Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crowded around the Pier
    ​​​​​​SSL25261 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

It's traditional for the "russ" President to make a speech from the City Hall balcony. The President of the "russ" is elected to hold his/her position from 1st May until midnight 17th May, and as he ended his speech today, he had an advice for the US President Trump: -"Do as I do tonight, resign!" (Good point..., good point)
    ​​​​​​SSL25288 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Father and daughter, or to put it in another way, old 'Sterkoder' and young Vilde, who's fortunate enough to have been accepted as a two-year student to become a photographer at the Norwegian School of Photography in Trondheim. (Need I say I'm proud?) :-)
    IMG_3235 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• Tommi
      Tommi commented
      Editing a comment
      It's always interesting with different traditions in different countries. Here in Sweden the students usually just does a lot of things. while in Finland it seems to be popular with party trips, and then we naturally have the Norwegian "russ" tradition.
      Would have been interesting to see some old picture of Mr. Ludvigsen from back of those days?! :-)

• Sterkoder
      Sterkoder commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, there are no pictures of me as a "russ" because I was none ;-)
      I have the required years in school, but one here and one there...., not recommended for the young ones of today.
      But I might find a picture of me as a pilot student in Florida back in 1987, that might be the closest I got :-)

At the time of my first 40 hours of flying in 1983
      sl1983 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

As a commercial pilot student at FlightSafety Academy in Vero Beach, Florida back in 1987

First, study
      Bilde (21) by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Then, relax
      Bilde (20) by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

• Tommi
      Tommi commented
      Editing a comment
      That's very much 80's nostalgia! Thank you for sharing! :-)

Oh, almost forgot the local fire brigade veteran group, as they provided one of the old firetrucks which actually served in Kristiansund way back
    ​​​​​​IMG_3237 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

And the very beginning of the 17th May parade, where there are two policemen or women walking. This year we see there are two female police officers, then comes the scouts with the parade of flags
    ​​​​​​IMG_3238 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Wonderful and happy atmosphere in one of my absolutely favourite places in Norway - Kristiansund.

The weather this year was absolutely perfect - this was really one of the days we will remember for a long time. I wish I didn't have to work that day, but the overtime extra-pay makes it OK.

Thanks for sharing that memory from flight school... I guess Don Johnson and Miami Vice was popular back then? You haven't aged a day since then.... easy to see that it was you!
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Sterkoder
        Sterkoder commented
        Editing a comment
        You're too kind, thanks :-) Yes, Miami Vice was the top tv series here back then.

For those of you who remember, we've talked quite a lot (or I have) about the Tahiti music festival in Kristiansund early in this thread.
      Yesterday the Tahitifestivalen 2018 started and what do you know, the local newspaper took pictures of some of the music lovers on the first evening of the festival.
      I had a ticket to the concert of the Danish band The Savage Rose. (What a firework she is, the 69-years old Annisette Koppel, the singer).
      'Sterkoder' to the left, if anyone wonder18DAG_01-01-_DSC6585 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Here's a view of the area, with a black leather clothed man to the right of the scene taking pictures with his iPhone. The Savage Rose deserved more people for sure, the best performance in years
      ​​​​​​18DAG_01-01-_DSC6623_1 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Great seeing a familiar local reporter out tasting the local culture (and whatever may have been in that cup)!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Seagull
          Seagull commented
          Editing a comment
          Second that paks! And dear Big S, just let us know if there is ever some K'sund Local Ambassador/ Civic award thing ...I'm forever all poised to Vote Big S

Dear C: about your thoughts around a civic/ambassador award, thank you. It's the thought that counts

Now, are you all up for some additional pictures from Kristiansund, depicting city life, not so much boats and ships that you could expect from here.
        Had the most beautiful summer weather and temperature yesterday, so since I had full control at work, I thought: our lives are so very short, why not enjoy here and now? So I grabbed my Pentax and had a late and slightly longer lunch than usual and here we go.

I parked by the old but refurbished music pavillion
        SSL26421 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Then walked on top of the 'Byfossen' (city water fall, as is known from our city shield) wondering: will this be the view for ever, or will the planned opera- and culture house be built across the street there?
        Gangway over the waterfall in the lower left corner.
        SSL26424 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Looking up the Langveien street, the main street into and out of the city center. Brazilian inspired Boteco Restaurant on the corner of the building towards the lower right hand corner (recommended!)
        SSL26426 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Being an area in front of the local bank, Sparebank1 Nordvest, with not too good looking flowerbeds (is that a word?) and red-orange brick paths and stairs, the hole area got a brush-up after a water leak and repair. Here some volunteers from Freimarkas Venner (a group of volunteers keeping the recreational areas at island Frei in ship shape condition) roll out patches of green grass, ready to be stepped on in 14 days.
        They rolled out 600 square meters all in all.
        SSL26425 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Kongens Plass square, with the restaurant Black Sheep. It's where we all buy our soft-ice in the summer
        SSL26429 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

