No announcement yet.

This is Kristiansund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great weather clouds! I would be a little bit frightened aboard a vessel heading towards this black wall...
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• nari
      nari commented
      Editing a comment
      A ferry 140 years old is quite something! The best I managed was on a 120 year old little ship which does the tourist and supplies run every day down Trevor Sound from Port Alberni on the west coast of Vancouver Island to the western ports on the island. Wonderful trip. Perfect weather. This was in (2005) so the Lady Rose is now 131 years old. Your cloud photo is splendiferous.

Before anything else is said: Congratulations on your page number 100 in this thread! Well done, Sterkoder!

I went back a bit in this thread last night, and on previous page where you pictured the porpoise.... it first reminded me of a scene from the movie ALIEN.

Kristiansund is an amazing city which it always feels to return to, and since I'm not there that often, it is nice to see your images from around the city. I remember Karorline cinema from the time I lived in your city... it is cool that they painted it in colorful new way, instead of the truly dull grey color.

Keep it up Sir Sterkoder - I know it is truly hard to find new motifs in your own area, I struggle with the same every single day too.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thank you for nice comments :-)

Yesterday I took only three pictures, from the south side of Nordlandet in Kristiansund towards a warehouse at Innlandet and Averøy behind a most beautiful shower of rain in the sunset.

From the west side of Nordlandet toward Sørsundet bridge
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• Tommi
        Tommi commented
        Editing a comment
        Moody indeed, but very tricky to photograph!

Our Captain told me to keep my night-time photography up, so here are seven from tonight, Sunday 11. December 2016
      My daughter and me took a few piuctures at The Pier in the middle of Kristiansund tonight, after visiting my father, her grandfather (obviously).
      The camera settings altered between 5 and 30 seconds in shutter speed, an aperture of f/5,6 and ISO 100 on a tripod with a remote control and mirror up function.

Sundbåt ferry FRAMNAES

From The Pier we see towards main street Kaibakken and the café/restaurant Havnekontoret in the left part of the frame

Sundbåt toy named SYVER for the kids

From The Pier

Nordlandet church from 1914. This is "my" church

Statue of a boy with a collection of herring, which the boys sold for a quarter back in the old days

Sundbåt ferry FRAMNAES and the 1958-built sundbåt RAPP moored by The Pier
      Last edited by Sterkoder; December 12th, 2016, 01:07.

Comment

Very moodful nightly views. I just imagine the look of Northbound Richard With arriving later on. But i bet that was too late to wait for.
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• Sterkoder
          Sterkoder commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, RW would not arrive in over three hours when we were at The Pier.
          But hadn't we made a dinner appointment and if we had more clothes on in the icy wind, no one knows what could happen in terms of photography. Thanks for the comment :-)
          Then again, I wonder how RW would appear with the aperture and shutter speeds I used yesterday.
          A set of long rays of light I would guess. Moving objects in darkness is something I struggle with.

• Tommi
          Tommi commented
          Editing a comment
          Just try to keep shutter speeds below 1/125sec... :-)
          Actually, I've done quite much tripod photos lately. It brings quite much more clarity to the pictures. But I'm still doing a lot of those "evening walk with ISO 25600"-things.

Tip: #1494:6 use a flashlight to lighten up the boy. Either his front side, or silhuette. Or a loose manual camera flash.

• Sterkoder
          Sterkoder commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the tips, Tommi.
          Did not have a flashlight yesterday, as this was an unprepared photo session on our way home from visiting my dad.
          That said, I don't have a functional flashlight for the purpose, and my which is that I can purshase one or two RotoLights in the future.
          But they are quite expensive. (Take a look at YouTube and search for "the king of RotoLight, photographer Jason Lanier ;-) ).

WAOW.... 1493 is absolutely awesome! What an amazing mood, and what an amazing light you managed to capture!

The night shots are really awesome... the sad part though is that I notice the downtown streets being rather "empty" for people... I guess they are all out shopping at Futura or another mall instead of walking the steep street up from the harbour. Keep it up, Sterkoder... you live in an amazing city that deserves to be shared with the world!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Sterkoder
          Sterkoder commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you so much for nice comments, Jan-Olav.

