This is Ålesund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Ålesund

Work is also progressing to refurbish the old wooden houses at Moloveien in Aalesund:

Comment

Hessaskaret was featured in post #341.
      Here is a view from town:
      Last edited by ombugge; September 16th, 2011, 23:31.

Comment

Without zoom:

North side of Hessa and "Sukkertoppen" as seen from Storhaugen:

Slinningen as seen from Storhaugen:

Fjellstua as seen from Storhaugen:
        Last edited by ombugge; September 16th, 2011, 23:33.

Comment

I was especially pleased to see the refurbishment in progress in Moloveien, Ombugge. I’ve always liked that little road and have usually wandered along there at some point when I’ve stayed over in Ålesund.

I tend to enjoy juxtapositions of old and new in architecture and townscape, but perhaps I ought to wait until that hotel area is finished and come and wander around there before passing judgement and convincing myself that there haven’t been too many compromises to “fit in”. Meanwhile #344/3 looks awfully “officeblocky” but I quite liked the recessed fire escape stairs in #345/1, and that there are some rooms that have corner windows –always a nice feel being in such a room.

Comment

As a matter of fact, I was on a quick visit to Ålesund today. I decided to go yesterday, around midnight, and at 8:15 today I drove on board the ferry "Fannefjord" in Molde.
            The reason for going was the hurtigrute "Fram"s visit from 07:00 to 11:00 today. I just HAD to see her in real life!
            The second reason was of course the listing hurtigrute "Nordlys". Also as far as she goes, I just HAD to see her. It was a feeling of need to 'sit at a friends sick bed', if you see what I mean.
            On my way home, I stoped by Sunnmøre Museum, and I can assure you: when I'm finished editing pictures and all, you're in for a treat.
            I returned with the 14:15 ferry from Vestnes, "Romsdalsfjord", and on direct request from our captain, there will also be some ferry pictures to look at.
            But hey, all in due time. Now I will go out and mow my lawn for the last time this season. See ya later, folks!!
            Last edited by Sterkoder; September 17th, 2011, 17:01.
            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Sterkoder! It just gave me a really good feeling to read your post, and that you’d made up your mind to head for Ålesund. Understand absolutely about seeing Fram and wanting to be with Nordlys, bless you.

What an action-packed day! Sounds like so many treats in store for us later …but right now just the thought of all that lawn you have to mow is making me feel quite tired!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                ....Now I will go out and mow my lawn for the last time this season. See ya later, folks!!
                The house owner at my home too, did this today.... and she didn't seem to enjoy it, so I told her she won't have to do it too many times more this year, and that in a month or two, the white blanket will have returned.

PS: She is not fond of the snow either (just like me).
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

so I told her she won't have to do it too many times more this year
                  And a gentleman would naturally have suggested doing it for her... (mohahahahaha)

Now, here are some images from a stop over at Sunnmøre Museum outside Ålesund Saturday. Always when in Ålesund, we have just passed the museum, so I was amazed at how great it was once there, and for us enjoying old boats and old houses..., this is 'paradise'!!

A couple of images from the carpark of the museum

Not too saticfied with this. Strong head on sunshine from a sharp and relatively low autumn sun.

View from the dockside and maritime dept. of the museum

They also have a viking ship there. It was in total dark shadow, so I had to increase my ISO, and also use flashlight. The result is killing to the background, so bare with me

Comment

Moored at the museum is the museum boat "Heland", a cutter used from November 1941 to February 1942 to bring refugies from Sunnmøre to Shetland.
                    Later she became one of the fishing boats in the Shetlandsgjengens fleet.
                    Restored and in a condition as she was when she left the fisheries in the 1960s.

A beauty she is

Boat details

Comment

Boat details continued

Comment

A rope at the dock

The nameplate of the old viking vessel "Borgundknarren"

Bowsection of "Borgundknarren"

Detail of her rigging
                        Last edited by Sterkoder; September 18th, 2011, 18:45.

Comment

Time to move along from the docks and over to the museum area of old buildings, farmhouses, stabburs and equipment houses

Comment

The buildings are collected from different parts of Sunnmøre, but I must admit that I don't remember alkl the names

This particular picture sets my mind to some place in southern Germany or some place near that area. Borgund church in the background of a riverdriven saw. I belive all farms in visinity of a waterfall had one.

Borgund church was built around year 1130 and can seat 850 people

A shed to cover a waterdriven wheel, used to drive a farm saw, a mill or something.

A 'stabbur', a farmhouse used for food storage. If you look closely at the "feet" arrangement, you'll see that it will be impossible for any small animal (mice in particular) to enter the house. Also the step in front of the door is not in contact with the building for that reason.

Comment

The 'stabbur' from the other side

Details from this house

Another 'stabbur'

A 'slipstein' used to sharpen the grasscutting equipment called a 'ljå' in norwegian

Dalsbygda school from the 1800s

Comment

A cosy window on a building near the school from last post

And finally, heading back to my car, here's a couple of boathouses near the carpark

Hope you enjoyed this short visit to Sunnmøre Museum with me....

Comment

Working...
                                X