Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Ålesund

Anybody going???
    If I were home the coming week-end, I would probably go to Ålesund, but I start my vacation Friday and in short; Ålesund is not on my list this time.
    Where I'm going...? It will remain a secret
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I was going to put these on one of the shipping threads, then changed my mind. For me a major part of the fun of Ålesund is watching the cargo ships come and go with real purpose, making this a 'real' place, so I thought I'd go for 'This is Ålesund' instead.

Late evening on the 23rd June this year, as Gann was approaching the berth , and Tananger from Torshavn was being unloaded in the bright evening sun.

The next evening, tea-time, and Ice Star came past the hotel window, past Braemar.

And then doing her party trick!!

Last edited by PoloUK; July 15th, 2012, 23:34.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
        The annual Boat Festival in Aalesund has started and will last through the week end.
        The Boat Festival suffered from low attendance due to the bad weather, but nothing stops the die hard boat people. Some did show up, as did spectators.

The slide at Apotekertorget is ready for the fun and games that come later:

Known as "Ta Sjangsen" I believe??
        The slide showed up to be a ski jump: http://www.smp.no/video/?videoId=1288
        Last edited by ombugge; July 22nd, 2012, 16:23.

Comment

Aalesund early morning:

Monday blues on a Saturday?

Comment

One of the ugliest ships floating is expected to Ålesund Wednesday 25. July at 0800 AM.
            I know I've had some very negative statements about shoeboxes like that before, but odd as it might seem, something is pulling me to Ålesund when CARRIBEAN PRINCESS arrive.
            We'll only know Wednesday morning if I go. I'll be sure to give you all a report if that's the case

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
              One of the ugliest ships floating is expected to Ålesund Wednesday 25. July at 0800 AM.
              I know I've had some very negative statements about shoeboxes like that before, but odd as it might seem, something is pulling me to Ålesund when CARRIBEAN PRINCESS arrive.
              We'll only know Wednesday morning if I go. I'll be sure to give you all a report if that's the case
              The Caribbean Princess is there:

If you go can you also have a look at this one at Brunholmen?

Looks like an old "Fjordbuss", but which one??

PS> Someone at Aalesund Havn should clean the lenses and check the position of their carmeras

Comment

According to the web site of Port of Aalesund, where you can click on the list "Fartøy i havn" (ships in port):
                It's MS Midthordaland, IMO- 5234539.

More about the ship here
                Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                  .... but odd as it might seem, something is pulling me to Ålesund when CARRIBEAN PRINCESS arrive....
                  No need to feel too embarrassed Sterkoder!!!!!…even I felt the pull too when she was here in May.

Comment

Latest:
                    I went to Ålesund with the 8:15 ferry from Molde
                    In Kristiansund it was 'downpouren mit katzen und hunden' to say it mildly, and a radar would've been appropriate for driving.

In Ålesund there was nice sunny weather, a light breeze and conditions for putting the jacket away.
                    And all those nice pax from the ship! Even got to talk to an old guy who looked forward to go to Iceland and be away from London during the olympics.
                    He was from a town 13 miles east of London and it was close to impossible to move around. He left home for this cruise...
                    We got in touch when I photographed a seagull, when he told me that it was his favourite bird. He loved watching them soar....
                    Couln't disagree on that one, being from Kristiansund where seagulls are the 'city official bird', so to say.

As I write this, I'm on board 'Romsdalsfjord' ferry on the way to Molde.
                    I'm loaded with pictures, 130 to be specific (so there ought to be at least one viewable), and I also got some new ones for me as well today, as I parked by the City Hall and walked over to the Scandic hotel and Mjolna area.

Pictures to come, stay tuned

EDIT:
                    That gray older one over at Brunholmen is 'Midthordland' all right..., and it's taken care of, to put it that way. Image will be posted.
                    Last edited by Sterkoder; July 25th, 2012, 14:05.

Comment

So..., after hours of editing, a dinner, a celebration visit to my parents..., here I'm back with pictures from todays visit to Ålesund.

Let me start with what met me when I came past the local dairy...., the monsterous a** of CARIBBEAN PRINCESS, which was the reason for my trip to Ålesund

On my way to Hessa, I drove by a huge parking lot to take a look at the bow end

Last edited by Sterkoder; July 26th, 2012, 00:22.

Comment

On this ship, the bridge section seem a little...., eh....., overkill, so I get a little impressed about its size

Well, time to pay a visit to Hessa again, and this is what it all looks like from the leisure boat marina over there.
                        (When I say marina, it's more like an onshore storage place for private boats)

And from the road shoulder close to Rieber, it all looks like this

It was time to mingle and walk around with the passengers.
                        Ålesund is full of details, if you lift your line of sight from the street to a bit higher up for a while

The arcitecture makes a photographer to go bananas...

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, this must be looking down the Kirkegata

I guess this former farmacy now holds the Jugenstilsenteret

Cruiseship viewed from a place around Brosundet Hotel, due south

Then there was the top spear of a house at the corner of Bakkegata and Apotekeregata.

A nice building where Brunholmgata and Molovegen meets.

Last edited by Sterkoder; July 26th, 2012, 12:06. Reason: Changed first picture so that image and text match

Comment

Inside that building on street level, is an art gallery.
                            You might spot a painting depicting the hurtigrute SANGT SVITUN and another hurtigrute painting in the lower part.
                            Due to refelctions, they might be difficult to spot

The Fiskerimuseet (Museum of fishery) and sailboat MAAKEN (Seagull) in the Moloveien area

The museum

The museum entrance, where you also walk out to the Moljå lighthouse, also being room nr. 47 at Hotel Brosundet.

And here it is..., room nr. 47

Its outside area

Comment

And here we go, me and my details

Aspø Skole looks like this from the lighthouse

As I walked in again on the breakwater, I discovered a house where flowerlovers must live

Yepp, there's no doubt

Comment

Oh, I forgot. While out there on the breakwater and lighthouse, I also took a picture of the arriving TIDEEKSPRESS

The asked for MIDTHORDLAND (by 'Ombugge' )

And in a distance, something I bet must be Alnæs lighthouse...??

Close to the Fiskerimuseet entrance, there was a glass workshop

Walking back to my car, I passed this building at the corner of Kirkegata and Hellegata

Nice details
                                Last edited by Sterkoder; July 26th, 2012, 01:46.

Comment

Working...
                                X