This is Ålesund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ehp View Post
    Just looking back over this thread...I saw this building when we were on the bus tour coming back from Giske...I hollered out loud I was so excited.....
    Nice to hear that you got around a bit in Aalesund, although the weather was just about as bad as can be on a summer day. (Better luck next time)

Did you feel the ears "pop" when going through the tunnels to Giske?
    You were abt. 150 m. below sea level at the deepest point. Not many divers can claim to have been deeper.

Somebody may issue you with a Deep Sea Diver Certificate to go with your newly acquired Master Mariner Certificate.

Comment

This house, I mean...
      This house is haunted They say that the peoples who lives in this house can hear strange sounds, and the interior objects moves around..
      "I may not be able to control the wind, but I can adjust my sails."

Enthusiastically regards
      Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

Thought i should share some nice pictures from the midsummer-marking (Sankthans aften) in Ålesund. I think we have the tallest bonfire in Norway here in Ålesund. We also have the Guinness world record from a couple of years back

Princess Daphne, trying not to hit one of the many houndred boats that showed up at the bonfire

Enthusiastically regards
        Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

The fire is starting to fall...

Enthusiastically regards
          Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

Enthusiastically regards
            Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

That is WAAAYYY cool Torbjørn!!! How do they build the bonfire and how long does it take--both to build and to burn down???

Comment

Here is a movie that shows the construction of the bonfire in 2002

Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Amazing Torbjørn, I had not heard about this record-breaking bonfire. Duly noted. I seem recently to me "making a note" of so many special events that take place in various places annually, just in case I could plan to be in the right place at the right time in future .... as if it isn't challenging enough just to keep track of the hurtigruten sailing schedule these days!
                    I bet that fire crew would like a copy of your portrait of them keeping a thoughtful and watchful eye on the proceedings.

Comment

That is WAAAYYY cool Torbjørn!!! How do they build the bonfire and how long does it take--both to build and to burn down???
                      I think they are using about 2 months to build the bonfire, and it burns down in about 2 hours. I think there are about 30 peoples working at it every year for free The pallets are donated from a large fishfactory in Ålesund called Fjordlaks.

Enthusiastically regards
                      Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                        Amazing Torbjørn, I had not heard about this record-breaking bonfire. Duly noted. I seem recently to me "making a note" of so many special events that take place in various places annually, just in case I could plan to be in the right place at the right time in future .... as if it isn't challenging enough just to keep track of the hurtigruten sailing schedule these days!
                        I bet that fire crew would like a copy of your portrait of them keeping a thoughtful and watchful eye on the proceedings.
                        Yes, it is definately worth visiting It takes place about 23.june every year.
                        I was thinking about giving the firecrew a copy of that picture myself. Maybe I will do that

Enthusiastically regards
                        Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

When I grew up in Aalesund in the 1950s there were several "Baal gjenger" (Bonfire Gangs) competing to see who could collect the most wooden barrels and boxes to burn at St Hans. Some were legally obtained and some were honestly stolen for the many fish processing plants in town.

There were also raids to steal from other gangs, which some times could get rather violent. We took turn to guard what we had and to raid unguarded loot, usually in the early hours of the morning. Since this was in May and June, there would be some very tied pupils at school at times.

The "Baal" would be have names and the gangs would be geographically limited to the various parts of town. The present one being "Slinningsbaalet", where the gang would be from the eastern part of Hessa. I belonged to "Hessabaalet", which originated from the other half of Hessa, an island with less than 500 inhabitants in the mid fifties. Although we went to the same school and the same classes, there were bitter animosity between the gangs during the "collecting season".

The next one along was "Vikabaalet", which originated from Skarbovik. Also on the same island but separated by previously belonging to Aalesund Municipality, while the rest of the island was part of Borgund Municipality. There was even a difference in dialect spoken, depending on which part of the island you were from.

Next was "Steinvaagsbaalet" & "Skjervabaalet", which both drew their gangs from the western part of Aspoya, demarcated by the street they lived in.
                          Further east was "Bollaren" and "Kjerringa", which took their name from the place they built the bonfire.There was some other, but these were the main contenders, and our targets for raids that I can remember.

Each of these bonfires would be built from several hundred wooden barrels, the number of which was the sign of how "good" the gang had been in bumming or pilfering in the months leading up to the big night.

The second competition was how long the bonfire lasted, once put on fire. (As late as possible. All kinds of trickes were used to get the other gangs to light their bonefire first) To ensure longevity we would stuff the barrels with any kind of driftwood or other burnable material we could obtain.

Now it is only the one large bonfire left in Aalesund, built mainly from pallets. The height is the aim and the competition is now with bonfires in Bergen and other places where large barrel bonfires were traditionally lite on St.Hans.
                          All honours to those who keep up the tradition, but a lot has got lost, for better or for worse.

This is a painting of QE2 passing by "Slinningsbaalet" before it is lite:

Comment

You could never do anything like this in the States...the government would step in saying the kids weren't "roped on' properly or something... designs and engineering specs would have to be approved, the wood would have to be inspected so no asbestos or creosote was released into the air.....blah blah blah...

Texas A&M used to make a log bonfire about 12 meters high each year before the football game with the University of Texas...but it was wired together. In 1999 it collapsed during the building of it...and 12 people died. They probably STILL are investigating....but that pretty much put an end to anything of that sort here.

That bonfire looks appropriate for Valhalla!!!!!

Comment

Beautiful pictures Torbjørn - thank you so much for sharing them with all of us !
                              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

The narrowest house in the "World"???

Has anybody noticed this house in Kongensgt, in Aalesund:

It used to contain a Tea Shop last I remember, but I don't know what it is used for today?

Comment

Working...
                                X