Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Ålesund

Oh, just a little comment on our friend 'ombugge's quote here:
    until Slinningsodden, where she will be very close. (There may be some other photographer there though)
    I was all alone, completely by my self from passing Skarbøvik all the way to Slinningsodden and the hole time I was there. Not a soul in my visinity...
    Did not see another person until I reached Prestekaia....

(But that's quite ok, as I like to operate alone, not having to think about others when consentrating on taking my pictures)
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Hope you are well rested after your "pilgrimage" by the time you read this, Svein.

Looks like you had a busy but enjoyable day in Aalesund, and with beautiful weather as well, although it may have interfered with your picture taking at Slinningsodden. (That is not a given in Aalesund, even in the middle of summer)

Nice to see our old playground "Naustberga" in post #308, 4-6. That was the swimming place for Hessa when I grew up there.
      I posted a picture of the place as it looked in winter in post #243-7 , just for comparison.

As to the lack of interest from the locals on an early Saturday morning; that may be because the QM2 is a "regular" in Aalesund, so no excitement.
      She will be back on 07.Aug. for an even longer stay.

Do I understand that the spotter place in Nedre Standgate is now blocked by the new Quality Hotel, which has been completed since I was there last??

For good measure I'll throw in a picture of Hessa and Sukkertoppen taken from Langevaagen yesterday, but without QM2:

PS> Your spotting place at Naustberga abt. middle of Hessa and the picture.
      Last edited by ombugge; July 17th, 2011, 05:07.

Comment

Do I understand that the spotter place in Nedre Standgate is now blocked by the new Quality Hotel, which has been completed since I was there last??
        Yes, but in fact I belive the place is better now because they have built sort of a promenade walkway from the west side of the new hotel over to the corner of Prestekaia.
        Now we can come further out over the sea than it appeared from the satellite photos you could do before, if you see what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
          Yes, but in fact I belive the place is better now because they have built sort of a promenade walkway from the west side of the new hotel over to the corner of Prestekaia.
          Now we can come further out over the sea than it appeared from the satellite photos you could do before, if you see what I mean.
          Yes I see what you mean. This is what it looked like last time I was there:

You appears to have taken a liking to that old building at Slinningsodden. (Slinningsbua) Maybe you can use your contacts to alert Mr Thon of a great opportunity at a great location? Judging by your pictures, if nothing happen soon I'm afraid this one will go the way several other old wooden buildings on Hessa, it will either burn down or blow down in the next winter storm.

PS> And it is Prestebrygga and Stornespiren, which together form the Cruise Terminal. We old "Aalesundere" are particular about such thing.
          (Nearly as particular as you are about names in Kristiansund)

Comment

Double posting. Removed by author
            Last edited by ombugge; July 17th, 2011, 12:46.

Comment

And it is Prestebrygga and Stornespiren, which together form the Cruise Terminal. We old "Aalesundere" are particular about such thing.
              (Nearly as particular as you are about names in Kristiansund)
              Oh yes, I can assure you, I know what you're talking about!
              I'm not an "old" kristiansunder myself, but I'm very picky about names places and details. If you present something in public, it must be as correct as possible, is my view.
              Therefore I've used quite some time on research here, and it kills me having referred to Prestebrygga as Prestekaia more than once!

Anyway..., here's what Quality Hotel looks like today (yesterday)

As I have not found other names of the place, I refer to the area down by those private onshore boats as Olsvika, and here are an image of the mirror one from earlier

And a few meters west of it was these old seahouses/warehouses (brygger)

When I was up there at Aksla, as I said yesterday I had to go over to a couple of ponds up there to get a view of QM2 without that yellow crane obstructing it.
              Here's the entrance to one of those ponds

Lovely recreational area, and well kept

Comment

Finally, some more from Aksla itself.
                Some of the passengers from QM2 wanted to try the 418 steps up from the city park below, going up to the restaurant 140 meters above sea level...

The yacht down there, the outer vessel, is "Daydream" registered at Bikini islands.
                The red little lighthouse there, is room nr. 47 of the Hotel Brosundet. It's a suite with personal service as among other things you can have your breakfast brought out to you
                (Note to those who see it but don't dare mention it: Yes, I have dust in my camera yet again!!! See that spot there in the middle of the sound between "Daydream" and the red lighthouse? )

Jumping back for a second to another "daydream". Here's one more image of that 'wannabe' pirate over at Olsvika. Wander if this could have been a fun vessel to have operational, because the proportions looks very ok, and the design is not a 'hurting' one to look at...

