This is Ålesund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Ålesund

Ivy, you put my sentiments about QM2 in the right words!! I was struggling how to describe it, while reading this WONDERFUL thread (thank you so much, Sterkoder), when i read your post. She is not balanced very well. It looks like someone gave a severe hit at the bow during the building phase. The hull made a hop in direction of the stern, but the superstructure stayed in its place. Then they tried to repair the stern lines, but... As i have learned, the lower stern line has this form to minimize the rolling of the ship, but correct me, if i am wrong.
    Her best advantage is that she motivated Sterkoder to get up early and present us such pretty pictures of Alesund. Of course my favourite is that one with "Lofoten leaving to Geiranger..."
    Last edited by Ralf__; July 18th, 2011, 09:29.
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

From the posterity of QM2 and back to Aalesund, or more precisely, to my old home island of Hessa, a suburb of Aalesund under fast development.

Here it is as seen from the air a few days ago:

Sukkertoppen looks a little flattened in this view, but you can see why it is also known as "Hessahvalen" (the Hessa whale).

Slinningen is the rump of the "whale", so let us start there.

A new development at Slinningsodden:

You may have your own opinion about the architecture of this residence. Three more of the same being constructed on the newly reclaimed land here.
      Last edited by ombugge; September 24th, 2011, 10:37. Reason: Update pics.

Comment

Already in place is these twin dwellings:

The old "Soap Factory" will be demolished to make way for another 21 flats in low-raised blocks:

This building has been more or less abandoned for the last 50 years or so, with occasional attempts at reviving it.

Comment

An old friend has reappeared at it's traditional mooring place:

"SVINT" was built in 1949 as a means for the local newspaper to get their reporters quickly to the scene of any local news story, but became surplus to requirements in 1970. Now owned as a private pleasure craft by the son of the original skipper.

Comment

Put the prominent building at Slinningsodden is still "Slinningsbua":

An old wooden wear house that has been featured extensively on CVF, both by Sterkoder and myself in earlier postings.

Looking at the condition, I don't think this will be with us for very long, unless something is done quickly:

The SW wall, which is exposed to the strongest winter storms look badly weakened to me.

One more abandoned building is this small old residential house just behind the large "Slinningsbua":

Even with it's own monument in what goes for the garden. (Featured in "What place is this recently")

Comment

Another place that has been featured both by Sterkoder and myself lately is Naustberge:

This was our summer playground and bathing place.

New houses is spouting all along the new road along the seaside and up on what used to be farmland in my childhood:

This one is very much in the traditional style from a hundred years ago or so:

But there were other in more modern style and in various stages of construction. Notably was that many were constructed with pre-fabricated concrete elements.

A few of the old boat houses (Naust) is still standing:

While others are under construction all along the beach:
              Last edited by ombugge; September 14th, 2011, 16:04.

Comment

Another thing that hasn't changed much is the view towards the mountains to the South East:

Although there are notably less snow and ice that survive the summers.

Or to the SW and West:

Comment

At the westernmost extreme of Hessa is Stavneset:

Looks like collecting of pallet for next years Midsummer bonfire has already started:

But the most prominent feature here is the Hessa I.L. Club house and Football Field:

The Mother club for Jon-Arne Riise and his brother, both now playing for Fulham in EPL.

PS> The actual field is behind the trees, not the sand patch in front.
                  Last edited by ombugge; September 14th, 2011, 16:14.

Comment

And finally, Hessaskaret, on the North side of the island of Hessa. I grew up here, but there is nothing left of the old wooden buildings along the sea front.

What has come in place is this:

With one resident at the waterfront:

Badly overgrown from lack of activity:

The only somewhat recognizable feature is the old Ferry Wharf, which was the center of activity before the bridge to town was completed in 1953:

Although it has been joined up with the new development to the right.

PS> The view of the town has not changed all that much over the years. Details yes, but the over-all view is much the same.
                    Last edited by ombugge; September 14th, 2011, 16:34.

Comment

Great report, 'ombugge!
                      You used some of my exact spots when visiting your city for the QM2 arrival in July, and most interesting, it seems like there has been some changes even since I were there.
                      One sad thing I notice though is that "Slinningsbua" seems much more weatherbeaten and torn now than two months ago...
                      Last edited by Sterkoder; September 15th, 2011, 00:28.
                      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                        Great report, 'ombugge!
                        You used some of my exact spots when visiting your city for the QM2 arrival in July, and most interesting, it seems like there has been some changes even since I were there.
                        One sad thing I notice though is that "Slinningsbua" seems much more weatherbeaten and torn now than two m onths ago...
                        As said, Hessa is a suburb in fast development. From a farm and fishing community with a few hundred inhabitants, no cars and no bridge connection to town until 1953, it is now bursting at the seams, with several thousand residents and more moving in every year.

Comment

Aalesund is well known for it's Jugend style buildings.

Here is a new development which breaks totally with that style, as seen from the seaside:

Comment

At the same time the developer is playing lip service to the requirement by incorporating one of the iconic jugend buildings in their new hotel:

A nice touch is this "bridge" and basin, allowing small boats to sail all the way up to and even under the new section:

It got too dark to get pictures of the contrasting "front" of the hotel towards the street. (Nedre Strandgate)
                            Last edited by ombugge; September 15th, 2011, 00:32.

Comment

Here is the very Jugend style front building of Quality Hotel Harbourfront in Aalesund:

Comment

The work to refurbish the "Raadhus" in Aalesund is progressing, using one of the most unusual mobile cranes I have ever seen:

Will it be an improvement??:

The North wall is still "bare":

Comment

Working...
                                X