Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slinningsbua is still standing, but another gale is expected:

Comment

Who from CVF will be in Aalesund during Tall Ships Race to see the Sedov and Mir together??: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/alesundogo...le10831074.ece
      OK we already know of one, anybody else??

Comment

If I'm not wrong the race arrives at Aalesund on 18/7 and moves to K'sand on 25/7.
        So since I shall be aboard Trollfjord from 21/7 (Bergen) to 24/7 (Svolvaer) maybe I'll be able to see them during the call at Aalesund.
        It will depend on how long time they'll stay docked in your town,Ombugge.

Comment

Tall Ships in Ålesund is 15th to 18th July
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Just want to display a few pics from the demolition of the old Hurtigrute terminal in Ålesund , and how it looks like now.

Some day it will be order out of chaos...

Looks familar? Hurtigruten used to lay to the left.

How it looks like now. New Hurtigruteterminal should be to the left in the picture.

Comment

Wow, a really great documentation of the changing scene. Thanks Helge.

Comment

I have only one comment: This is vandalism!
                Regards; Sigve.
                ---
                IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

• nari
                  nari commented
                  Editing a comment
                  From what I recall of Aalesund's docks I agree. Another box structure to fill up any space left.

• ombugge
                  ombugge commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What was there before was also a box structure, with parking space on the roof.
                  No waiting room or any other facilities for passengers, just storage space for cargo.
                  Aalesund needs more office space for expanding maritime activities. Converted space in old Judgen houses has been tried, but is not always suitable.
                  The alternative is to build outside the town center, leaving the town even deader than it has been the last 20 years or more.
                  New restaurants and bars and return of flats in the old buildings is what is needed, not streets devoid of life after working hours.

I see your good points, ombugge, but I still am of the opinion that converting the old dock environment at Skansekaia into a modern harbour/office/living environment is not of the good. Ålesund has up to now been one of the harbours where passengers and visitors could walk on the docks, quite up to the shipside and take on it. The ISPS regulations were practised with sensibility. If Hurtigruten returns to Skansekaia this will end. You bet. There will be a new regime that will keep us people on a good distance. The argument will be that the new setting at Skansekaia is so complex that security has to be much higher. Look to Kristiansund, where both passengers and visitors are held outside a locked gate until the ship has docked and the gangway is down. Only then they are admitted into the dock.
                That the city centre of Ålesund needs life and developement, is clear to all. But to transform Skansekaia into a beehive on the waters edge, and Hurtigruten and other ships docking just outside the clercs’ windows, I still call vandalism. These new buildings will be so dominant in the city picture that you won’t even see Hurtigruten docked on the webcams, well, except the mast of the biggest ones, maybe….
                Regards; Sigve.
                ---
                IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

• ombugge
                  ombugge commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's known as progress my friend. Agree or don't agree, but it is necessary to keep the town alive.

Fjellstua on Aksla is ready to open again tomorrow with new and modern interior: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/article10905421.ece
                Exactly how that will work with only chairs and no tables is not explained.

Comment

It is spring in Aalesund: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/article10902796.ece

Comment

A fresh drone video from Aalesund, with perspectives you don't normally see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqRz6nUxtO4
                  Incl. Hurtigruten Kong Harald.

Comment

What is it with Norwegian modern architecture and foremost, architects...? Are they all, or at least those working with renewal and revitalization of cities, smoking their socks, or what???
                    This new hurtigrute terminal building, or should I say structure, has nothing to do with Ålesund. At least not the old jugend-style city senter. It's a shame!
                    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

The news that many have been waiting for?
                      The steps up to Fjellstua will re-open today: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/alesundogo...le10965599.ece
                      Still 418 steps, if you were wondering.

Comment

Yes ombugge, and here is the report from the New steps up to Fjellstua. I was walking the steps on saturday to check them out and at the same time try out my New lens:Sony 70-300 G SSM.

Starting at the lower area a New cover had been laid on the path, almost rubberised to prevent People from sliding.

Many new benches had been fitted.

The cannon.

The stone wall had been reinforced and stone steps had New concrete.

Comment

A new viewpoint is made called the Byrampen! Very popular!

Finally i was managing to reach Fjellstua and I had to determine if the new steps was good or bad: I think there have been made a great job With upgrading one of Ålesunds biggest attractions.
                          Outstanding craftmanship have been made to make the New steps last many years to come. Some will say that it is too much concrete instead of stonesteps and you kan see on the first Picture how much it is of it. Anyways,dont miss this if you are visiting Ålesund!

Comment

Working...
                          X