Back to the city again, as we see an image taken from Aksla overlooking the Brosundet and what must be St. Olavs Plass, where the consert scene has been made ready for the Saturday evening D.D.E. consert.
                Last edited by Sterkoder; July 17th, 2011, 13:09.

Comment

Since I've already posted a 'non-Ålesund' image in this thread (mountain at Ørskog), let me post my last two images from this very, very nice trip..., to one of the most beautiful cities in Norway...., the former Sjøholt Hotel, a 110 years old building at Sjøholt now put up for sale.
                  There are so many details here, and in my mind, I was standing there thinking: Poor man, in charge of the paintjob!!!
                  Note also, there's a door there, going straight out into thin air..., in fact there are two when looking at it for a while.

Last edited by Sterkoder; July 17th, 2011, 13:12.

Comment

What do you mean
                    to one of the most beautiful cities in Norway....
                    I'l have you know it has been voted THE most beautiful city in Norway.

Glad you enjoyed you short visit. You could do worse then repeating that to catch three ship on the same day twice next week.

PS> I'm surprised to see the Quality Hotel. It must stand out like a sore thumb among the Judgen house around it.
                    Last edited by ombugge; July 17th, 2011, 14:03.

Comment

Svein, I know I'll be howled down by every CVF member, but I don't like the QM2, that stern and the top-heavy, long bridge deck which from the aesthetic point of view completely ruins the view of the bows - ugh. It may be the best-looking modern cruise ship, but well........
                      But of all your excellent photos, the one I like best of the Mary is at #311.5 Yes, I know there is flare at the left, but otherwise that beautiful sweep of the bows, emphasised by the upward line of the reflection of the quayside on the ship, is great. Now that's the kind of view I like, much more appealing than the blocky head-on bows view which seems so popular. If you're going to photograph a ship then an awareness of good lines is essential, and you have it here.
                      Thank you for a most interesting tour, Svein.
                      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                        What do you mean
                        I'l have you know it has been voted THE most beautiful city in Norway.

Glad you enjoyed you short visit. You could do worse then repeating that to catch three ship on the same day twice next week.

PS> I'm surprised to see the Quality Hotel. It must stand out like a sore thumb among the Judgen house around it.
                        Hahahahah...., you know, I can't take notice of a national poll, because that might not be what I mean.
                        First we have Kristiansund, then we have Trondheim and of course Bergen/Ålesund, which, in my view, place Ålesund amongst one of the most beautiful cities in Norway
                        EDIT: Oh, and I completely forgot to even mention RØROS...., the city which sort of drag me to it...

Svein, I know I'll be howled down by every CVF member, but I don't like the QM2, that stern and the top-heavy, long bridge deck which from the aesthetic point of view completely ruins the view of the bows - ugh. It may be the best-looking modern cruise ship, but well........
                        Ivy, you know..., not everything are great with QM2, I mean that "box" on the stern, no spring whatsoever, and the top-heavy thing you mention, but compared to all of the 'shoeboxes' sailing, she's one of my favourites of that size.
                        Of course we have everal older ships, like "Saga Ruby", but they are operating in a different class...
                        Last edited by Sterkoder; July 17th, 2011, 18:44.

Comment

Svein - I love you for ever. "... the top-heavy thing", I really thought you would leap to its defence. And you used "spring" in relation to the stern, now that's the very word I ought to have chosen when I was talking about your photo in #311, yes, that line of the bows as you have caught it does just spring.
                          And "shoeboxes" - I love it.
                          Ivy

Comment

And you used "spring" in relation to the stern
                            No, not quite.
                            When I say 'spring' (in lack of an english word), I refer to the line between the tip of the bow and the tip of the stern.
                            If that line is horizontal, as in all modern cruise ships, the ship has no spring.
                            If that line has a nice curve downward, the ship has a spring.

Example:

Beautiful "Saga Rose" here, in Kristiansund harbour in July 2009, has a wonderful spring-line

"Prinsendam", also on our harbour in July 2009, has no spring at all. Straight as a 2-by-4...
                            Last edited by Sterkoder; September 14th, 2011, 20:42. Reason: Correcting my english;-D

Comment

Thanks very much for that explanation, Svein, and the pics. you put on to illustrate it. I'm learning more and more about ships!
                              Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                                Thanks very much for that explanation, Svein, and the pics. you put on to illustrate it. I'm learning more and more about ships!
                                As you see on the "Saga Rose", the spring is there on all decks, so that the hole ship has a curve. Just like a ship should have.
                                When walking on such a ship, you know you are on a sea voyage, whereas when walking around on board one of the modern monsters, you might as well be in a hotel or shopping mall (says the man who's never been on a cruise).

Comment

Working...
                                X