This is Ålesund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Ålesund

Looks like you have a great time in Aalesund and the surroundings in the beautiful weather they are experiencing now.
    If you want to see the bird life at Runde you would have to hike up the mountain and across to the SW side, or take a boat trip from Aalesund.

The other boat trip I recommended to Cecilia was to Ona, a village on some small islands so far out in the ocean that they get cigarettes duty free (almost).

Enjoy your trip around on the West Coast.

PS> My wife reports that the temperature registered by the thermometer on the veranda where I took all those COLD scenes in January showed 26 C the other day. That is downright tropical!!
    Last edited by ombugge; June 25th, 2012, 05:37.

Comment

OK Mark, since you missed Slinningsbaalet and the activity around it, here is a some pictures lifted from smp.no : http://www.smp.no/nyheter/article477434.ece
      Credit for the photos below can be found in the link.

First flames from the top of the bonfire:

Some hero climbed up there to set the fire.

Nice capture by someone:

Comment

At the best:

And than the top collapses:

Flaming inferno:

The accordion player comes extra.
        Last edited by ombugge; June 25th, 2012, 06:49.

Comment

The dear devils are always there:

So far nobody have been seriously hurt, either while building the bonfire, or from behaving like idiots around it while burning.

And then it is nearly over:

This is the one and only big bonfire in Aalesund now. In my young days there were 7 or 8 "Baal", each with their own "Baalgjeng" competing for who could collect the most wooden barrels and boxes and who's bone fire would last the longest.

It could get a bit out of hand, but it was a long standing tradition, which will probably be gone soon.

It has been posted on this tradition earlier in this thread (See Pg. 7, posts #128-133)

Comment

Flying Viking Ship is a fairly common thing in Amusement Parks around the world, but the real thing is rear: http://www.smp.no/video/?videoId=1248
            I think we will see more of this one when Sterkoder takes his family to Sunnmore Museum in Aalesund later this summer.

Comment

Fantastic shots from the Ålesund-bonfire... sad to read that the big "fire" in Ålesund soon might be history because there are fewer and fewer people wanting to help build them.

But, I saw a fantastic image at www.smp.no of the bonfire this year, with a coast guard vessel behind... impressive shot.
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                Saw the smoke and flames from the bonfire, and an awful lot of little boats, but didn't see the whole thing. Must have been impressive though!

Anyway - a few Ålesund photos from today. The weather here is fantastic - warm, sunny, fluffy white clouds - just fantastic. Got too many warm clothes with us!!

To start with, a couple of classic 'Ålesund from the mountain' cliche type shots - I know we've all seen a million variations on these, but it is an incredible view, and I think there's something different in every version you see. Braemar on the cruise berth.

Then something a little different. Thanks to advice that Ombugge gave Seagull a few months ago, we've been looking for the out of the ordinary, and today we drove down to the island of Runde. Two big ferries over glassy fjords, then a lovely rural drive. This is so, so beautiful - the bridges are like a miniature 'Atlantic Road' - but single track with passing places. Didn't see much in the way of exciting bird life, but some stunning views, some lovely beaches and a few million camper-vans (we don't have a word that covers 'Bobil' as well as Norwegian does!).

Well composed and very beautiful shots, Mark! Thumbs up!

I especially like the dynamics of the third one... the swinging bridge with mountains as a backdrop.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                  Fantastic shots from the Ålesund-bonfire... sad to read that the big "fire" in Ålesund soon might be history because there are fewer and fewer people wanting to help build them.

But, I saw a fantastic image at www.smp.no of the bonfire this year, with a coast guard vessel behind... impressive shot.
                  maybe you mean the picture I posted in 499/1???

Comment

Made a rather spontaneous trip to Ålesund and Åndalsnes today.
                    The reason why and such is written in my post #1040 in the HSC-thread.
                    After taking picture of the reason I went, "Celebrity Constellation", I walked for a while in the streets of Ålesund.

Fjellstua at Aksla

The famous (?) Freia clock (not working) at the bus terminal.

An old school, Aspøy skole, I belive. 'ombugge' might tell you more...

I think this was Kongens gate

A view towards Skansegata

A monument of Per Bolstad, the famous musician and composer born in Ålesund in 1875. ( † 1967 ).
                    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

'Avisgutten', a sculpture in Kongens gate.
                      This was a gift from the local newspaper Sunnmørsposten to Ålesund city in 1998, and it's made by Arne Martin Hansen.

A lion (a rather common animal in Ålesund) on the side of a door in the old postal office

Wonder if this logo has anything to do with the newspaper Sunnmørsposten?? (Found it on a wall..., see next picture).

I guess Kongens gate has the narrowest building in Ålesund? This can't be more than 3-4 meters wide
                      Last edited by Sterkoder; July 1st, 2012, 23:47.

Comment

The souvenir shop in Kongens gate were open, naturally...

A cinema building in Løvenvoldgata, I belive it was

Across the street from the cinema was this beautiful building...

...with very nice details

And overhead, flew this Rotax-powered Kitfox Classic 4

Well, then it was time to leave this beautiful city and head for Åndalsnes. Hope you liked the short stroll

Comment

Ålesund is such a beautiful town... among one of my favorites in Norway, no doubt!

Loved that old style Freia sign by the way! We had one in Trondheim too, but it was replaced (as in removed).

Comment

The annual Boat Festival in Aalesund has started and will last through the week end.

Boats have started to arrive and more will be there later:

The stage and the food tent is in place:

Anybody going???

The slide at Apotekertorget is ready for the fun and games that come later:

Known as "Ta Sjangsen" I believe??
                            Last edited by ombugge; July 11th, 2012, 16:34.

Comment

Anybody going???
                              If I were home the coming week-end, I would probably go to Ålesund, but I start my vacation Friday and in short; Ålesund is not on my list this time.
                              Where I'm going...? It will remain a secret

Comment

I was going to put these on one of the shipping threads, then changed my mind. For me a major part of the fun of Ålesund is watching the cargo ships come and go with real purpose, making this a 'real' place, so I thought I'd go for 'This is Ålesund' instead.

Late evening on the 23rd June this year, as Gann was approaching the berth , and Tananger from Torshavn was being unloaded in the bright evening sun.

The next evening, tea-time, and Ice Star came past the hotel window, past Braemar.

And then doing her party trick!!

Last edited by PoloUK; July 15th, 2012, 23:34.
                                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X