Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Norwegian "BUNAD" thread.

The Norwegian "BUNAD" thread.

By request of a fellow respected family member, here is the official Norwegian "Bunad" thread for pictures, styles, stories and whatever you want to share.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

The county in Norway I live in is Møre and Romsdal. That county is devided into three regions again: Nordmøre (Kristiansund), Romsdal (Molde) and Sunnmøre (Ålesund).
    The following pictures are two different types of a bunad from Nordmøre.
    First the most common one with the classic red top.
    (The owner here is my fiancé standing beside my daughter, pictured at the national day 17. May in 2006. She made her bunad herself).

The other picture is of the other type, licensed by the "national bunad police", with the green top.
    The girl here is my niece, pictured at her confirmation in May 2008.

Even though she lives in Trønderlag, she's allowed to carry the Nordmørsbunad. That's because her parents and tribe/kin originally is from Nordmøre. If not, she could not have dressed in a Nordmørsbunad.

There are many rules and regulations around dressing up in a bunad, but I belive I have to ask you to Google that, as I don't know them all....
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I've heard about the National Bunad Police, but are they as fierce as I've heard?

Naturally, Lady E may already know the National Svele Police, the National Waffle Police and the Kransekake Police....

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I've heard about the National Bunad Police, but are they as fierce as I've heard?
        Oh, yes! But you know, the men and women using bunads do what they want anyway....., within common sence.

But, everyone using a bunad knows very well what can be done or not on their own, but the "bunad police" are fast to react if some details are wrong, and in particular when someone comes up with something new.
        Such a new thing a few years back was the production (correct up to 100%) of umbrellas to each type of bunad. That was NOT very popular with the "bunad police".....

As you might see on my first picture here, my fiancé had forgotten her bunad purse, that should've been hanging from the waist right side. That is something a "bunad police" would comment on in a harsh way.

I can often thing: Oh boy, don't those people have something rational to do...? Don't they have a life...???

You know, I belive those "bunad police"-people often have conection to Husfliden (J-O..., you might translate if you please), and as my fiancé made her own bunad, she had to be approved by the Husfliden

Comment

Now, I have a "I'm not Norwegian, so you have to explain to me..." question..

What does one do if one was raised in one area of the country and had one (as I have seen in shops and online, quiet EXPENSIVE) bunad, and moved to another area of the country....would one have to walk around explaining "I was born in XXX, so my bunad is XXXX..." or would one alter ones native bunad to suit the local bunad police???

or...

If, hypothetically, of course, someone were to immigrate to Norway, or to visit for a lengthy portion of the year (cough cough..wink wink...) would one get to select her favorite bunad to wear, or wear the one of her temporary home, or would she not be allowed to wear a bunad until she passed some sort of bunad test???

(just for reference, I have a dirndl, and the Deutsche Dirndl Polizei never bothered me....)

Comment

You usually carry the bunad from your birth place.
            As for my niece, she could carry the North-Trønderlag bunad, as she's born there, but she's also entitled to carry the Nordmørsbunad, as her next of kin originally are from Nordmøre.

It would not be popular with the damned "bunad police" if a foreigner not linked to any place in Norway would carry a bunad. But if you can find that tiny little link.....

A group of people who were fed up with all of the crazy ideas of the "bunad police", designed a new all over bunad some years ago.
            Everyone can use it, mainly those who's not entiteled to a classic bunad, but want to dress up in a nice way on occations. It's called the Kystbunaden (The Coastal Bunad).

Front and back pictures below:

This coastal bunad aslo have its male type.

Comment

Hmmm... too complicated, I think. I'll just take photographs and admre the details!! (Even though I have some Viking who attacked England somewhere in my geneology..I forget the name....)

Besides, I'm already on the lam from the NVP, the NSP and the KKP.......

Comment

mainly those who's not entiteled to a classic bunad
                Well, I would belive everyone is entitled, as everyone are born one place or another...., but as you might suspect, there are so many strange rules in this bunad-area.

Comment

The Norwegian Bunads: all on one place....

http://www.madeinnorwaynow.no/bunad/?display=all

You can also on this site cast your vote for the favorite bunad.

Comment

When I discovered this BUNAD-thread this evening, I was a little disappointed to find very few pictures of people wearing one or another BUNAD.

So I thought it was my duty to post some bunad-images. But searching through about 1.500 pictures at my computer albums, I only found TWO pictures with people wearing bunad. That was quite embarrasing.

But here they are.

This is a scanned image of my cousin and her daughter wearing Vest-Agder BUNAD

And this is a mobile-phone-picture of a lovely friend from Saltdal wearing Nordlands-BUNAD

Comment

So nice to see these Martin, and with the detailed information too.
                      I only have pictures of bunad that are taken during the Constitution Day parades, but of course (short of stopping and interviewing everybody – or spending hours making comparisons with that link pakarang provided in post#9) I have no idea which part of Norway they represent. (I don't often recognise Scottish tartans either! )

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                        What does one do if one was raised in one area of the country and had one (as I have seen in shops and online, quiet EXPENSIVE) bunad, and moved to another area of the country....would one have to walk around explaining "I was born in XXX, so my bunad is XXXX..." or would one alter ones native bunad to suit the local bunad police???

or...

If, hypothetically, of course, someone were to immigrate to Norway, or to visit for a lengthy portion of the year (cough cough..wink wink...) would one get to select her favorite bunad to wear, or wear the one of her temporary home, or would she not be allowed to wear a bunad until she passed some sort of bunad test???

(just for reference, I have a dirndl, and the Deutsche Dirndl Polizei never bothered me....)
                        Actually, your first issue is an excellent way to start a conversation.. "Ohhh, you have a very NICE bunad, where is it from".. and suddenly you have an interesting talk to a completely strange person. Where I live, we are so used to seeing so many different kinds of bunads (and new designs are still being made) that we don't see much of the bunad police. People wear their particular one for a reason, and when people ask, it's more out of interest and curiousity.

When it comes to immigrants and bunad, there is no test, but they are encouraged to wear their traditonal dresses from their native countries.

Comment

Re: The Norwegian "BUNAD" thread.

A nice and interesting thread. So appealing with all the different designs. Anyone have some more to share?

Comment

I don't know if the "Bunad Politi" had the guts to follow this flock: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/article7587977.ece

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                              I don't know if the "Bunad Politi" had the guts to follow this flock: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/article7587977.ece
                              Imagine if they did the entire uphill track wearing their bunad!

Comment

Working...
                              X