Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Kristiansund

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    Walked along the docks again today, and here's a detail of the port navlight of an old sailing vessel

A nice - and very maritime - composition. I did a similar shot in Oslo some years ago, but that one was filled with frost!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A short period with nice weather in Kristiansund this afternoon gave the following images. Also some skyscapes for our dear scottish friend.

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Finally, a collection of moored ships today, "Stril Orion", "Trollfjord" and the Havila sisters "Havila Mercury" (inner) and "Havila Mars" (outer)

Comment

I’m here!!!! What a fabulous day you’ve had in Kristiansund! Those skies! I love the blues and greys in the first one (#712/1) and the way the light reflects in the foreground roof, the way there are those wispy clouds at the top of the picture in /2, and then in the third image that golden yellow light in sky and sea is simply breathtaking.
          Great views looking towards the bridge too (and even a seagull in that last one! )
          And then in #713 the “panorama” of today’s ships –what a collection. (I wrote panorama in inverted commas because I know you are trimming it that way and it isn’t a camera setting.)
          Surely one of the best from this viewpoint.

Comment

Absolutely wonderful images in your post number 712!

Trollsk atmosphere as we say in Norwegian!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thank you for inspireing comments! Always try my best....

Out of frustration due to my trip with "Nordstjernen" went down the drain today, I drove into town to Narvesen to get myself a photo magazine, and while I was at it, I also took some pictures of some old powerline masts supporting lines from the island of Frei to Kristiansund.

The reason for me taking their pictures now (they've been standing there for almost 50 years) is that the owning company want to take them down and make use of an underground cable instead.
              That mean that this sight will not be there anymore, and 30-40 years ahead, someone might start to ask about pictures of the powerlines.

So, go out there and take pictures of things people will ask for in the future.
              In 30-40 years, I will be 80-90 years old, so it's not that I will be there to present images myself, but it would help if we make our pictures searchable.
              (I'm not exactly a champion at that myself though....).

I hate disturbing lines in my pictures, but here I try to catch them as good as I can

Kvernberget with Kvernberget airport behind

Trying out b/w

So this is where all the herons in the area camp

Comment

That's very thoughtful thinking about taking pictures for future reference. As you say, you'll never know what will be asked for in the future.
                I particularly like the gray appearance in #716/3.

Comment

That is a worthy and fascinating project Sterkoder. Excellent photos.
                  It will be interesting to see if those concrete bases remain after the towers are removed. I was also wondering about what route an underground cable would take compared with the existing power line, and what is the length of the existing line.

Comment

I was also wondering about what route an underground cable would take compared with the existing power line, and what is the length of the existing line.
                    Ooooo...., you hang me on the wall there
                    I simply can't answer that right now.

The main power station at Løkkemyra where these powerlines go will also be closed, so any new line might go to the main power station at Nordlandet.
                    The new line will either cross on the seabed in the sound or maybe in a tube under the Omsundet bridge.
                    On each side of the sound there will be ordinary ground cables.
                    The thing is, the powerstation here at Bjerkestrand and the powerline on the seabed across Freifjorden will also be closed, so where Kristiansund will get its electrical power from...., who knows...

Comment

Ooooo...., you hang me on the wall there
                      I simply can't answer that right now.
                      Well actually you just did give me the answer!…You see I had just been thinking in terms of replacement, overhead to underground cable, and the economics of that given the terrain and so on puzzled me. But now hearing that some power stations will close I can see that the whole transmission and distribution in the area is being re-planned.

Lots of changes ahead for you to keep an eye (and lens!) out for!

Comment

"Fleur De Lampaul" in Kristiansund last Wednesday, waiting for better weather. I belive their flag was french, but one thing I'm sure of is that they are on their way to Tromsø.

Comment

If you remember post #716 in this thread, these are the masts in the other direction, or if you want: behind the camera in the #716 images.

Omsundet bridge, now a part of Kristiansund, earlier connecting Kristiansund and Frei. 281 meters long and opened in April 1940.
                          In this image is also the top of the Kristiansund Airport control tower.

A lightpole on the road over the new Omsundet bridge (opened 1981) with a sign giving info that you're driving into a zone where there's camera controlled speed limit.

(All images, lense: Tamron 18-200mm)

Comment

Interesting subjects, including power lines! In the UK specifically, where most of these structures have this tall tapering shape, folk generally call them pylons, but “in the trade” they are called towers.

Comment

If you remember post #716 in this thread, these are the masts in the other direction, or if you want: behind the camera in the #716 images.

A lightpole on the road over the new Omsundet bridge (opened 1981) with a sign giving info that you're driving into a zone where there's camera controlled speed limit.

(All images, lense: Tamron 18-200mm)
                              Very interesting shots... and all very nicely shot.

I bet you start liking your new camera lens?

That last shot, of the light pole with the camera sign made me laugh as well.... warning, Sterkoder in action!

Comment

The local newspaper has made a 360° view of Kristiansund in the link below.
                                You'll recognice the city and harbour towards west, airport and mountains toward south, the disc of a VOR (ENKB VOR at frequency 113.80 mHz) an aircraft navigational aid and Tustna toward east and naturally Grip on the horizon toward north and the North-Atlantic ocean
                                (Wait until the view loads, then use the arrow knobs to move around, zoom and what not)

Link: http://www.tk.no/billedserier/panora...cle5974430.ece

Comment

Working...
                                X