No announcement yet.

This is Ålesund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice retro-report Ombugge.I am always interrested to see how the towns are changing years after years.These chalk roads,for instance, give a special touch to the landscape and tell something about the life of inhabitants.

Comment

Thanks Yves. I'll continue along the road towards the west of Hessa and then to the North side of the Island.

We have reached Hessaskaret, where it had originally been a small village where all the farmers lived in a cluster for protection until they set up houses on their farm plot sometime in the mid-1800s:

Here there was/is a road down to the ferry wharf and fish processing factories on the north side and on to Skarbovik, which was part of Aalesund municipality. No road existed along the north side between Hessaskaret and Olsvikskaret. I grew up in Hessakaret, down the hill on the North side.

There was a small shop here, known simply as "Petra butikken" after the owner. She was selling anything and everything and often on credit. She kept records in a small note book for each family on west part of Hessa. This was known as "aa kjope paa bok".

PS>There was a similar small shop at Olsvikskaret know as" Konna butikken" after it's owner, Konrad Slinning that served those who lived on Slinningen on the the east part of the island.

Comment

Going west from Hessaskaret there were farms and a few houses owned by non-farmers.

This is "Jakopgarden" on the left with "Olagarden" on the right:

The Baren for "Jakopgarden" on the right, "Erikgarden" on the left:

Then there is a gap in the records here. This is "Flydalgarden":

Comment

Another gap. This is "Einanghuset", which was standing alone in an area called "Utmarka":

This was used to grass freeranging cows and horses during the summer.

Further west is Korsvika (No picture) and Saevollen, with three farms:

That was the end of the road and inhabitant. Further along was the remains of German fortification from WWII, know as Stavneset.
          Now this is a recreational area with a playing field for the local football club.

Comment

What a precious photo-archive, ombugge. Moments in time, changes with time - this could keep me happy for hours. The names of the farms and houses also preserve so much history, and thank you for telling us about those shops which again says so much about life in those days.

As a photo and place which is specially appealing to me I have to mention the lone "Einanghuset".

Comment

What does the south side of Hessa looks like today? There is no more farming. Both cultivated and un-cultivated land is now covered in houses, but no shops or restaurants.
              Here is a picture taken from Wilkipedia showing the area from about "Erikgarden" and east, with Hessa Primary School in the foreground:

Here is a panorama of south side of Hessa, also from the net:

Photo by Ingvald Kaldhussæter

Next To the North side of Hessa and Skarbovik.

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                Nice retro-report Ombugge.I am always interrested to see how the towns are changing years after years.These chalk roads,for instance, give a special touch to the landscape and tell something about the life of inhabitants.
                You may have noticed that there are no cars to be seen on those pristine chalk roads?
                There were only one lorry on the island, no private cars, until after the bridge was completed in 1953.
                The lorry owner was responsible for maintaining the roads and to plow them in the winters, as well as any heavy transport.
                Daily transport of milk canisters from the farms to the ferry wharves were by horse and wagons. (Or sledge, if the roads were snow covered)

Comment

Yes I noticed. It reminds me my feeling when I look at old photos of my countryside Pays d’Auge. In the early 50’s animal traction was used for movings around the villages and most of the little roads were still dirt tracks.
                  The stunning thing is that in about ten years, a new world appeared, totally different, changing economy, standards of life, geographic organization, landscape, and mentalities.
                  Ten or fifteen years, it’s a short time in the human history, but these years transformed deeply the way we use and think our “close at hand” environment. As said my teacher in rural sociology to its students: you can’t understand anything about French rurality if you ignore that it changed more from 1945 to 1965 than from 1789(Revolution) to 1940.

Comment

More about Hessa, or more specifically "Sukkertoppen", which dominate the island of Hessa.

Sukkertoppen is popular for trekking among locals and the odd tourist. Here is an explanation of how to get there:
                    http://www.ii.uib.no/~petter/mountai...kertoppen.html
                    That is to the easy route from the east and along the ridge, which is how most people gets up and down to the summit:

For those who like to make thing a bit more difficult there are several alternative routes to choose from:
                    http://www.westcoastpeaks.com/Peaks/sukkertoppen.html
                    This link also have a nice panorama picture of Aalesund, as seen from Hessa.

Some take the return trip from the summit the "easy way", by bicycle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYgkqt8S5KA
                    Last edited by ombugge; December 23rd, 2013, 13:31. Reason: Change link

Comment

As mentioned earlier Hessa was divided between Aalesund and Borgund municipalities until 1968.
                      The boarder followed the ridge of Sukkertoppen for part of the way. Here is a boarder market that is still there:

The reason for tourists to visit Sukkertoppen is mostly to take picture of the view of Aalesund from there.
                      Here is a wider view:

More focused on the down town area:

A winter view:

And a view of Tueneset with Atlanterhavsparken Aquarium:

Enough of Sukkertoppen. Next we look at some older pictures from Hessa and Aalesund.

Comment

Aalesund seen from the east in an airphoto from 1950s:

This one is from Middagsfjellet in 2006:

Comment

I cannot find any detailed photos of the north side of Hessa in the 1950s, but here is Skarbovik with the Aarsether, klippfish drier and cod lever oil refinery in Osane:

Osholmen, still without a road:

Osholmen and Dronnen Slipway:

A sunken German E-boat can be seen her. (it was used as an extra wharf) The ferry wharf with the reserve ferry Aspoy at lower left.

Notholmen:

Drevika at upper right.

The bridge under construction across Steinvaagsundet:

The bridge is nearing completion and is driveable:

The bridge was officially opened in Aug. 1953, but it took several years before the bus route was extended past Osane and even longer before the road on the south side of the island was regarded usable for buses.

Comment

Skarbovika seen from Sukkertoppen now:

Comment

Steinvaagsbroa seen from the west:

Steinvaagsbroa as seen from a boat when approaching from north:
                              Last edited by ombugge; December 24th, 2013, 14:09.

Comment

If you are into walking or cycling, here is a route that takes you around Hessa on little trafficked roads and not too steep hills:

Comment

Working...
                                X