This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nari View Post
    After 6 visits to Kristiansund on Lofoten, I remember this town seemed to have a special "feeling" about it. Can't explain it in material terms. Gracious is one way of trying....
    Agree! Kristiansund has a special place in my heart too.... great memories from a year at the maritime school there nearly 30 years ago!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

The new manager for Manchester United is from Kristiansund (just saying )
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• nari
        nari commented
        Editing a comment
        My lasting memory of Kristiansund was a group of locals who came down to the wharf just to have a chat with passengers from Lofoten. Never happened in any other port that I recall.

• nari
        nari commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, there you go, being coy...

What is Manchester United?

LOOOOL

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Sterkoder
        Sterkoder commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha, you funny man :-)

It feels like I haven't been outside with my Pentax since long before Christmas 2018, and with just a couple of exceptions, it's in fact true.
      This is due to the bad weather we've had since November.
      Now, today, I felt the need to go out and I brought my Pentax with me and drove into the city.
      For those familiar with Kristiansund, I parked at Kirketomta car park near Festiviteten opera house, walked up to Vanndamman (where we feed birds), then down the main road Langveien, past Kirkelandet church, down Kaibakken, up Hauggata to the viewpoint by the firestation, then walking over to Comfort Grand Hotel, Nordic Light House of Photography and backto my car.
      Without a city chart, it's impossible to follow my route, so here we go:

Looking down Johan P. Clausens street towards the red hospital with the Freikollen mountain (629 meters) in the background
      ​​​​​​IMGP0616 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

One of the three dams in the Vanndamman water system
      ​​​​​​IMGP0620 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

This little red house hold the water pump
      ​​​​​​IMGP0621 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Using the flip LCD-screen of my new Pentax, I don't need to go down on my knees to get low view pictures
      ​​​​​​IMGP0622 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

IMGP0627 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Ice down a rock
      ​​​​​​IMGP0629 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Ice in sunset
      ​​​​​​IMGP0630 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

A peac0ck and some doves
      ​​​​​​IMGP0631 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

• nari
        nari commented
        Editing a comment
        Wonderful photos, Svein! Thanks for sharing.

From the Vanndamman down to the church and Langveien main road. Had to wait to get that flying dove in the picture :-)
      ​​​​​​IMGP0632 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Looks cold to be a bird
      ​​​​​​IMGP0633 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Langveien as seen from Dr. Werrings street. A bit of the church to the right
      ​​​​​​IMGP0636 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Gomalandet as seen from top of Hauggata near the firestation. What really cought my eyes, was all the black funnels on the houses over there. It's quite a lot if you really look for them ;-)
      ​​​​​​IMGP0638 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

A part of Kristiansund since 2008, this is a long exposure of the old car ferry dock at Kvitnes..., not far from my home. The exposure was 1 minute 20 seconds.
      ​​​​​​IMGP0642 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

• nari
        nari commented
        Editing a comment
        This photo of Kristiansund is stunning. It just looks to be sooo.....Norwegian....(joke)

Enjoyed your walk. I liked the sunlight on the buildings in the first image, and also in the view along Langveien. And as I enjoyed visiting Vanndamman it was nice to see that area in wintertime.

Comment

These pictures has a lot of coziness and beingthereness, nice!

Comment

• nari
          nari commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a quick question: I have a 1896 book on how to travel in Norway by Henry Lunn, with an extensive map of Norway towns - thousands of settlements. So, did Christiania become Kristiansund??? Thanks for replying...

• Seagull
          Seagull commented
          Editing a comment
          Tommi - I just realised Nari's question comment, which I answered in a new post, was attached to your post ...though I imagine she intended it for Sterkoder anyway! Stll, there's always scope for you to bring Sweden into the discussion! ...Isn't Kristianstad also a King Christian IV name? If so Kristiansund is starting to look like the exception.

• Sterkoder
          Sterkoder commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, Tommi.
          And I'm happy to say I love your new word, which I will use whenever appropriate; beingthereness. Nice!

Nari , although I'm so hopeless at learning foreign languages, I've always been fascinated by the derivation and meaning of placenames.

Christiana was a former name for today's Oslo from the time of King Christian IV of Denmark and also of Norway, which was which was then united with Denmark.
        (Actually the name Oslo already existed for the medieval city. Christian IV relocated his city nearer Akershus fortress following a fire. The city expanded from there, eventually taking in the original location as a suburb, and the whole reverting to the name Oslo in the early 1920s.)

As a result of linguistic spelling reform, the Ch of Christiania had become K. This spelling change also happened to other placenames like Kristiansand and Kristiansund

Kristiansand had been founded by that same king, Christian IV, but if I remember correctly, Kristiansund was named after a later king Christian VI. Is that right, Sterkoder?
        Last edited by Seagull; January 24th, 2019, 11:20.

