Comment

Some residences at the outskirts of Aalesund:

This apparently a single family house:

New houses in old style:

Comment

• Sigve
        Sigve commented
        Editing a comment
        OK, where Landes Rutebiler/Bybussen ended its route...

• ombugge
        ombugge commented
        Editing a comment
        You obviously go back a long time, but yes.

• Sigve
        Sigve commented
        Editing a comment
        To the early sixties, yes.

A walk in more familiar parts of Ålesund …but then there's a statue I do not remember seeing! Well I wasn’'t actually thinking about the satellite-dish-like sculpture and the laugh your comment gave me, though it was also new to me I was thinking about the SEAGULLS!
      Simply wonderful, and delightful photos too.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
        A walk in more familiar parts of Ålesund …but then there's a statue I do not remember seeing! Well I wasn’'t actually thinking about the satellite-dish-like sculpture and the laugh your comment gave me, though it was also new to me I was thinking about the SEAGULLS!
        Simply wonderful, and delightful photos too.
        The seagull monument is near the location of an actual seagull colony breeding on a rock wall in the middle of town:http://www.alesund.kommune.no/fakta-...g-og-sprenging

The blasting away of this rock and the demolition of the large stone villa situated above, caused a lot of debate and even demonstrations.
        For those with real interest in this subject, here is a link with 74 pictures giving a sequential history: http://www.smp.no/kultur/article5214503.ece

Comment

• Sigve
          Sigve commented
          Editing a comment
          The picture series of the fate of Rønneberghaugen/Fugleberget is unbelievable!!

• Seagull
          Seagull commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you so much for the link to that extraordinary photoseries, Ombugge.

Aalesund as seen from Olsvika Marina, Hessa today:

Comment

Remember this Pirate boat from a Sterkoder report last year?:

It hasn't received much maintenance since. Here is a closer look at the present condition:

Comment

The condition of these old Cod Lever Oil Factories pictured by Sterkoder has not improved either:

Some of the boats stored here does not look like the will get back in the water anytime soon:

Comment

Nice name on this one:

This former Pi;ot Boat looked in good nick, however:

High water at the slipway/launch ramp:

Comment

Fishing boats seen alongside in Aalesund yesterday:

Hurtigruta at Prestebrygga, which will be the venue for a while, until the new terminal at Skansekaia is ready:

Comment

I did promise to report on the new bar in Aalesund, appropriately named MILK.
                  Yesterday we were the first guests to arrive for an overpriced beer and glass of wine, just to keep my promise to the CVF family. (The hardship of it all)

This should indicate the location of the bar:

Situated above the old Ferry Ramp at Skateflukaia.

More external views:

It is only open from 1800 hrs. in winter:

Comment

The outside and inside lighting is very blue and not very bright. :

Maybe they should name the place Skimmed Milk?

Milk canister and milk bottles (British?) are used as decorations:

Hard to see here, but along the mid-divder there are live gas flames:

Comment

The main attraction is of cause the "windows" in the floor to view the fish swimming below:

Lights below water both attract fish and make it possible to see them during the night:

It is hard to zoom in on the fish though:

For some reason the fish doesn't want to keep still long enough to get in focus.

Some interesting effects occurs though:

Comment

Your pictures from Ålesund put me in a mood of 'alenetid' (time spent alone) in a summery Ålesund...., only me, my camera and my Toyota.
                        Spending time in this beautiful city from 0700 in the morning to way past noon, together with large cruise ships and their passengers givs me a lot...., and on to top it all with a ship and stay in Åndalsnes...., wow!!!!
                        So, thanks for walking/driving around, giving us these impressions!
                        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• ombugge
                          ombugge commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Glad you enjoyed Aalesund, both in person and my reports from walkabouts this last two weeks.
                          There will not be too much more from me now, but don't despair, the Cruise season is just around the corner.

The lights today has been quite changing, from a colourless sunrise to fast changing conditions during the short day, to a fairly colourless sunset. (Strong SE'ly wind and dry all day)

Here is the view from the veranda at 1347 hrs.:

By 1402 hrs. colours started to appear on the clouds:

At 1420 hrs. we were in town:

Comment

1428 hrs. and another venue:

Comment

Working...
                          X