This is Ålesund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Ålesund

I apologize for the blurred pictures in the earlier posts. It is hard to get clear sharp pictures with the lens full of raindrops and fingers frozen stiff.

The following is from my oldest son who are "professional", with proper camera and able to photoshop away smudges.

Here is the answer to my last post; not seals but surfers paddling to catch the next good wave:

One made a short run:

Here we go again:

He is up and running:

All good things have to come to end end:

A wet and cold end.

How this can be fun I don't know. As can be seen here the cold got to me without being in the water:

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
      The parking lot from where we observed Nordlys fighting for its life in September will need some cleaning up:

Somebody may not have got the message that a severe storm was coming:

how is it possable that the cars are hardly damaged,specially the range rover so close to the waterfront
      best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
        how is it possable that the cars are hardly damaged,specially the range rover so close to the waterfront
        Good question, for which I have no answer. I doubt that the cars had been parked there AFTER the event, but I obviously don't know.

Here is a better picture of the Land Rover:

And a different view of the parking lot:
        Last edited by ombugge; December 27th, 2011, 00:25.

Comment

the gravel is till her rearaxle,and there so big pieces,there had atleast had made some scratshes
          best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
            the gravel is till her rearaxle,and there so big pieces,there had atleast had made some scratshes
            There were scratches and the front had been damaged from contact with the large stones, which may indicate that it had been shifted by the waves.

Here is some more car damages. This one had been hit by a disintegrating pick-nick table and bench:

It was parked on the bus terminal seen in several earlier posts.

And her a Fishing boat blown ashore at Valderoya:

Right now it is blowing a force 9, which is just "normal" for Aalesund.

Comment

Very much appreciate these photos of storm struck Ålesund, Ombugge.
              The state of the parking lot does indeed look like wave damage during the worst of the storm. I wonder if high tides at the time exacerbated the situation. The image that most conveys to me the strength of the wind itself is that red car…amazing how much damage a picnic table can do.
              Well that had me wondering how it has been Trondheim for our Captain. I saw Korsfjord was at Lade yesterday evening, and that early morning start back to Flakk today.

And ombugge, tell your son those photos are magnificent, and that I especially like #423/4, the one you labelled “up and running”.
              Hope you got a nice warming drink after your cold day out .

Comment

A bit update on the situation in Aalesund now that normal working days have commenced.

Let's have a look at the parking lot that was featured earlier:

Radisson Blue has done very little clearing up:

Maybe they are awaiting the Insurance Surveyor?

Work has resumed at the Raadhus:
                Last edited by ombugge; January 3rd, 2012, 22:18.

Comment

Aalesund from an angle not normally seen:

From smp.no today. Photo by Roger Engvik

Comment

It is indeed a different angle on Ålesund, and serves to make me aware of the extent and geography of suburbs I was scarcely aware of and have never reached!…strange for me actually, as I get around all over the place in Trondheim and Tromsø for instance. Perhaps I am always too tired after climbing all those steps up the irresistible Aksla! …or perhaps it’s time I should make another visit!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                      It is indeed a different angle on Ålesund, and serves to make me aware of the extent and geography of suburbs I was scarcely aware of and have never reached!…strange for me actually, as I get around all over the place in Trondheim and Tromsø for instance. Perhaps I am always too tired after climbing all those steps up the irresistible Aksla! …or perhaps it’s time I should make another visit!!!!
                      Maybe I have posted this one before, but i doesn't harm to show it again:

Next time you should take a couple of days in Aalesund and the surroundings. Sunnmore has a lot of nature to offer, other than Geiranger.
                      Take a trips to Runde, Ona and Hjorundfjord and other attractions within a few hours travel by boat or bus from Aalesund.

PS> This picture is quite a few years old, I think.

PPS> Here is a link to a number of tours and activities being offered in/from Aalesund: http://www.62.no/?lang=2
                      Last edited by ombugge; January 5th, 2012, 21:14.

Comment

On the 1st day of New Year we walked through the grounds of Sunnmore Museum:

We noticed a number of fallen trees within the grounds:

Last edited by ombugge; January 4th, 2012, 19:04.

Comment

The surprising thing was that none of the trees had hit any of the "exhibits":

Comment

The destruction had also affected the Graveyard at Borgund Kirke:

Comment

While we are at the Museum, here is an old schoolhouse decorated for X-mas:

And the flag was hoisted, this being a public flag day in Norway:

Comment

Of cause I had to look at the boats belonging to the Museum to see if they had survived unscathed.

Borgundknarren was ashore and looked well protected:

Comment

Working...
                                X