No announcement yet.

This is Ålesund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are actually in an Industrial zone. After a while we passed Flatholmen Container port:

Along here is a steep trek up to Aksla Stadium and Fjelltun:

We pass above the entrance to the tunnel through Aksla to the south side. The round-about at the entrance was obviously optional:

But hat is that building ahead?:

Curiosity made a short detour necessary. A short dirt road lead up to the building:

The building is called "Breidablikk" and appears to be occupied and well maintained:

I don't know the history of this building, but I'm still curious.

At this point is another steep access to the ridge, called Ravneskaret (Raven's Cut). Not for the faint hearted

Comment

Next we came to the old North Graveyard and a small stone Chapel:

The graveyard is no longer in use for burials, but the ground appeared well maintained, with some of the graves still tended:

Here is a rather unusual grave stone, at least by today's standard:

The Chapel looked to be simple but sturdy ad in good condition, although not in use:

Comment

As we wandered towards the park we came across several stone wall with no particular or obvious purpose:

And a modern communication building:

We are now at the top of Einarvika and Skaregata. Here a view towards downtown:

There is also steps down to Skaregata and the shortest route to Skansen and Hurtigruten.

But along Borgernesvei there is no traffic and little noise:

We have finally reach the City Park and the stair to Fjellstua, after a walk of abt. 4.5 Km. from Fagerlia School:

I had noticed several plaques marking old city boundaries along the way. This must be the original one though.
        It is situated next to the entrance of the steps to Fjellstua:

Not many tourist find their way to Borgernesvei, and frankly, there isn't much to see except fallen rocks, fallen trees and a glimpse of industrial activity, but it is a good workout. If you start from town you can either do the whole loop, following the ridge back to Fjellstua and the steps down, or take the bus back from Hauaplassen, which is next to NTNU and NMK and close to Sunnmore Museum.

​For those who travel by Hurtigruten it is too long trip since they only stop a short time before and after the side trip to Geiranger, but if you have been in Geiranger several times you may spend the day in Aalesund to enjoy the architecture, the hospitality and a good long walk around Aksla.

Comment

No this is not a photographic accident:

It is the sun shining through the clouds.

Comment

Some nostalgia for thos many (relatively speaking) ex Aalesunders on CVF
            Where is this?:

OK, some more then:

Only the crowd (and Borken) is missing, or it could have been St.Hans in your youth??
            Last edited by ombugge; October 23rd, 2016, 21:51.

Comment

• yvneac
              yvneac commented
              Editing a comment
              Not any nostalgia for me since I'm not a "old Aalesunder". But a great pleasure to see the superb colours of automn in your city,Ombugge.

More autumn pictures from Aalesund for your enjoyment:

Comment

Missing the autumn colours up close? OK, here we go:

Comment

Aksla has changed colour as well:

Especially with a setting sun:

We have head 3 weeks of glorious autumn weather with sun from a clear blue sky, but frost at night.
                Some bushes, plant and trees have got confused by this unusual phenomena though:

Like this Rhododendron that think it is spring:

Or this one, which I do not know the name of, in English or Norwegian:

There is also a lot of hedge plants and bushes with bright red berries all over the place:

Since nobody is picking them I assume that they are either bitter or poisonous??

Comment

• yvneac
                  yvneac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow. It is a painting palette.

Came across this manhole cover along Borgundveien the other day:

Nice, with the Aalesund City Shield prominently on display:

This is the only one of the type I have noticed, but then I'm still exploring and getting to know my home town.

Comment

Wonderful photos Ombugge. I particularly loved yesterday's ones looking towards Slinningsodden. That view changes every minute of every day, absolutely glorious (that's why we like the Quality Hotel Waterfront!).
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• ombugge
                    ombugge commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Mark.Any view with Slinnigsodden and especially Slinningsbua is my favourit motif, which I try to incorporate in as many pictures as possible. Let me know next time you are in town.

Autumn is over, now for the winter.
                  Snow limit has been lowered to about 500 m. near the coast:

Even lower further inland:

Comment

Well known motif from Brosundet:

The fog stays out at sea:

The sun is about to dip under horizon at 1600 hrs. CET:

Colouring Aksla orange:

Another beautiful early winter day comes to an end:

Comment

Wonderful report. Nice memories to our trip last year.
                    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

The narrow building in Kongensgate has been featured several times here on CVF:

Now it will get a new role again, this time as an Art Gallery: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/2016/11/11...1.ece#cxrecs_s

Something for you art lovers on the forum to see on your next visit to Aalesund.

Comment

• yvneac
                        yvneac commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you Ombugge.A new place to taste during a call at Aalesund.

Come Hell or High Water: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/2016/11/16...ick_articles=3

Comment

Working...
                      X