No announcement yet.

Sterkoders 24 hours on board MS FINNMARKEN - Kristiansund to Bergen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic photos, Svein, i have really enjoyed looking through them. I especially like some of the angles you find to take the photos - I love the framed view of the first photo in post one, and then the 3rd photo in post 4 where you are entering Ytre Steinsund, the individually framed images when you look along the walk way. I also really like the angled shots of the ships bridge, i find those very interesting. You are always very good at choosing the correct angle for shots like those.
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Steve, you inspire me much with your constructive comments! Thank you!!!
      You're likeing of my "framed" images gives me yet another possibility to mention where I picked up that tips; photographer Tom Ang from Singapore :-)
      If you have a flat and not too interesting motif..., try to "frame" the motif with parts of what you have closer to you, in example a ship structure.
      Done it a few times since I saw his tips, and it works for me...
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• Steve.B
        Steve.B commented
        Editing a comment
        Tom Ang certainly gave you good advice, and it most certainly works very well for you. Or rather, you are very good at making it work for you. A brilliant way to turn a 'not so interesting' shot, into a very interesting shot. Another very interesting photo for me is pic 4 in post 5. A simple, well proportioned photo that is full of interest - the details on the bridge wing, the fact that you can see through the tinted glass to the water beyond, the silhouettes of things inside the bridge itself, and the reflections from the upward viewing windows. That coupled with a moody looking sky and the scene beyond, really make that a very interesting image for me. very nice work.

Hi, Sterkoder;
      how funny, when you entered Finnmarken in Kristiansund Friday Oct 4th, I was standing on Deck 5, having travelled with Finnmarken from Harstad with a friend. My "end station" was Molde, where I had parked my car, so I was busy packing my gear and my suitcase to get off the boat. Therefore I didn't notice you. Sorry. As we entered the harbour, I had the thought "this is Sterkoders city", but I didn't dream of You actually were on board.
      As I understand from your thread, You had a great trip. So had I. You can have a look at my Facebook wall to see a short picture report from the cruise Molde - Harstad (Midnatsol) - Molde (Finnmarken). We had all sorts of weather, from gale to sunshine. These are the last pictures I took before I packed my camera away.

Regards; Sigve.
      ---
      IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Wow! A small world..., as they say!
        Well, from my images here, you see where I was located from we left the quay to a couple of hours out; deck 8 :-)
        Yes, Kristiansund has become "Sterkoder City" on CVF and I feel honored by people thinking of me when visiting, but had to smile when I read your post and saw you used the capital letter Y in you, just like you do in God (haha).
        Jokes aside, we must have pressed the buttons on our cameras simultaneously when taking our pictures of HAVILA JUPITER.
        I will look into your pictures, and say that from sailing in to Molde and a bit after Molde, we sat at the dinner table.
        Thanks for posting your pictures here, and I must say, I remember some of the passengers from the bow deck and even remember a couple from Flesland airport on Sunday :-)

EDIT: Can't see more than 1 picture if I'm not your Facebook-friend, so I sent a request :-)

Comment

FB friendship granted!
          Speaking of Finnmarkens virtues, which is an issue in this thread, I can say this; I don't feel at home on Midnatsol (felt like a stranger) no matter how splendid this ship is, but when I came onboard Finnmarken, I felt instantly at home! I have not traveled FM earlier, so my autumn cruise was planned for this event. But it will not be the last time I go with her (if I can afford it, traveling with Hurtigruten is a pleasure OK, however a very expensive one).
          Regards; Sigve.
          ---

Comment

Originally posted by Sigve View Post
            FB friendship granted!
            Speaking of Finnmarkens virtues, which is an issue in this thread, I can say this; I don't feel at home on Midnatsol (felt like a stranger) no matter how splendid this ship is, but when I came onboard Finnmarken, I felt instantly at home! I have not traveled FM earlier, so my autumn cruise was planned for this event. But it will not be the last time I go with her (if I can afford it, traveling with Hurtigruten is a pleasure OK, however a very expensive one).
            Thinking about it myself, to go travelling with Hurtigruten one time...., hopefully Kristiansund-Kirkenes-Kristiansund. Note I write 'one time'.
            I did not plan to buy anything on board, and since it was a company tour, I didn't pay for the trip either.
            But I enjoyed myself and was a frequent buyer of beverages in the bar, and I mean...., NOK 99,- per 0,6 Dahls beer!!!! What are they thinking about!!!!

