Trondheim – as seen by Seagull

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trondheim – as seen by Seagull

I usually try to post in existing and established threads whenever possible – somehow starting a new thread suggests a self-confidence, a sense of having something important to impart. These are feelings which for me tend to evaporate when about to post anything.

So just what happened today to make me click on the New Thread button here in “Kingdom of Norway”?

The day had started early, looking at the ship and port webcams in Trondheim – well, the U.K. is an hour behind Norway remember! It was Finnmarken’s last visit before a long contract in Australia. So no decisions about where to post these captured pictures – clearly they belonged in Finnmarken’s “sticky” thread. I even found I had managed to successfully stalk our Captain, who recognised himself as a few pixels which corresponded with his ship-spotting place and time!

Watching Finnmarken’s departure brought back memories of another hurtigrute which I had photographed myself in Trondheim back in 2003, shortly before she was due to leave the fleet. So I thought I’d look out those photos –and even decided to post them. Well, not really too big a deal as once again a thread already existed for that ship, ex-Midnatsol.

But there from 2003 were a whole days worth of photos I’d taken in Trondheim – a day of snow showers and changing light. And I knew I had many more photos taken in subsequent years, photos which had always been possibilities for inclusion in the “This is Trondheim” thread if I ever got round to it.

However, while I’ve been “getting round to it”, Trondheim has acquired a special status here on CaptainsVoyage as our home port so to speak. Naturally, since Captain’s been living there, his inspiring images have been appearing in “This is Trondheim” and in many other threads too.

So I was faced with a dilemma. In the end, posting with pakarang seemed even more pretentious than starting a new thread. So here I am: Trondheim – as seen by Seagull! The first few photos coming up in a moment, and I will add to their number gradually over time.
    And I don’t doubt for a moment that by the time I have run out of photos, I’ll have returned for another visit to this fine city.

This was my very first sight of Trondheim, taken from the deck of the old Midnatsol on the 3rd of April, 2003.

Last edited by Seagull; November 9th, 2009, 13:22.

Comment

Perhaps it will turn out to be a mistake to have shown you this so soon, for it is my favourite, my most special image of Trondheim. Yellow wooden buildings and falling snow – an archetypal motif of Scandinavia. It reminds me of some of the better and more visually fulfilling dramatised documentaries or biographies of Ibsen or Munch or Strindberg which often feature a scene like this – probably because it is timeless. And actually quite easy to experience, now, here in the 21st century.

Comment

Absolutely fantastic images... the first image of the port, with a nice new white cover of snow sent my toes into a chill! Had to go get myself some thicker socks before continuing...

I do agree with you, these are terrific motifs and are almost a notch better than those we take under blue skies and perfect weather. When it comes to picture perfect, this is as perfect as any other. Why?

Because it is simple to feel the ... ehmmm... charm of the photo. It is simple to feel how cold, how wet and how that day was for the photographer.

Unfortunately though, these are the kind of days when we stay inside and forget to venture outside to capture the scenes.

Great images! Really great images!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
          ....Unfortunately though, these are the kind of days when we stay inside and forget to venture outside to capture the scenes....
          That is very true – at home, people (but not me these days, Captain!!!!) would leave their camera in the house or maybe not even venture outside at all. But if they are away on holiday and the weather is less than conventionally “perfect” some of them might just attempt a photo or two rather than not have any souvenir of the place visited. And maybe they get a pleasant surprise with the result.

Well, I am delighted this thread meets with your approval.
          Two more images of Trondheim:

Comment

These images certainly proves that also grey winter days can be quite beautiful and also dramatic enough to create stunning images.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Last edited by Seagull; November 12th, 2009, 12:09.

Comment

Comment

Cool image of the libraru entrance... I didn't know the building was THAT beautiful! I had never noticed how beautiful the building actually is - before now!

Comment

Sculpture by Nils Aas, inspired by the novel Den Siste Viking of Johan Bojer

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                      Sculpture known as the "shopping lady". I'll try find out by whom.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                        Sculpture known as the "shopping lady". I'll try find out by whom.
                        I see there is a small plaque on the base of the sculpture. Thinking I would have made a note of what it said, I even managed to find a notebook from that trip back in 2003 , but no note! .

Some more images of Trondheim that day:-

Comment

I had around this time started to experiment with “stitching together” several photos to make a wider, somewhat more panoramic view. Some vistas in Trondheim seemed to be appropriate for this technique.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X