This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Kristiansund

Norwegian Shipping History Society Nordmøre in Kristiansund are on the move, and within 30 days, we will have ourselves a new place to be.
    We're moving from uptown to the quay side, and will be behind the two curved windows to the right there in that yellow old building at Vågekaia.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Our local newspaper, Tidens Krav, has put up a stream camera in their editorial office, first floor of the Rica Hotel building, pointing south-west.
      This camera is showing the Sørsundet inlet (where among other vessels hurtigruten sail in and out), the western part of Innlandet with Averøy in the background.
      I belive this streaming camera is put up to show us all the weather we have here now:

http://www.tk.no/nyheter/article6219483.ece

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
        We're moving from uptown to the quay side....
        Oh yes, nice building on the quayside is just the place for a shipping society to be based.
        Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
        Our local newspaper, Tidens Krav, has put up a stream camera in their editorial office....
        I belive this streaming camera is put up to show us all the weather we have here now....
        Brilliant! I could get seriously hooked on this! Looks a bit choppy sea this morning...

Comment

Very nicely composed and executed interior photos of those veterans Sterkoder.

The shots are as beautiful and describing as the boats are beautiful.
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I really love all pictures from the traditional vessels, and particularly the shots taken inside the ships.

Good to hear the news about the new location for the shipping history society. Seems to be where it belongs.

Comment

Seems to be where it belongs.
              It is situated approximately half way between the hurtigrute quay and the Pier (Klippfiskkjerring and sundbåt docking), and so "all" passengers from every southbound hurtigrute will pass our windows on their hasty walk during the short stop of the coastal express.
              As I've noticed, the passengers almost always use their time on land to walk along the quay.
              This is nice, as long as our wish is to "be seen".

Thanks for nice words on my photography of those old boats. The interior was photographed hand held with ISO1600.

Comment

Mellemværft Fartøyvernforening celebrate 10 years in 2012, and has a jubilee gathering of old boats here this week-end.
                Here's TVENDE BRØDRE (Two brothers, in english) sailing in the Sørsundet inlet today

Followed by the nicely restored RS CHRISTIANSUND (interior pictures can be seen further up in this thread)

RS ERIK FARUP crossing our harbour

Sunshine today

The klippfish story of Kristiansund is made into an operetta called Donna Bacalao, playing this week-end at Vikaneset
                http://www.donnabacalao.no/
                Last edited by Sterkoder; September 10th, 2012, 01:34. Reason: Correction of a misspelled boat name

Comment

Many years ago there was a gravel road around Gløsvågen. Now it's only a walk and cycling way, due to the blocking of the old road by the lengthening of our airport eastwards, by a filling of 250.000 m³ rocks.
                  The walkway goes alongside a nature reserve, where I spotted a couple of herons today.

The plateaued filling can be seen in a distance (900 meters)

The other heron

Just a small stream coming down

Comment

Just a couple of trees and an old fence, or at least the remains...

Sludge basins from the airport, made so that no poluted water goes out in the nature reserve below

They promised us that they would rebuild the road to go east of the new filling, so that the population could walk around the lengthened runway. But words are always most important before such a job, so that the citizens would be easier to deal with and more willing to say yes to an otherwise destruction of leisure areas.
                    Do the road go around the eastern end of the runway do you think...? Nope.
                    The road stops here, and we have to walk back.

And on this way back, I took this picture of a small cabin by the water
                    Last edited by Sterkoder; September 9th, 2012, 00:53.

Comment

So fresh-looking I can easily feel the wind in the sails looking at your lovely photos of these boats, and it looks like the weather blest the jubilee gathering. And Donna Bacalao! Always something going on in Kristiansund.
                      I have this thought that someday you’ll be taking a photo across the harbour and suddenly realise there is someone up there on Nordlandet changing the letters!

Nature walk too –always something special about herons. They are sometimes seen here in the Water of Leith too but I never seem to manage an even slightly satisfactory photo. All yours are so lovely that I don’t even have a favourite! I do rather like how the background in #853/1 has white, green, grey and brown “bands” –goodness you not only capture the heron but make a nice general composition too!

Very interesting about the runway. The filled-in plateau as seen in #853/2 fascinates me, as does the sludge basins – I always like things like that. But there’s something so sad about seeing that netting at the end of the road.

Comment

Thanks for inspireing comments there, Cecilia!!!
                        Today we walked along with our daughter to the top of Freikollen (629 meters) as part of a school project.
                        From our car it was straight up for a couple of hours, and when we closed in on the top, it was more like climbing.
                        Anyway, here are some pictures from 629 meters above Kristiansund, and I start with our city senter and harbour looking towards north

Vestbase and the "famous" big blue Sterkoder-building towards north-east

Vestbase, a base where almost 1000 people work. This is just the center part of the base, as it stretches both to the left and right of this picture.

A more detailed picture of the base

A Boeing 737 from Scandinavian is seen on short approach of runway 07 at Kvernberget airport

And seen here after landing. All the work in progress at the airport will give us a brand new one, buildings and parking in 2017. The runway is already lengthened up to 2000 meters effective and opens in October 2012.
                        Last edited by Sterkoder; September 10th, 2012, 07:28.

Comment

Looking south from Freikollen, we see the 996 meters high Reinsfjell, Bergsøy island with the floating bridge to the east and suspention bridge to the west. Down below we see among other things, Frei church.

And finally, looking north again, we see the once smallest community in Norway, Grip and the Grip lighthouse

This concludes our trip to Freikollen this Sunday, a trip taking about 5 hours including an hour at the top with coffee, tea, some sandwiches and some rest...

Comment

WOW Sterkoder, what a viewpoint!!!! It’s like flying!!!!
                            These illustrate so well the utter importance and central-ness of the harbour and the vast extent of Vestbase. Those things I knew of course, but from your photos I have really grasped the layout of the airport for the first time despite having flown in and out from there.

That last image of Grip is superb and surreal –at first the eye is drawn to the dark trees, and enjoys the houses nestling among rocks and trees under a pale blue sky…. and then suddenly sees the lighthouse! What a moment is that.

Comment

Thank you, Cecilia..., glad you enjoyed the pictures!

Here's one panoramic one, taken with my iPhone (hence the quality), where you see the hole city from west to the airport in east.
                              (People having seen this thread before should be familiar with the inlets and other names of this city).

Comment

stunning images Svein.
                                a nice view from high above,it's weird that what is so ,take 5 hours to drive.

a google earth view maybe ,how that road runs.
                                best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                                X