No announcement yet.

This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really stupid.... as soon as I hit save on that previous post, I realized I had saved an article previously about that blue-light problem:

Basically LED lighting mix Red, Green and Blue LEDs to get almost any color.

White for example is RGB in equal proportions.

There is a tendency to use blue and red LEDs to get magenta - which is attractive and quite flattering - so it is more and more popular.

Although the combination is magenta to our eyes - it is in reality made up with red and blue light -
    this makes a difference to photography/cameras -
    as the resultant light is actually red and blue and pretty narrow wavelength/spectrum band too.

This makes any white balance very difficult in-camera or post-processing since the light really only has red and blue components (and little or no green) - shooting RAW unfortunately does not help since the original image lacks green in the spectrum - so it is almost impossible to get a white balance to get correct flesh/skin tones.

Not only that red and blue and very difficult for JPG to store/display -
    so one loses details in those magenta areas -
    so what may have looked sharp in the image when saved to JPG could end up looking soft or even seemingly out of focus.

Read more at: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6...#ixzz4U3EDCzYL
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I can't tell how many times a hurricane (63 knots +) reach Norway, but more and more over the years.
      We usually have the meteorologists purchase an extreme weather warning two to five times during the winter season.
      When I say 'hurricane' I really mean what we call 'orkan' over here, as I said bove, with a middle wind of 63 knots or more (32,6 meters/second).
      The Norwegian word 'orkan' comes of the Spanish word huracán.

Thanks for the explanation of the blue light and burned out appearance in pictures. Never liked them and don't know why they became popular on ships and boats a few years back.

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

And the worst thing about these blue lights, is that they are now also being used on non-passenger ships also... I've seen a LOT of cargo ships with that irritating blue light. It was a cool look at first, but now, I'm no longer a big a fan of the lights. To be honest, I sometimes switch them off on the K... they do blind my night vision in certain conditions.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Tommi
          Tommi commented
          Editing a comment
          I've also seen that as a bit of a problem.
          It might have something to do with the fact that the human eye is quite unsensitive to blue light, which means that the light needs to be more intense when used by humans. The cameras obviously are more sensitive, which in combination with the sensor color filter characteristics tends to result in overexposed images in blue light.

Serkoder - your town:

Comment

Finally, three images - showing "locals", the VIKING AVANT, and finally, a former rescue vessel:

Comment

• Tommi
            Tommi commented
            Editing a comment
            Quite interesting how different your pictures are compared to Sterkoders from the same town.

I'm happy to see any other picture from Kristiansund than my own Thanks, J-O

You know, Tommi, since I live here..., I struggle to find motifs or to look at old ones in a different way. One of the photographers here said last night; "I belive I will put my camera on the shelf for a while, since I belive both me and my camera need a break".
          I'm not there yet, and has discovered night photography again, so I think it will be a long while before I put my Pentax anywhere else than between my hands I might also do something about "detail photography"...., as in details in the city scene, details in architechture, details in streets or whatever. We'll see

Comment

Thank you very much both of you!

I have a full understanding of what Sterkoder means... in the places we live, it is always much more hard to find "new" and different motifs for photography. I have the same problem with Trondheim.... I'm very close to stop sharing more images from Trondheim, because I really feel the audience has gotten way beyond tired looking at Trondheim over and over again. Especially hard during winter when everything is and feels grey and colorless, and since I do not like cold, nighttime photography has not been on top of my prioroty lists as of the moment.

Keep it up, Sir Sterkoder... that is all I can say. You do have a keen audience and you have a wonderful way of showing us your city's charm.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
              ....because I really feel the audience has gotten way beyond tired looking at Trondheim over and over again....
              That is SO not the case, Jan-Olav, and it's not only me who loves that thread. Read what Bengt has written there:-
              http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...571#post203571

Comment

• nari
                nari commented
                Editing a comment
                I always regarded Trondheim (over 5 round voyages) as a rather large, crowded and complex city without much going for it.
                But those photos have changed my mind and I guess there was never much time to lazily explore the city around the harbour, so I unfairly judged
                its nuances.

• Seagull
                Seagull commented
                Editing a comment
                That is understandable Nari. Trondheim seems to turn its back to the fjord in a way, whereas Kristiansund has the harbour at its very heart in the middle of the city's constituent islands.
                Most of my 'hurtigruting' has not been round trips but port-to-port, often starting or ending in Trondheim with extended hotel stays. I got to know Trondheim better, and even have photos in a Trondheim as seen by Seagull thread! :- http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...agull#post1143

• nari
                nari commented
                Editing a comment
                Very atmospheric photos, Seagull. Eight years old and nicely captured by what can sometimes be an unforgiving lens. However, after 5 voyages, my favourite town is still Honningsvag.....size does matter sometimes.

Beautiful sunset as seen from Nordlandet towards Sørsundet a couple of evenings ago

Tried to get a picture of POLARLYS as she passed on her way southbound, but there was some headlight from the sunset and the background, Averøy, was just as dark as the hurtigrute, so...

When driving home, I discovered some rear clouds over the city; Cirrus Kelvin-Helmholtz. They appear when two layers of air move in different direction or in the same direction, but in uneven speed. This create vortexes around Cirrus clouds, and then you have the corckscrew formation. It's very rear, according to meteorologists, and appear only a couple of times a year and then only for a few minutes.

Comment

• Ralf__
                Ralf__ commented
                Editing a comment
                Fascinating!!! I have never seen this before...

• wherrygirl
                wherrygirl commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree, Ralf. I've never heard of this formation before. If I saw something like this in reality I would begin to think someone had slipped something into my orange juice! Thanks for the explanation, Svein.

• Tommi
                Tommi commented
                Editing a comment
                Warm nice and cozy colors!

I have seen them before a few times but not in such a long trail. They tend to make one think: this has to be photoshopped - but no, they are very real.

Comment

Beautiful evening and sunset photos... the clouds are truly strange... don't think I have ever seen anything like that myself.

With airpressure at 1050hPa here in the Trondheimsfjord, nights have been unusualy clear and stars have been bright.... spectacular time of the year.

Comment

Thank you all for your comments. Yes, the Kelvin-Helmholtz clouds are for real and rather stunning to watch in real life. I agree to what you say about the time of the year and how spectacular it is..., in the middle of the winter. I would call it spring. Anyway, I enjoy every day the snow is absent

Comment

AMEN!

Even though we don't have snow like we had in our childhood, I do not miss it.... as I get "older", I just can handle the snow, winter and dark, colorless forest any longer.

Comment

• Sterkoder
                      Sterkoder commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Totally agree with you there, Jan-Olav. And I suspect you mean CAN'T ?

OOOPPS.... seems like the " 't " disappeared...

Off course, as you guessed, I can't stand winter or anything associated with the season.

Comment

As Nautica visited Kristiansund this Sunday, many of the passengers booked a place on board the old SAR-vessel Hagbart Waage, now a charter boat operating in the route between Kristiansund and island Grip. In that green kiosk there, we find the Grip-boat ticket office and Kristiansund and Nordmøre Tourist info.
                      SSL21953 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

I suspect this is a nice place to live. Unlimited view to Sørsundet and the west part of the harbour, and the police station wall-to-wall
                      SSL21941 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X