This is Ålesund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Ålesund

I also this time found a decoration high up on a wall. Not sure what this is a logo for...

Near this statue I met that old guy from London. he admired the seagull on top, but mostly enjoyed looking at them when they soared with wings spread at max. Maybe he was an ex. pilot or something. Although we talked for a while, I forgot to ask.

It seemed like the sun lighted up the main mast of CP from below.

Børsen, an impressive building

Took a picture of the Apotekertorget (Farmacy Square) before I drove away
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Had a last stop at a quay/pier in Sjøgata, and discovered this statue "Mot Havet" (Towards the ocean) in a square between Sjøgata and Keiser Wilhelms gate

And from that spot, I just had to take three more pictures of an enormous stern. This was what pulled me to Ålesund today.
      Hope you enjoyed the trip and that you managed to follow my steps around town. Some of you did due to the fact that you have visited the city before, for others, I've included street names and names of streat crossings

Hessa in the background

Comment

Aalesund presented on VG Nett: http://www.visitmr.com/more-og-romsd...p?page_id=1647

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
          I also this time found a decoration high up on a wall. Not sure what this is a logo for...
          Ole Ellingsen & Sonner, Glass Merchants. Nedre Standgate. (I don't know if the firm still exists)

Comment

Thank you Sterkoder for adding the latest pictures. It's impressive to see the ship, but as least as interesting to see all those wonderful details from Ålesund.

Comment

I could hardly munch my breakfast fast enough this morning…just knowing there would be Sterkoder’s Ålesund waiting for me on CVF! Of course I come into the category he mentions of those that have visited the city before, but whether it is on my own subsequent visits, or vicariously through others images, I always come across some viewpoint or detail that is new to me as well as other ones that are old friends.

That glass merchant mural for example is new to me, and I am admiring in the artist’s work how the “glass-ness” of the glass is painted, and in Sterkoder’s photography how the inclusion of the chimney growing out of the gable end…and the “portrait” format…completes a pleasing image. And regarding the work of that excellent photographer (now NO BLUSHING Sterkoder!), #524/1 is an unmistakable example of his assured and distinctive style. In fact it has set me off daydreaming instead of completing this appreciative post!!! (here I’m allowed to blush! ). I’m looking at the street scenes, picking some shop or other from amongst all the charming architecture … and imagining opening an art gallery with photo exhibitions on display. A pakarang room perhaps, and next to it a Sterkoder room in which this rusty chain takes pride of place.

But it was the ship that drew you here this visit, and now I am looking at #522/3 which so well illustrates the extraordinary spectacle of seeing a giant ship placed among this intimate streetscape. Both elements, ship and city, are perceived in a different way when they come together like this. You have captured the connection Sterkoder –we talked about this quite recently in the context of your home city too. And again you show me the ship from a different perspective than when I saw Caribbean Princess moored way out in the Forth estuary here in Scotland (though I tried to convey something of the relationship to her surroundings there too).

But it is undoubtedly her stern that exerts a considerable pull, irresistibly overcoming that part of one’s “rational” mind that is screaming “ I hate these so-called ships!”!!!!!! Ah, #527/2 and 3!! The first time I’d actually seen this kind of design of stern for myself at close quarters was Grand Princess in Copenhagen in 2009, and I wrote on CVF that it was “as if some giant troll was about to walk past, pick up the ship by this “handle”, and stride off along the Langelinie quay dangling it playfully by his side!”.

Thanks for a great day out…and for the seagull!

Added as Edit: no sooner had I posted this than I went on to look at the Cruise ships in Norwegian waters thread, and there ombugge has titled his web capture “Has someone dismantled the handle on this one?? Exactly! What a fascinating comparison.
              Last edited by Seagull; July 26th, 2012, 10:37.

Comment

Thank you on the update of that wall logo, 'Ombugge' and a big thanks for your comment Cecilia!!!

I enjoy Ålesund so much, and I want my own city to be like that during summertime.
                In Ålesund it seems like the passengers remain in the city when a cruiseship docks, and only being bussed to Atlanterhavsparken or Fjellstua.

Here in Kristiansund buses are waiting in line to take passengers to the Atlantic Road..., out of town, so that only a small handful of passengers are left walking Kristiansund.
                This generates no life compared to what I experience in Ålesund.

Someone wanted the local newspaper Tidens Krav to start writing about cruiseship arrivals beforehand again, like they did years ago.
                The writer said that people often came to the city from the ditrict around just to experience the cruiseship and life that was in Kristiansund such days.
                He wanted Tidens Krav to print the arrivals again, so that people could preplan their visit to Kristiansund. He wanted life in the city..., just like me.

This is exactly what I do before going to Ålesund, to check out the cruise calendar, so there's bound to be people who would want to come to Kristiansund for the same reason.

I think I will write a small article on the readers page in our newspaper, and give them the preliminary list of ships and dates for 2013.
                (In a hope to get more people visiting when a cruiseship arrives, just like we managed to create life in the city when SHTANDART visited).

Well, thanks again folks for coming along on my short walk around one of Norways most beautiful cities, and for motivating and inspirational comments!!!

Comment

How about offering a walking tour through the town (inkluding some Sundbaten trips) to the cruise companies.
                  Here is an example: http://www.visitkristiansund.com/de/Product/?TLp=43076

There must just be someone with an umbrella to do the leader.
                  They could offer it as an alternative trip on board. Maybe this is of interest for some people.
                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Thanks Ralf! Yes, I have many such thoughts in my head.
                    Yesterday I caved in and started to upload pictures to FB, and latwr I will make my albums official/public.
                    In a couple of albums I present Kristiansund and the region Nordmøre with Atlantic Road to the world.
                    In a couple of days I will also hava a readers letter in print in the local newspaper here, concerning cruise ships in Kristiansund. So you know, my brain is rather focused on "giving" Kristiansund to potential tourists..

Comment

Impressive shots Sterkoder.... Ålesund is certainly a wonderful destination.

Loved your massive Caribbean Princess shot... imagine when the ship gets scrapped in a decade or so, then buying it from the Indian scrappers and placing it on a rock towards the Norwegian sea as your personal private suite..

Or even the shopping cart handle on the back, which they are in the process of removing from their ships.... would make a nice addition to your beachfront property....
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

For those who know Aalesund well there is several short scenes here which is identifiable, despite the break-neck speed of the video and the skater: http://vimeo.com/gjelsten/home

Comment

The first autumn storm hit Aalesund a few days ago. This time laps video was made for smp.no: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/article504315.ece
                          The changing light is the main feature.

Comment

Thanks, 'Ombugge', for posting this link!
                            What a great area there is around Ålesund, and of course nothing much beat the city itself...
                            Hurtigruten being moored at the "inner" harbour. Due to wind I suppose?
                            I have one thing waiting for me, and that is one day to be at Alnæs lighthouse, be it nice weather or storm.

Comment

Those who have noticed the tunnel opening in the City Park in Aalesund, close to the steps to Fjellstua, may have wondered what is inside the steel gate??

Well, here is the answer, or at least part of the answer: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/alesundogo...icle508352.ece

Here is a direct link to the Video: http://www.smp.no/video/?videoId=1349

As can be seen, the system of tunnels and rooms inside the mountain is still in used, but for what??

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                                Those who have noticed the tunnel opening in the City Park in Aalesund, close to the steps to Fjellstua, may have wondered what is inside the steel gate??....
                                Yes, seen that, wondered! Absolutely fascinating links, ombugge.

Comment

Working...
                                X