Now it seems like Hurtigruten think; well, we got X numbers of passengers, so we have to let them pay their shirt off to travel with us to cover our cost (what we not get from the Government).
            Why not lower the prices, get more passengers and maybe still earn a bit more than they do with those X numbers of pax??

Anyway, I'm not educated in economics (as you see), but as a Norwegian I think it's sad that a round trip with a hurtigrute is something one has to save for to do once in a lifetime.
            (At least so it is with me, who also have onshore businesses to attend to and use my hard earned money on).

I have no experience with the different crews, as I have no experience in travelling on a hurtigrute, but as you say, me too felt 'at home' on board FM.
            The crew members I met was certainly good representatives of the Hurtigruten company, and in the project of getting more passengers..., that alone is a very important part.

Comment

Hi Sterkoder!
              I can follow you in that beer/price issue! That's why it's cheaper to take short distance rides. Not so much time in the bar. What I think is weird, is this; up to recently, you could only have 0,4 litres of beer on board. Now you can suddenly have 0,6 l (in Molde even 0,75!). But the old norwegian halvliter (0,5 l - as holy in Norway as the pint is in the UK) you can't have! Understand this, if you can!
              Regards; Sigve.
              ---

Comment

I think this is made especially to show the tourists how expensive beer in Norway is,,, To be honest, it is a common way to get the passengers money this way. I browsed through the Crystal homepage recently to follow Elizebeths cruise and was shocked about the prices for excursions there. It was about six times higher than you would have payed it directly at the places. Compared to that, Hurtigruten is a discount company.
                I for myself did only spend one beer aboard a Hurtigrute (just to check, how that feels), for all other occasions visited the supermarkets in the ports and bought my stuff there.
                In my opinion it is much more moodful to stand outside in a quite corner, watch, smell, listen and feel the wind (and have a smoke beside the beer).
                The German forum has pubished a list about all supermarkets along the route. Just click on the port and then scroll down to "shopping":

http://hurtigwiki.de/orte
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Sigve View Post
                  Hi Sterkoder!
                  I can follow you in that beer/price issue! That's why it's cheaper to take short distance rides. Not so much time in the bar. What I think is weird, is this; up to recently, you could only have 0,4 litres of beer on board. Now you can suddenly have 0,6 l (in Molde even 0,75!). But the old norwegian halvliter (0,5 l - as holy in Norway as the pint is in the UK) you can't have! Understand this, if you can!
                  Even though I might have started it, I don't want to turn a discussion about Hurtigruten and the coastal voyage into a discussion about beer....., that said;
                  I think the dissapearence of the 0,5 has to do with money...., some "slippery smart-ass" way to calculate prices to fool us consumers. (I don't mean Hurtigruten in this matter).
                  Remember when the toll on food (matmomsen) was set to be reduced by the Govenment..., to make food cheaper for us all, remember what the food industry was instructed by the foodchains to do?? Take 'kjøttdeig'..., which we all could by in convenient 500 gr. packages before. Now we only get 400 gr. for the SAME price as the old 500 gr. or we could by 700 gr. more expencive.

Back to the beer again, I belive the industry swept away the 0,5 ltr beer to find a way to get more money out of us consumers.

Oooooo...., am I still the Master of OT!!!! :-D

Comment

Very well. Anyway, we can both agree that Finnmarken is a great ship in all meanings of the word. This picture is from Trollfjorden, October 2d.

Regards; Sigve.
                    ---

Comment

Working...
                    X