Comment

• wherrygirl
          wherrygirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Svein, I just love your little explanation of the derivation of the name Quart Festival. Like Cecilia, I enjoy learning about the derivation of place names. Also, in my case, the derivation of words themselves,.usually involving brief trips into other languages, so many of which have been absorbed into English.

• nari
          nari commented
          Editing a comment
          Seagull, I did some homework and I read that Christiania became Oslo. I am very sure that is not right....!.. or am I?

• Seagull
          Seagull commented
          Editing a comment
          Nari - I don't think I can manage to explain this much better than I attempted in the second paragraph of post #1613.
          Christiania had expanded to include the original location of medieval Oslo. And subsequently, in 1925, the whole city reverted to the name Oslo.

Wonderful additions Sterkoder - glad you got yourself out to find some inspiration. Fresh snow can be great in photos, I have a tendency to like winter images taken with great zoom. It makes the snow look more "dense"... if you understand what I mean.

Comment

• Sterkoder
          Sterkoder commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I see what you mean.
          I have some kind of a feeling that Kristiansund photographed with a 18-135mm or 28-105mm is over photographed.
          Need to find new ways to see the city, so I have thoughts about going more into details with my 28-105mm, to use my new 150-450mm more and to go deeper into long exposure. Have to wait and see what 2019 gives :-)

Last week-end, when visiting my daughter in Trondheim...., a big magnet kind of pulled me towards Munkegata 32.
        So, what's in Munkegata 32? Japan Photo (say no more).
        Well, I needed a bit more space on my bank account, so I purchased the LEE Filters system, with the adapter ring, filter holder, two neutral density grad (soft and hard) filters and the LEE Big Stopper.
        All of this make it possible for me to take long exposure pictures, a thing I've wanted to do for a long time. Here are my first two.

Sørsundet inlet and Thon Hotel to the left
        ​​​​​​IMGP0731 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

From the area near Thon Hotel, we see over to the Pier and MS Nordstjernen in the distance.
        ​​​​​​IMGP0733 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

• nari
          nari commented
          Editing a comment
          Lovely feeling about these photos, Svein. Not sure what it is, but you being Norwegian by birth and keen on nautical stuff....enough said.

Thank you, nari!

Out with my Pentax and LEE Filters again today.
        To find motifs suitable for long exposures and the rigging of camera and filters, is so time consuming that I come home with just a handful of images now.
        But then again, I enjoy myself because this is photography.

For you familiar with the different "lands" of Kristiansund, I'm now at Gomalandet, taking a long exposure picture via Little Nordsundet towards Kirkelandet and the city center
        ​​​​​​IMGP0743 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

One zoomed in picture as the HSC "Terningen" depart for Trondheim
        ​​​​​​IMGP0747 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

A two minutes exposure of Gjemnessundet suspention bridge towards Bergsøy island
        ​​​​​​IMGP0749 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

A four minutes exposure with Reinsfjellet mountain (994 meters) in the middle of the frame.
        (And if I had Lightroom installed, I could've masked those foreground rocks and reduced the shadow, yes thank you, I know :-) )
        ​​​​IMGP0750 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Moved under and to the left side of the bridge. The bridge goes over to Bergsøy island (if anyone use Google Maps)
        ​​​​​​IMGP0751 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Details from a shed beside me when I took the first pictures, from Gomalandet.
        IMGP0738 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

This proves that one can be lucky (because I didn't plan it) to catch a beam of sunlight at the right time. It only lit up the motif for one single minute.
        ​​​​​​IMGP0739 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr
        Last edited by Sterkoder; February 4th, 2019, 09:40.

Comment

• nari
          nari commented
          Editing a comment
          Love those calm photos....emphasising the artful bridges that Norway is so bloomin' good at building. Oh and by the way, I am returning to Norway on the 25 March and this time (on Lofoten of course - no other ships will do....I will try and spend more time at Kristiansund as it has a particular pride.

Beautiful images taken with filters, to get that flowing feeling of water and skies... and yes, I do know how time consuming it is to set everything up!

I haven't used my filters for years.... they are comfortably stored away in a photo bag.

Comment

If I may, here are two images taken last year from an area someone here are surely familiar with:

2018_05_31 MAVIC PRO-Haried-Gursken-Ulsteinvik-DJI_0377 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_05_31 MAVIC PRO-Haried-Gursken-Ulsteinvik-DJI_0379 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Like your drone pictures from Krifast and Gjemnessundet suspention bridge.
            They add to the inspiration to go out and fly my own drone, in close to zero wind and no rain :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
              Like your drone pictures from Krifast and Gjemnessundet suspention bridge.
              They add to the inspiration to go out and fly my own drone, in close to zero wind and no rain :-)
              Everything looks so wonderful from above. You should. That's it.

Comment

Working...
              X