As everywhere else, we also got Burger King in the city (Chineese Restaurant on the second floor)
        SSL26430 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

The old building originally housing the main Post Office and Telegraph. Now a consulting firm has its main office there
        SSL26432 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Then I walked down to the staircase on the north side of the City Hall and took a picture of the Rådhusplassen (City Hall square).
        Strawberries, flowers and sausages, smoked, cured, salami and all kinds were up for sale this day.
        They say strawberries from Stordal are the best, but have they really tasted strawberries from island Frei? Don't think so. "Freibær" (Freiberry), as we say, and custard..., wow!
        SSL26434 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Went down and asked the local gardener (from Frei, in fact) if I could take his picture with all the nice colors. There's never a no from a smiling man handling flowers.
          SSL26439 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

View towards the Pier from behind the gardener
          SSL26437 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

While I was on that square, I took a picture of the new Sterkoder-sign put up on the wall just a couple of weeks ago. Always happy they decide to keep the name even though the ship yard is long gone.
          Umoe Sterkoder is more of a real estate company now, in Kristiansund anyway.
          The bridge is Nordsundet bridge, and we see a Concord mobile home driving towards the city on top of it.
          SSL26444 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Then the former SAR-vessel Hagbart Waage returned from the first roundtrip to island Grip 16 km out in the ocean north of Kristiansund
          SSL26436 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

The yellow building is the former ship trade store (skipshandel) Jonas Eriksen AS, a term or conception here in Kristiansund.
          The building has just been refurbished to hold municipal offices and a public municipal service office on the ground floor and the hole building is connected, or will soon be, with the City Hall.
          Have to tell you about that square of colors on the left side of the picture;
          The houses in Kristiansund has always been known, nationwide, to be very colorful. We were (or still is) The Polychrome City. As elsewhere in Norway, as the trend goes, the owners of houses tend to paint their houses in all shades of grey, and other 'greyish' "colors". Then the city sent out a group of architect students who would try to find the old colors on houses, all over town. They found the old colors of the city, and the result is that colored square there, which the people of the city can use as a guide to what color they should paint their houses with, when ever they refurbish or build a new house.
          Not mandatory, of course, but a nice little detail to make the city colorful again.
          The nice looking white boat there, Skalmen, is one of Holberg Shipping AS charter boats.
          SSL26441 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Owner and captain of Hagbart Waage in blue piquet shirt over there
          SSL26448 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Some came back, some embarking for the second roundtrip of the day (10:30 and 14:30 on week days in high season, 14:00 on Sundays)
          SSL26446 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Info about the trip to Grip
          SSL26449 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Sundbåt Angvik sailed the route yesterday (Kirkelandet (where I'm at here), Innlandet (with the Tahiti-festival), Nordlandet (with the Hollywood-sign, Stormvarselet and airport), Gomalandet (with Atlanten camping, Arena Nordwest (where we had Sting and Shaggy visiting a week ago) and back to Kirkelandet.
            SSL26443 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Then we have a group of people (bless them!) who takes care of our old sundbåt Rapp. Built in 1958 at a small yard at Rensvik in the small strait between Kristiansund (Nordlandet) and Frei (where I live).
            Only last week-end, July 8th, they sailed into Bøfjorden south east of Kristiansund to pick up the original liferaft from Rapp, as it was on the cabin roof in 1958.
            It's amazing, but some good soul had in fact collected and taken care of even that. Rapp will soon be complete and appear like it did in 1958. The raft is on the roof there, just a little faded in the yellow color.
            SSL26450 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Don't know if this is a one piece only or a series production, but they even has a Rapp caps. Nice :-)
            SSL26451 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

While in the Pier area, I took a picture of the sculpture "Sildegutten" (herring boy). Every little boy in the city picket herring falling from the fishing boats (Kristiansund has a history with herring, Google ;-) ), put the herring on wires and walked around selling each fish for 10 to 25 øre (1 krone (NOK) is 100 øre). 1 NOK today is the equivalent of £ 0,09 :-)
            Everybody takes their pictures from the face side, but I wonder what that little boy see from where he stands. Look for yourself ;-)
            SSL26454 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

On my way up the staircase between AMFI shopping mall and Thon Hotell Storgata, I spotted a bundle of compressed cardboard boxes from a grocery store inside. Nice colors in the sunlight, I thought
            SSL26455 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Then there is work in progress to transfer a city street to a square in front of Quality Grand Hotel.
            SSL26457 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

On my way back to the car, I passed one of the most famous trees in the city. It has grown together with Folkets Hus and has been so ever since long before my time
            SSL26460 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

From another angle, with the Byfossen (city waterfall) in the background across Langveien street
            SSL26461 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Finally, Byfossen at shutter 1/6th of a second and aperture f.22, hand held, almost.
              SSL26463 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Last picture before getting into my car again, city doves on the lawn and we're looking north up Langveien street
              SSL26465 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

A good decision to spend a few moments of the day in the city. Nice pictures in general, extra creative points goes to the cardboard boxes!