The reason for the emty streets, I must say, is that the pictures were taken on a Sunday evening. And that suited me perfect because I did not want red and white lights from cars up and down Kaibakken during just these long exposures ;-)

• Sterkoder
          Sterkoder commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you so much for nice comments, Jan-Olav.

The reason for the emty streets, I must say, is that the pictures were taken on a Sunday evening. And that suited me perfect because I did not want red and white lights from cars up and down Kaibakken during just these long exposures ;-)

Went up to the city salute cannons at the top of Innlandet island in Kristiansund. The tradition is that the city place a large christmas star up here each christmas, and have done so for all the years I can remember.

The port authorities are lighting their building up in red christmas colour

Tried to follow Tommis advice of lighting up part of my motif with a flashlight, but since this was also a spontanious trip, I only had the light from my mobile phone to light up the cannon.
        We see towards east and the airport area

"My" church, Nordlandet church built and opened in 1914.

Comment

Very nice star, and the blue of the sky is so neat...

Don't forget your flashlight next time....

Comment

Yes, I would need to pack a good powerful flashlight now, as these night time photoshoots are starting to get more common than taking pictures in daylight

Comment

• Tommi
              Tommi commented
              Editing a comment
              Might be due to the dark season of year? :-)

Yesterday it was downpouren mit katzen und hunden (raining heavily), but as I have a waterproof and weathersealed Pentax, why stay inside?
            A couple of pictures a couple of kilometers away from my home, near the old ferry dock at Kvalvåg where they have a harbour for small pleasure crafts now

Then I drove to Kvernberget airport to take a few pictures of SK2308 leaving for Oslo. This is a Boeing 737-705, LN-TUF, built at Renton for former Norwegian airline Braathens S.A.F.E in march 1999.

Ready to start engines, but by this time, my Pentax looked like it was picked up from a bucket of water, so I figured it was time to go back home. Hope you'all enjoyed my rainy pictures:-)

Comment

"mit katzen und hunden". Ah, we say the same, Svein - cats and dogs. I must try and find out where this came from, there'll be a Google answer somewhere!
              I love that second image.
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• Ralf__
                Ralf__ commented
                Editing a comment
                I found something:
                This saying seems to be original from the English language.
                There are several theories.
                The first is from the greek word »catadupe«, which means waterfall. This could explain the assonance to cat.
                The second (in my opinion best) is from the latin word »cata doxas« or greek word „kata doksa“, which means "contrary to experience" ore "more, you can imagine".
                There are much more, but these are quite strange and i won't list them up here.

• wherrygirl
                wherrygirl commented
                Editing a comment
                Ralf, you have come up with something good. That explanation seems very reasonable, doesn't it? It is remarkable how words are adopted from one language to another - often the Greek or Latin - and in the process are changed beyond all recognition.

According to one site, a possible explanation could be from old Norse mythology; cats and dogs would get up on the grassy roofs of houses to keep warm and safe. when it rained they all fell off the slopes. I am not sure that cats and dogs would be content sitting together in the one place, however.......

Comment

Really loved the rainy shots, and especially the SAS pictures in particular. The waterdrops on the tree in the last image almost looks like Christmas lights.

Comment

Had to go out to buy some more coffee today and of course, brought my Pentax with me. A few pictures here, the rest devided between the helicopter- and MS Lofoten threads.

The lights in the sky is not a too late Santa, but the Sea King helio landing at the hospital helipad

LOFOTEN moored, and anchored, while the "Hollywood"-sign say Merry Christmas with the Stormvarselet (storm warning) sending out the light signal for hurricane from north-west in the background

Last picture before I sat myself into my car again, soaked.

Comment

• nari
                    nari commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm rather glad you ventured out to buy coffee; I enjoyed those photos; Lofoten is looking rather daggy around her bow again......how often do hurricanes head towards Norway? I would not mind being "stuck" in Kristiansund - a lovely town.

• yvneac
                    yvneac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Atmospheric photos from the beloved North.Thank you.

Very nice indeed, Sir Sterkoder.

I think I have read it somewhere, sometime in the past... but why is it that blue lights often looks "washed" out in digital photographs?

I see the same in pictures where the lights of K upper deck is visible.

Wasn't it because of the lights frequenzy?

Comment

Working...
                  X