks english

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
            We got hold of the original letters of steam trawler BORGENES before it will be broken up in a short while
            pitty to read this,so no one want to try it.
            best regards Thijs

Comment

Personally, and I underline personally, I tend to think that the people behind the project of restoring BORGENES from day 1 made the mistake of not getting the people of Kristiansund on their side.
              They did not manage to present the project in a proper positive way, and as such, BORGENES has been the "laughing stock" of Kristiansund ever since and a project no one would be near in fear of being 'sucked' in...

Then, in an issue of Maritimt Magasin a few years back, Canadian Maritime Heritage Society very much wanted BORGENES to possibly rebuilt her as navy vessel CAILIFF, as she was originally built.

The people behind act like they have never heard about this, and instead of getting in direct contact with the Society, they proclaim to have sent letters to Canadian Embassy. Yeah, right...., as if they care....

Unfortunately, as the project with BORGENES started out in a wrong way, it seems like the majority of the citizens are happy to see an end to this.

Comment

maybe she is too far down now,but Swire your boss,can't you get him excited for the project,
                a big world wide company can make some goodwill of renovating her
                best regards Thijs

Comment

As you say, I belive she's beyond any rescue, and I'm just hanging on to a canadian hope.
                  I tend to belive this is something my employer will not go into, and for some reason, I agree...

Anyway, silent before hell brake loose in Kristiansund. National Meteorology Institute predict heavy rain during the night.

Before the rain came, I decided to bring my camera for a autumn walk along an old farmers road beneath our airports western end. This old gravel road is between the airport and Vestbase, and closed for cars.

I'm walking westbound here

Comment

Still walking west, I turned 180 degrees to take this picture..., and the barn can be seen on a distance

Luckily there was not a single drop, because here my lense is pointing straight up.

Passing the landinglights on the west end of our airport

Time to get back to my car, so here I walk eastbound

The autumn has many nice colours.

Here's the old barn. In the old times, farmers could butcher animals at their own farms, and looking into that door to the right there, I remember when I was 7-8 years old...., me and a couple of buddies came with our cycles here. We stopped to watch a huge ox being butchered. The old men told us to cycle on as this was nothing to see for us small kids.
                    But I mean, that was the action that day, so we would not comply.
                    (It's like when a big accident happen and the police tell everyone to walk away as it is nothing to see...)

Comment

This is the safety run a the western end of our airport.
                      That stone wall screem other things than safety, but ok..., if that is a smooth enough overrun for the aviation authorities, it's fine by me

Comment

Very moodful autumn pictures Sterkoder.

Comment

Another dramatic skyscape to start with Big S, caught at the perfect moment of Big Cloud relative to the bridge

The autumn colours are at the kind of greeny yellow stage for you, and it is very inviting for taking a walk. So pleased that once again you are indulging my fascination with what I might call “Greater Nordlandet” and the surroundings of the airport.

Already the gravel road being closed to cars seem to give it a certain atmosphere, and (at least the way my mind works!), a little bit more mysterious, and inviting exploration. I like the way you composed your pictures balancing road and trees in different ways –all effective in making me feel it was me walking there, complete with the occasional look back. Oh, and looking up too…there were images in those 366 projects like that, as well as in a movie of pakarang’s too –an inspiring idea for us all to have shared.

I feel quite excited as I reach the landing lights on this virtual walk!

Thanks too for sharing that memory from your childhood, a nice story.

Comment

Very beautiful autumn images, from a very scenic location too.

It's not easy taking "good" photos of autumn... snapshots won't do, you have to plan a little, and I can clearly see that you have executed those shots nicely!
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thank you for inspirational comments. It means a lot!!!

I'm sure you remember our main church in Kristiansund, the white crystal built in 1964. This is Kirkelandet church

Today I got a chanse to show you all how it looks like from inside, as me and my family attended a babtism of the little daughter of my canadian colleague.
                              My church is the stone church at Nordlandet from 1914, and I have a hard time liking the church room in Kirkelandet as I find it cold, large and not acustic at all.

Last edited by Sterkoder; October 26th, 2012, 07:10. Reason: Correcting terrible english language and writing

Comment

On the south wall, over the main entrance/exit is the church organ and ship
                                (I don't know from where or when the custom of having a sailing ship hanging from the roof in churches comes, so if anyone can enlighten me...)

Comment

Working...
                                X