Comment

• Sterkoder
                  Sterkoder commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you, Tommi.
                  Nice to kind of escape into the "photography bubble" every now and then.
                  Yes, the cardboard boxes. I saw them when I was half way up the stairs between AMFI shopping mall and Thon Hotel Storgata, walked down again and took the picture :-)

Ahhhh.... summer in Baillsund - nothing beats THAT feeling near to the ocean and in shelter between those islands.

I'm so pleased to see that the refurbished music-pavilion has not yet been a target for taggers! YAY!

Comment

Dear Big S!
                  Yes that echoes a very nice and appreciated sentiment at the start of #1587 (which has also given me a tiny idea for future maybe). For now, I just want to say I love these latest long-lunch-break impressions and cityscapes. Fortunately for busy inarticulate me, Tommi and pakarang have already read my thoughts and shared them in comments. So I just need to add some additional jottings.
                  #1599/3 ...Big S forever
                  #1588/4 ...boat to Grip where I still have'’t been (and Ralf has now beaten me there!)
                  #1588/5 ...coloured squares, colours for buildings

Plus ...I have a favourite! It’s #1589/4. The herring boy's point of view. That really fires my imagination - maybe he takes a walk into the square when we're not looking. Pakaring pleased me with something similar in Trondheim a while ago when The Last Viking seemed to be considering a stroll from Ravnkloa along Munkegata.

Comment

• pakarang
                    pakarang commented
                    Editing a comment
                    PS: I've been to GRIP too, before you Lady C, with that very boat!

Thought I just had to mention it. LOOOOL

• Seagull
                    Seagull commented
                    Editing a comment
                    awww such an adorably sweet comment! Of course you've been to Grip!
                    ...and of course there's a seagull with the memory of an elephant who remembered that and specially liked some photos which made her want to go there someday.

PS It was on your 2014 Summer Escape
                    Thought I just had to mention it. LOOOOL

• Ralf__
                    Ralf__ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ...and i have not! We talked about that, but decided to spend that sum of money for something else and i guess, Svein was a little bit disappointed about that, i think he was looking for a reason to go there again and as a guide that would have been a good opportunity. As soon as we will have uploaded our pictures on the computer, we will anyway add a few pictures of that famous ship Hagbart Waage, which just came back, when we left K'sund aboard Finnmarken. Such a delightful walk - and yes i remember all places! We have been everywhere in K'sund, except on Grip!

P&O Cruises visited Kristiansund today with their ARCADIA. I took a walk around in the city in heavy rain with my weather-sealed Pentax, and here we go
                  ​​​​​​SSL26871 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​SSL26873 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​SSL26877 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​SSL26882 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

A guy opened up a taco caravan at the city square.
                  ​​​​​​SSL26868 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Each summer we have a theatre here for kids about the sundbåt Syver and his friend Beatrice, the city bus. When the theatre is playing, Syver is sundbåt RAPP and they paint up a small city bus in pink.
                  The play has resulted in a handful of childrens books over the years. Syver is in for repairs, that's why he's not in the picture.
                  ​​​​​​SSL26878 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Kristiansund has always been known as the polychrome city, as houses were painted in many different colors. In modern time, the last 10 years, it seems like all want to paint their houses in any kind of grey.
                  Many think that is rather dull, and the municipality dept. for houses and buildings went out to find out what colors houses in Kristiansund had before they turned grey.
                  The colors they found is presented on this large board, and it is ment as a suggestion to what colors house owners can choose, if they want to.
                  SSL26870 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

ARCADIA stands tall among the houses
                  ​​​​​​SSL26886 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Kristiansund became one of my favourite Norwegian towns after I spent time examining its tidy streets, its colours and the fact that the locals wandered down to the gates at the wharf and talked with us as we waited for Lofoten to sail. I will never forget "the town on the ancient rock" which burped itself up from the Atlantic seabed (at some stage....)

Comment

Nice collection on images both from the city, and the Arcadia as well. The ship came to Trondheim yesterday, but I only got a few shots from Tresfjord!

Comment

Working...
                      X