This is Røros

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Røros

Thank you Ivy, for commenting on my pictures!
    As for adding the story, in english, of the play Elden...., this is something I do for CVF, trying to stitch together a "story" of the pictures I take. This is what makes CVF unique, as it is impossible to do it in the same way with pictures and text on let's say Facebook.

As for the symbol on the church tower:
    This is the official city shield of Røros, made up of the chemical symbol for copper over two crossed hammers, standard issue equipment of mineworkers in those days.
    There's a bit of a difference in those hammers though, and their Norwegian names are bergjern and feisel.

The shield of Røros:

The bergjern being the 'hammer' with the sharp end, held by the miners left hand with the sharp end down on the rock, where he then used the feisel (ordinary hammer) in the right hand and hit the bergjern as hard as he could on the flat end. Hope it's all understandable...

The use of these two hammers was mainly done on softer rock and was called kaldkiling (cold wedgeing), as the opposite of varmkiling (warm wedgeing) where one had to make a fire to warm the rock before breaking it loose...., also by the bergjern and feisel though.
    Last edited by Sterkoder; July 21st, 2013, 22:56.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Now that's a great explanation, just what I like. I have a bergjern amongst my father's old tools, though what he would have used it for I just don't know! Now when I see it I'll think of Røros. I have several feisel hammers, of course. (just showing off).
      This is what makes CVF unique, as it is impossible to do it in the same way with pictures and text on let's say Facebook.
      It may be unique, but obviously few people still think so any more. It is so different from when I first joined, people were interested in so many different things and there was much cross-fertilisation of ideas, much visiting of other people's threads. People joined in things and there was much to keep up with. Nowadays I look one day only to find it has hardly changed from the previous one. So sometimes I just don't look.
      But many thanks, Svein.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Great pictures and great explanation Svein. Røros is a lovely place, I've thoroughly enjoyed my visits there - you're bringing back good memories with your photos.

Really embarrassed never to have noticed the shield or thought about its meaning though.

You stayed at a good hotel too - even if to us Brits it seems extremely expensive!!
        Last edited by PoloUK; July 21st, 2013, 23:56.
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

You stayed at a good hotel too - even if to us Brits it seems extremely expensive!!
          Oh yes, I/we've always used that hotel (Røros Hotel) when in need of a sleepover in the beautiful city.
          Røros Hotel is in fact, if you don't include the hickers motels, the cheapest hotels. In a questionaire it is also the hotel getting most points from visitors.
          The price is NOK 1.045,-/night with breakfast, and if you include the evening buffet, 1.250,-/night.

Of cours, you have the Erzscheidergården hotel, but that is a popular place and in my case, fully booked. There you can have a room with breakfast for under NOK 1.000,-.

Nowadays I look one day only to find it has hardly changed from the previous one. So sometimes I just don't look.
          It's the main reason why I might discover questions asked to me spesifically, maybe several months ago, simply because I don't visit threads as often as I used to.
          I don't want to say more about the decline of traffic in here.
          Belive I've said enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
            Røros Hotel is in fact, if you don't include the hickers motels, the cheapest hotels. In a questionaire it is also the hotel getting most points from visitors.
            The price is NOK 1.045,-/night with breakfast, and if you include the evening buffet, 1.250,-/night.
            Yep, we paid about the same last summer there, but don't forget we're only getting 9NOK to the £1 these days!
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I know Mark...., I will point out I'm not saying Norway is a cheap country to visit. It's probably one of the most expencive in the world.

Comment

I know Mark...., I will point out I'm not saying Norway is a cheap country to visit. It's probably one of the most expencive in the world.
                Yep - and one of the most beautiful, charming and wonderful!! Time to start planning next year's trip soon (if I can persuade my Norwegian that we're going north again!).
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

....As for the symbol on the church tower....
                  Crossed hammers also frequently figured in badges and logos of geological societies and institutions –at least until the current fashion for modern minimalist designer logos! The head of a hammer for geological use is made of hardened steel. This is less brittle than in an “ordinary” hammer, and so less prone to fracture or producing shards of metal when used on rock, which could cause injury (so careful what you get up to with your father's hammers Ivy ). They come in various weights (lighter for softer rock) and shapes of the head, such as pick or chisel shaped ends, for various uses –a palaeontologist for example may want to simply split the rock without damaging any fossil contained in it!

Comment

When I say expencive, I mean it's even expencive for us liveing here...., with the salaries we have.
                    Don't know about other countries, but in Norway an employee have 11 months payment + a specified "summer payment" the 12th month.
                    The 12th months salary is made up of 12,1% of the gross payment from the year before (all 12 months).
                    This way we at least have just a little bit more to spend on holiday if we want to.

As for next year; you and your travelling company are so very welcome to Norway!!!

Comment

Thanks for sharing beautiful photos.
                      It is very tempting to visit this city really.

Comment

Working...
                      X